1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Shall I Be?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Ukraineboy, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Ukraineboy

Ukraineboy Warlord

I LOVE this world map I DLed... when you start, you start in the historically accurate era of its time (i.e. Spanish spawn in the Spanish Peninsula, Japan in the Japanese Island etc.)

Well, I have been playing as Zulu(Spawned in South Africa, I own all of South Africa and I am moving into the Jungles of Africa) and I noticed, there is only 3 Iron in ALL of Africa, Carthage owns 1, Egypt owns the other, and there is one more which I already built a city JUST for it (Its WAY far away from my country, its in North East part of Africa) so, I decided I don't eally want to play as Zulu any more....

In your opinion, who would be the most interesting to play as? Im not saying the HARDEST to play as, I mean like... with Japan it would be easy to start out, since you have the island to yourself, but then, its going to be hard to migrate your people especially with Korea and China occupying Asia. (Note: I'm playing a kind of "realistic" game here, whereas if I am Zulu, I wont be settling cities in Indonesia, or if I am Russia, I won't be settling in South America etc.)

Right now I am thinking of playing as England or Spain. Because, I would first settle my island/peninsula then, I could "realistically" settle almost.. everywhere. As England, well by god, I could settle almost anywhere I like, or as Spain I could settle quite a bit aswell.

What is your opinion?

Also, when helping me pick a Civ, also think of the UU... because, if its a VERY early UU, I.E. Zulu's Impi, then it is really quite useless because I don't go to war so early.

2. Ville

Ville Deity

Interesting civ to play on Earth Map?
    Vikings, superior UU, well-timed GA, capture/raze European coastal cities with your Berserks:nya:

3. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

Rome, realisticly you could own europe, northern Africa, Middle easy, and some of russia.

4. silver 2039

silver 2039 Deity

An intreasting civ would be one of the european ones as they don't have much room to expand and have to fight each other.

5. Ukraineboy

Ukraineboy Warlord

Yah, I am playing Spain right now, it should be cool!

6. globester

globester prof. donkey masseur

vikings, historically legit to pwn europa :p

7. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

Russia. You would have a fricken huge area to start out with, and you would historically be able to try and capture Europe, and Afghanistan, and you could have bases all over the would. Or maybe the British, and re-build the British Empire . . .

8. globester

globester prof. donkey masseur

or america and declare the world terrorists and start your domination war \o/

9. royb

royb Regent!

I'm also playing on a world map and you've just described my game perfectly. Kudos to kal-el for making the map standard size, it really makes a difference when loading.

10. Ukraineboy

Ukraineboy Warlord

But Thorgimms map is beter, because people spawn where they ar esupposed to.. I couldnt stand the fact that Japan started in North America...

Also, Russian isnt as easy as you'd think ;)

Russias biggest rival would be the Mongolians

11. HamaticBabylon

HamaticBabylon Deity

Isn’t that what the president of the untied states of America is doing right now. :lol:

12. Mano3

Mano3 King

I've done the best on world maps with either the Americans or Vikings (Regent level).

13. Bud2998

Bud2998 Bud the Ironfist

Depends on your playing style. Many civs support different playing styles, such as the Portuguese with exploring or the Vikings with naval warefare, or the Babylonians with culture.

If you want a real fun game, though, hit random for your civ against random civs with random locations. I feel that random on the world map is the only option that's actually fun as you'll know where everything is if you choose.

14. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Warlord

This scenario sounds fun, can someone please direct me to the file?

15. NankingDan

NankingDan Chieftain

Man, I'd hate to be in Europe or the Middle-East. Endless wars, strained resources, and not much room to expand. I don't know, I'd probably be the Iroquois for the spacious, fertile lands of North America.

16. Ukraineboy

Ukraineboy Warlord

NankingDan I see what ya mean, I tried Zulu once, and basically just that, I had all of Africa (except N Africa belonged to Egypt and Carthage) but problem was, there was only ONE source of Iron! and I want to play a "Realistic" Campaign... like, the Zulu never colonized Indonesia right? heh.

17. Chauliodus

Chauliodus Warlord

Can ya link this mpa plz?