Who said that "happy & friendly overall design" ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by poncratias, Oct 16, 2010.

1. el_hidalgo

el_hidalgo Prince

So "only" 20% of civics are negative? That seems like a fair amount. Actually 25% if you take out the initial civics, which are either neutral or arguably negative (they have a cost but provide no bonus), but definitely not positive.

2. el_hidalgo

el_hidalgo Prince

I wouldn't come down that hard on marketers, but they should not be dictating game design (they certainly should have input). But I don't think marketing is to blame for the CiV's shortcomings. It seems to me that the designers decided to take the game in a completely new direction, as their predecessors did with IV, but that, arguably, it didn't work out this time around. My guess is they bit off more than they could chew and had to cut back as their deadline approached and budget ran out.

3. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

That's some really nice artwork. Beaux art looks really good and would have been a nice choice for the UI as well. :) I don't mind the Art Deco to be honest.

Personally, I really like the artwork in Europa Universalis 3. Pretty classy. :)

4. Andoo

Andoo Warlord

You should remember that unlike civic, social policy itself is a counter-measure against huge empires. It's designed to reward small empire for choosing that way and penalize for choosing otherwise. Although admittedly SPs that benefit larger empire are so strong that the point becomes obsolete.. I think what they meant by happy & friendly design is that the game looks bright(just like civ4) and easy to grasp for new players which I think they accomplished. I don't think it meant removing drawbacks from decisions and make the game easy-mode although it turned out to be easier than civ4 due to AI issues and MMT CSs.

5. effexop

effexop Chieftain

Now, people in this thread seem to forget the absolutely MURDEROUS maintenance of buildings. This is the opposite design of the social policies, since you are penalizing people for building things, instead of just having an opportunity cost.

And, although it is true that the game is very comic like, I don't find razing most of the cities (which you will have to do if you conquer a lot) in a genocidical campaign that will render most of the world an unoccupied wasteland to be very happy and friendly.

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

For an experienced Civ player who likes to role play, yes. It would be disturbing to see this. I don't like the idea that being genocidal is the best strategy and I certainly find it distasteful in ciV.

I can count on one hand, the number of cities I razed in Civ games before ciV. I easily surpassed that in ciV. (not to mention the rather genocidal policies of City States I allied with. *Yikes!*)

However, for Firaxis and 2K Games, their target audience seems to be teenage boys who like playing FPS and I don't think they really bat an eye when they gun down hundreds of people in those games. Likely, they wouldn't care too much about razing a crap load of cities either.

7. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

dont forget the slave revolts :)

never thought I'd actually miss those lol.

oh yeah and police state had science penalties right.

point is that all policy's now are permanent, are all positive, and there is no tradeoff. no real flexibility in your decisions nor are there any major downsides to your decisions choosing a policy.

I find that in civ5 this goes for most stuff. go modders gogogo!

8. Doctor Phibes

Doctor Phibes Prince

Actually, yes, a strong point, el_hidalgo. But I realised after I posted that my understanding of Art Deco architecture might be a little parochial, being from a UK perspective - that of a New Yorker's might be quite different (and I did specifically think NYC, for which I have a great admiration). The best 'Art Deco' buildings in London are 'Streamline Moderne', late 1930s, and that is often identified as a separate movement that effectively merged Art Deco and Modernism. I find it hard to see such (admittedly beautiful) buildings as the Chrysler as pure Art Deco as a result. Beaux Arts (hardly represented here in London, except maybe for a certain building I know on Fleet Street) seems to fit well as a separate phase - and I agree that it is entirely optimistic, even triumphalist (hmm, though not in a bad way to my mind).

[And hey, you're not OT. The thread is about design issues...]

9. TheBlackAdderBG

TheBlackAdderBG Chieftain

When i watch this few months ago,i was really stun by Sid.What was he talking about?!?!The best games for me are these that the first thing i go check is,are F5/F9 quick save/load. :confused:

10. MadRat

MadRat Cheese Raider

Yeah, playing Civ 5, is like running a civ filled with bipolar manic depressives. /sigh The AIs on th other hand or just plain good old fashioned nuts.

Rat

11. TheBlackAdderBG

Do not forget that when you pick a new Civic the old bonuses are gone,this is huge negative for me and stop me to change them often.

12. sgrig

sgrig Comrade

Precisely - even if the civic doesn't have anything negative to it, when you change to it, you lose benefits of the previous civic (unless you were in the default one), and this is already a negative. The social policies however all stack up, and the more policies you have, the more benefits you get.

13. gilmore606

gilmore606 Warlord

Hereditary Rule comes to mind; I've gone into this civic, propped myself up with it building cheap archers for happyfaces for WAY too long, then found myself almost completely unable to get out without a lot of prep work. That's cool gameplay to me!

14. Achilleslastand

Achilleslastand Warlord

lol@oblivionized.......morrowind is 10x the game oblivion is.

15. poncratias

poncratias Prince

same here.... maybe he spend too much time of thinking in theories then in actually playing the game...

16. pagh80

pagh80 Warlord

Well on one part they havent included this "happy and friendly design"
    If someone beat you to a wonder you used to get a gold compensation. In CiV you get... nothing.

17. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Imho, the main thing that they forgot to bring into the "happy & friendly" paradigm, is the player.

*scnr* ;)

18. TheBlackAdderBG

No ,you get gold for wasted hammers on wonders,just the UI fails to show you how many gold you receive.

19. poncratias

poncratias Prince

*shameless bump*

20. poncratias

poncratias Prince

*double*