Who should Democrats run in 2024?

Narz

keeping it real
Joe & Kamala are among the least popular pres & vice pres in history, Bernie is getting old, the rest of the 2020 crew wasn't particularly inspiring except a little bit Yang (altho he bungled NY and just doesn't have that big dick energy the democratic party so desperately needs) & the global warming integrity guy but I can't even remember his name (Inslie I think?) & people don't care about real stuff like climate change anyway, too abstract.

Any ideas?

It's early days of course but it makes sense to start scouting out asap as same-old, same-old barely squeaked by against Trump.

I vote for Oprah.

Manchin.

I'll show myself out.

Won't they just keep pushing candidates who are there to represent the needs of the corporations & others who back them financially, and not the voters, just like the Republicans do?

If I was American I would have stopped caring about the Democrats a long time ago. On top of all the problems they also seem incompetent.

If I google "presidential candidate democrats betting odds", I get this list:

Joe Biden
Kamala Harris
Pete Buttigieg
Hillary Clinton
Elizabeth Warren
AOC
Stacey Abrams
Bernie Sanders
Sherrod Brown

But I feel like this thread is more trolling, with a big heap of disappointment in the current Democratic party. So the difference between "who should they run" and "who will they run". And who should they run just differs wildly from your own interest and positions. For sure however there will be no long campaign since Biden will want to wait saying he will not run for as long as possible to not become a lame duck. Or - crazy I know - he could decide to want to run again...

Joe Biden
Kamala Harris
Pete Buttigieg
Hillary Clinton
Elizabeth Warren
AOC
Stacey Abrams
Bernie Sanders
Sherrod Brown

But I feel like this thread is more trolling, with a big heap of disappointment in the current Democratic party. So the difference between "who should they run" and "who will they run". And who should they run just differs wildly from your own interest and positions. For sure however there will be no long campaign since Biden will want to wait saying he will not run for as long as possible to not become a lame duck. Or - crazy I know - he could decide to want to run again...
I've crossed out the ones who are too old or can't win nationally, or both.
Joe Biden Too old
Kamala Harris Needs to up her game to be in the race at all
Pete ButtigiegToo gay for too many Americans
Hillary ClintonToo old and has too many haters
Elizabeth Warren Getting old, but is long shot maybe
AOC Too far to the left and has too many enemies; maybe in ten years
Stacey Abrams She would be better as the gov of GA; If you want a black woman Oprah is the best choice
Bernie Sanderstoo old
Sherrod Brown ?

The fact that Biden won the last ticket I feel is very telling on the overall state of the party. I think there's too much internal politicking and too many factions to present a nationally viable candidate. Sometimes it feels like some candidates base their platform on what's popular on Twitter even though Twitter isn't the real world

Honestly, I think they'll trot out Biden again despite his age and unpopularity. His age and Kamala's unpopularity will be bigger issues in 2024 though. I live in fear of Biden v. Trump round 2

Joe Biden
Kamala Harris
Pete Buttigieg
Hillary Clinton
Elizabeth Warren
AOC
Stacey Abrams
Bernie Sanders
Sherrod Brown

Where are you looking? Odds checker reports Jamaal Bowman as second favourite at 14/5, but only offered by one exchange, which you can lay either way AIUI. They have Hillary way down at 87/1. They also have John Hickenlooper in 5th place at 33/1. Dwayne The Rock Johnson only one place below AOC at 60/1.

You can get 196/1 on Bernie , that is better than Angelina Jolie, Mark Zuckerberg, Neil deGrasse Tyson and Al Franken.

Last edited:
Where are you looking?

I literally told you: I googled and took the first result, I didn't check anything further, cause no interest. So I'm thankful for you doing it better ;-)

Actually no, I first went to fivethirtyeight, but couldn't find anything after 2 sec. I really didn't do research, I just felt like this thread here needed some sort of list.

Incumbents get re-elected a solid majority of the time. So Biden.

The fact that Biden won the last ticket I feel is very telling on the overall state of the party. I think there's too much internal politicking and too many factions to present a nationally viable candidate. Sometimes it feels like some candidates base their platform on what's popular on Twitter even though Twitter isn't the real world

Honestly, I think they'll trot out Biden again despite his age and unpopularity. His age and Kamala's unpopularity will be bigger issues in 2024 though. I live in fear of Biden v. Trump round 2

If the election is Biden vs Trump round 2, Biden is virtually guaranteed to win.

What's the requirement for running for president? Say that Quentin Tarantino (first American born person who came to mind) wanted to run independently (or as the leader of some new party that he created) and be on the ballot for people to pick. What does he need to do to qualify and to get to that stage?

Don't know what you base this opinion on. Biden has approval ratings similar to Trump & without a rabid base. Harris is even less popular than Pence.
People will vote for the lesser of two evils. They they don’t approve of Biden doesent mean they would prefer trump.

What's the requirement for running for president? Say that Quentin Tarantino (first American born person who came to mind) wanted to run independently (or as the leader of some new party that he created) and be on the ballot for people to pick. What does he need to do to qualify and to get to that stage?
If we're being realistic, he would need to join one of the two major political parties and win their nomination. There is <1% chance the red and blue candidates let an independent join them on the debate stage.The duopoly benefits them too much. More likely to see an independent film on the debate stage than an independent presidential candidate
People will vote for the lesser of two evils. They they don’t approve of Biden doesent mean they would prefer trump.
I don't know if I'm convinced. I think the issues with inflation and supply chains are more recent than anything significant Trump has done. Those issues will be on a lot of voters' minds. Is that fair to Biden? Probably not but that's the way it goes

If we're being realistic, he would need to join one of the two major political parties and win their nomination. There is <1% chance the red and blue candidates let an independent join them on the debate stage.The duopoly benefits them too much. More likely to see an independent film on the debate stage than an independent presidential candidate

But let's say he just wants to end up on the ballot and doesn't care about the debates for whatever reason. Let's say he makes a movie mocking the debates and points out how they're not really debates anymore. Or whatever, that part doesn't matter so much. What do you have to do to actually end up on the ballot, as a Non-Republi/Democrat?

And is Trump really expected to be the Republican nominee? What happens to a presidential candidate who gets convinced of something and has to go to jail while running for president? Not that I expect the American legal system to lead us to that sort of scenario - but let's say it does. What happens?

Top Bottom