Who plays as Churchill?

Roughcut

Chieftain
Hello Civ 4 fans,

I am working on a documentary about Sir Winston Churchill and am looking to speak to someone who regularly plays as Churchill in Civ4.

I’m keen to speak to someone about why they choose to play as Churchill, and what it is about him that appeals to them, with a view to filming them for the documentary. They must be UK based.

Please PM me if you are interested or you know of someone who might be.

Thanks all.

I can honestly say that I have never chosen a civ based on what I thought of the leader.
It's always been about traits and civ characteristics.

Heck i'd play Hitler if he was ind/phi.

But maybe it matters to others.

The problem with Churchill is, that the two other english leaders are just way better, so you won't find any of the EQM-aspirants or EQM's playing Churchill, because he's just plain weak.

1. It's just a game.
2. Have you ever played as Stalin?
Or any of the other evil leaders?

And yes, I'm old enough that we saw those pictures in our history classes.
I assumed they still did that.

Stalin was bad, and so was Mao..
but Hitler was pure Evil, somewhere i draw a line.
And not a kind of fictional evil, i can live with that.

Had he won, he might have destroyed our whole world.
That is *not* the case with Stalin. And that's not gaming material for me, i would feel full of disrespect to those who suffered and they are many more than under Stalin cos he started the worst war in history.

World War II deaths

Estimates for the total casualties of the war vary, because many deaths went unrecorded. Most suggest that some 75 million people died in the war.

Copied from Wiki.
Everybody can do what he likes, but i always have only such words when Hitler is mentioned. No offense.

Moderator Action: Let's not have a Hitler vs. Stalin discussion here.

I'm not sure that this would help your documentary at all, people don't pick leaders in these games for their history, but simply for their individual in game traits and bonuses.

Yeah, after you've picked your leader, you never see any reference to them for the whole of the rest of the game. You could pick Churchill and call yourself "Churchill", but then again you could pick any other leader and call yourself Churchill. I choose some weird name off the top of my head each game even when I am picking a specific leader, though usually I just let the computer pick a random leader for me. Role-playing doesn't make much sense since who knows what Churchill would have done in a bronze-age context, and obviously no-one really lives for 6000 years.

I can honestly say that I have never chosen a civ based on what I thought of the leader.
It's always been about traits and civ characteristics.

Heck i'd play Hitler if he was ind/phi.

But maybe it matters to others.

AH in Legends of Revolution is Agg/Cha, his UB gives XP bonuses for units built in that city, and he has two Industrial-era UUs. If you like mid to late game wars, he’s your man. I play him when I want to stomp AIs – he’s Boudica with a better UB.

Pericles is Phi/Ind in LoR.

I think you might get more results asking people what they thought of while playing against him. You would get better results probably. Or even asking Firaxis what their thought process was, but that was probably too long ago.

Thanks everyone, being a non-Civ player (and can't find a smiley for embarrassed) I wasn't sure how playing Churchill played out, I think from your responses you're right that it wouldn't quite work for the film.

Really appreciate your assistance.

AH in Legends of Revolution is Agg/Cha, his UB gives XP bonuses for units built in that city, and he has two Industrial-era UUs. If you like mid to late game wars, he’s your man. I play him when I want to stomp AIs – he’s Boudica with a better UB.

I don't know which version of LoR you are playing, but in mine Hitler is not a leader.

Ah, an outdated one.

From the game perspective I have chosen Churchill [Cha/Pro] when the 'Unrestrictive Leaders' option is checked for the Celts and Spain, since he builds their Duns and Citadels faster and makes Celtic Archers and Spain's Cannons just ridiculously powerful.

I don't see why so many people seem to dislike Churchill, as far as Protective leaders go he's actually pretty good. Insta Drill 2 drafted Redcoats roflstomp everything in their era and before, and with the right setup you can get to Drill 4 pretty easily. Then again you could argue that with Elizabeth's and Victoria's economic boosts you would get Rifling much earlier, but I'm talking about Churchill on his own merits rather than relative to the other available leaders of England.

Top Bottom