Who picked a better Veep for the race?

Which Candidate made a better choice in the Vice President Candidate?

• Obama. His choice of Biden was better.

Votes: 85 59.0%
  • McCain. His choice of Palin was better.

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • I have no idea how this is going to play out.

Votes: 22 15.3%

• Total voters
My first reaction is that Biden was WAY better of a pick and I can't figure out why McCain would pick someone so weak in stature/qualifications to be a heartbeat away from the highest job in the land. She may turn out to be great and I'll just have to wait to get to know her, but I think he just commited campaign suicide. CNN was getting emails from women saying they were insulted by this. And for me I'm seriously concerned by how it all came about. He had only met/spoken with the women once before giving her the VP ticket about 1 week ago. There were far more qualified governers out there such as Governer Crist of Florida. I think Crist would have made a much better pick.

On the positive side, I am happy he chose a Pro-Life candidate.

Though knowing McCain's (and the male species) weakness for fairly beautiful women, I wonder if he's been bitten with a wandering eye for her... I'm just saying. It's a thought that crosses your mind.

But this is a total let down for me. Now I'm so leaning towards Biden and Obama. The biggest problem I have is how spontaneously he decided on her without really getting to know her over a few weeks.

I'll repost the neocon discussion below. THey don't like her. I think she will turn out to be bad because of this, she nails down the holy rollers but I suspect she drives away the tough guy Repubs. because of inexperience AND she is a woman. Remember how tough Hillary was acting, it is because the macho types have trouble with a woman commander and chief. It steps on McCains strength argument. He was going to be ready to lead meaning protect us from evil doers. That is his whole deal-POW doesn't like economics. So for all the people that message appeals to how many will like Palin? What does she bring to the ticket besides her gender? OK that is a plus but to most women it will be seen for what it is and the neocons will be like WTF.

Quite so.

But what can/will the neo-cons actually do about that?
Assassinate her, stay at home or vote for Obama I doubt.

She may not be their choice, but I rather think they will come
out and vote for John McCain as their least worse choice.

The way I see it, and my perception is from England,
so please correct me, is that what John McCain doesn't want
to risk is people buying into the third Bush term argument.

By selecting Sarah Palin, the complete anti-thesis to
Dick Cheney; he is saying that he is for change too
and that his admin won't be continue to be the tool
of neocon adventurist weaponsfare lobbyists etc.

All she has to do is avoid any too public gaffe.

Key word being moderate. Palin is anything but. Republican arguments here are essentially cipher for 'Hillary's supporters are stupid women who make decisions based on how many X chromosomes the vicepresident has.'

Also, most people aren't so hung up on executive experience that they want a woman with 2 freaking years of said executive experience.

Margaret Thatcher had just as little experience before she became Prime Minister, and I'd say she was a very good Prime Minister for the U.K.

Time will tell whether this selection is more Dan Quayle or Margaret Thatcher. Either way, both are winners. The worst case scenerio is she's Geraldine Ferraro in which then, McCain made a mistake and loses.

I'm not sure those old timer conservatives stuck out in the rural farmlands with discrimatory views about a woman's role will rally behind her and vote though. Democrat's are much more likely to have success with such a historical selection.

I remind folks of the Zogby interview I listened to about 2 weeks ago. He was under the impression that the final vote wasnt going to be close at all, and that the election would break one way or another after the conventions. Maybe this (choosing Palin) is how it starts.

Indeed....

My dad's side of the family is from Chicago... maybe we're like... long lost cousins or something.

My dad's side of the family is from Chicago... maybe we're like... long lost cousins or something.

Opposite end of the state.

I first went to Chicago in 2006.

I remind folks of the Zogby interview I listened to about 2 weeks ago. He was under the impression that the final vote wasnt going to be close at all, and that the election would break one way or another after the conventions. Maybe this is how it starts.
You betcha.

Glad to see people surf my months old threads! Yahoo!

And fwiw, Zogby didnt say it would break republican, so you guys might be right. But a lot still can happen in a month. Lets see what happens once the finance crap dies down.

It's not going to die down in time to save the day for McCain.

I don't know if he meant the crisis would die down, or if Finance the industry would literally die down.

I don't know if he meant the crisis would die down, or if Finance the industry would literally die down.

we have less than 2 weeks for there to be a positive shift in the near term future of our economy, for mccain to get any of his numbers back. after 2 weeks of more 401(k) paring i don't think mccain will have the ability to say or do anything to win.

Glad to see people surf my months old threads! Yahoo!

It was a good topic! I try to reuse threads when I know that they're there... 'cause I usually don't remember or aren't aware of them.

And fwiw, Zogby didnt say it would break republican, so you guys might be right.

I know...

But a lot still can happen in a month. Lets see what happens once the finance crap dies down.

True... but this problem didn't suddenly materialize overnight; people just suddenly became aware of it overnight. Even post-bailout, the DOW doesn't seem happy. This isn't going away quickly.

Top Bottom