1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Plays Civ5 / BE

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by krasny, Nov 20, 2014.

?

What Is Your Civ Background

1. I'm a Civ Grognard

113 vote(s)
    86.9%
  2. Civ5 / BE Is My First Civ Game.

17 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. krasny

krasny Prince

I am rather curious as to who plays Civ5/BE.

Is it mostly Civ grognards or people new to the hobby?

Please don't comment unless you feel you have to, just vote.

2. Kutuzov

Kutuzov Prince

Been playing since Civ 2.

I would hate to think how much of the time of my life I have spent playing these games. More than every other game/franchise that I've played combined, just for starters, and then more...

3. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

my hunch is that 80% max of people in cbe have either been civ5 players or curious civ4 players. I find it hard to imagine that someone who has heard of civ suddenly got the urge to play only now, but someone who hasn't played civ and first heard of it through cbe marketing must be very young indeed. Perhaps too young to be on this forum. CFC has an age restriction right? :old:

4. Haggbart

Haggbart King

Been playing on and off since Civ1. First game I was old enough to really enjoy playing was good old Colonization, also SMAC and Civ 3. But I've put most hours in Civ4 and CiV.

5. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I have no idea what's a Grognard, but neither Civ5 nor BE were my first Civ games. I played the original as a kid. Didn't have a clue about how it works, but I was compelled

6. m15a

m15a Emperor

7. kirbdog

kirbdog King

Of course the forum population will be skewed to older fans compared to the total Civ-playing population. You'd get different results (although still skewed towards "grognards" because they bother to say anything) on Steam.

You might get better results simply looking at sales numbers for Civ IV and V and making some guesstimate of the percentage of people who would have bought V after buying IV. However there is a difference between ownership and playing due to the high number of people who buy without playing or play without buying.

Good luck getting a good answer. :)

8. Xenotitan

Xenotitan Prince

It looks like I'm one of the few that got into the series with Civ V. I probably would have gotten into the series earlier though if I had been more exposed to it. I might try some of the earlier Civs at some point, although I'm kind of wary of that eating up a lot of my time.

9. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

You should be.

10. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

So, according to that definition, the poll options are:

1) I prefer to play older versions of the game
    2) Civ 5 and/or Civ Be is/are my first game(s) of this series

What about all the people who started out with the older versions but prefer to play Civ 5 or Civ BE?

11. krasny

krasny Prince

I stand discombobulated.

I would have thought the ratio of Grogs to Newbies would have been reversed.

Never the less this is very interesting data.

12. krasny

krasny Prince

I'm only interested in knowing the proportion of Civ Veterans to Civ Ingenues, who play V / BE. I'm not interested in those who play previous Civs.

13. 3 EMS

3 EMS King

I hate civ 5. I'm liking BE even with its flaws and I think patches/DLC will make the game better.
    So, its civ IV or BE for me. V sucks but BE has made enough changes to make that platform somewhat interesting.

14. Roxlimn

Roxlimn Deity

That makes sense. CivBE feels very Civ 4ish. Without strong National Wonders, the pace of expansion feels closer to Civ IV's.

15. 3 EMS

3 EMS King

I think that's it Roxlimn. I am a peaceful CIV 4 player. For the most part, I just want to build my civilization and ride my rocket ship to Alpha Centauri. I generally start wars to get the required amount of cities to win the science race. My style of play, I'm pretty sure, would be very boring to most civvers. Mainly because I've already won the game in order to achieve my victory goal.
    BE lets me expand and build my cities without feeling that I'm just fighting the game. It has some problems now but its letting play like I want to play.

16. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Warlord

I started playing Call to Power way back in the day, and for a long time afterwards thought it was actually Civ 3. Skipped out on Civ 4 mostly, but would sometimes play it with friends, and started playing the series a lot more with Civ 5.

17. Becephalus

Becephalus King

Started playing maybe a year before Civ 2 came out? I remember I was just tiring of 1 when 2 came out.

18. spider1

spider1 Prince

I live off the Civilization and ANNO series of games. Been playing both of them since their inception.

19. Supertoastfairy

Supertoastfairy Chieftain

I had heard a lot of Civ 4 but never actually started playing until a little over a year ago with Civ 5. Now I have every expansion pack and DLC for Civ 5 and I have Civ BE.

20. Asklepios

Asklepios Warlord

(joke)Civ 2? Ha? Noob!(/joke)

Started with Civ 1 myself, though I'm sure someone will beat this by saying they beta tested civ 1. Or perhaps actually founded RL civilisation.