who should i attack, (saved game attached)

web25

Warlord
i need coal for rails and with all my land, lucky me ends up without any. The Brits and Byzantines both have it.

Attachments

• Smoke-Jaguar of the Maya, 1300 BC.SAV
    455.7 KB · Views: 54
Your options look like this:

1. Attack England to claim the Coal across the border at Norwich, which is close and defensible and that Coal will be connected right away.
  2. Attack Byzantium, with Coal six tiles away from the nearest border, needing roads to be built to connect.
England has 60 gpt they will spend, along with all their current cash, for Printing Press.
Bzyantium is not as smart as England. And not as rich.

Lots of Maces near Britian; lots of Knights near Byzantium.

I would attack England, claim Norwich, Oxford and York (second Coal and gets past the jungle belt), begin to rail, drop Navigation and learn Military Tradition for Cavalry and then plan to head for Replacable Part to get faster workers, Infantry and Artillery, all the while rolling over England and Byzantium before expanding overseas.

Yeah... what he said :ar15:

I downloaded this and played through 1500 AD, roughly following CBob's plan. Attacking at Norwich actually took a while due to a huge stack of English units there; I covered much more ground in the northeast.

Other than taking the coal at Norwich, though, I noticed:

You have very few cities. You could easily double your city count without getting into science farm territory.
You could use more Workers, too, especially with the railing about to begin.
You have a lot of regular army units. Training them in only cities with barracks helps because they're more survivable -- fewer losses means fewer new units you have to train to maintain your army strength.
You have almost no artillery. A stack of a dozen Cannon would drop the defenders in most of the English cities to 1hp each, making it easy for 2-4 units to take the city.

Hope this helps

I downloaded this and played through 1500 AD, roughly following CBob's plan. Attacking at Norwich actually took a while due to a huge stack of English units there; I covered much more ground in the northeast.

Other than taking the coal at Norwich, though, I noticed:

You have very few cities. You could easily double your city count without getting into science farm territory.
You could use more Workers, too, especially with the railing about to begin.
You have a lot of regular army units. Training them in only cities with barracks helps because they're more survivable -- fewer losses means fewer new units you have to train to maintain your army strength.
You have almost no artillery. A stack of a dozen Cannon would drop the defenders in most of the English cities to 1hp each, making it easy for 2-4 units to take the city.

Hope this helps

so are you saying i should build more cities in my territory or get more by war?

yup i need more workers

i just started to build more artillery, i capture many cannons when i attacked england. i have around 8 now.

I meant, build more cities in your territory. I continued playing from your save, and I've been building almost nothing but workers and settlers to build rails and fill in gaps between cities.

I played ten turns in a rather loosey-goosey fashion. It took a while to capture Norwich but it did fall.

Turn Log
Spoiler :

web25-2
Turnset CB01 1485 AD

Republic at Regent
50% Tax
50% Science
00% Luxury

5925 gold, +206 gpt

Naviagtion in 1 turns.

Seven of eight luxuries connected.

028 Worker
001 Spear
005 Sword
001 Pike
012 Longbow
002 Musket
062 Knight
073 Mace
007 Cursader

Current Units: 191
Allowed Units: 110
Support Costs: 162 gpt

Navigation -> Electricity; raise science and get in it 7 turns and 27 gpt. This will start us on the way to Replaceable Parts.

1 1485 AD

Start grouping workers.

Palanque: Newtons -> University, lose 70 shields.
Copan: Smiths -> Newtons in 1.
Chichen Itza: Shakespeare's Theater -> Smiths in 12.

Wake units, disband some rMaces towards Knights and Muskets.
[IBT]

Incas demand Music Theory. We ignore.

Newton's University in Copan.

Palace Expansion; build a connecter hall on Stage Right.

2 1490 AD

We give England the boot and they leave. Now their units are in grassland, not jungle, which is good for us.

We declare War.

We clear out a Longbow stack on top of the coal.
[IBT]

3 1495 AD

Richmond is captured and razed. It was a jungle city. 3 slaves, 1 trebuchet.
Attack Norwich; fail.
[IBT]

4 1500 AD

Norwich is captured; Coal!. 2 slaves, 1 trebuchet.
We begin railing.
Dover, another jungle city, is captured and razed. 3 slaves, 1 trebuchet.
[IBT]

5 1505 AD

Oxford is assimulated. 2 slaves.
[IBT]

6 1510 AD

[IBT]
Electrcity -> Replaceable Parts in 7 at 60%.

7 1515 AD

York is ours. 1 slave.

Sell Democrarcy to Byzantines for 14 gpt and 40 of 40 gold.
[IBT]

8 1520 AD

Oops! Realize now that we lack Cavalry! Replaceable Parts in 5 and then Military Tradition.
Then kill Theodora's gang a few turns later.

cycle through the cities, short rushing aqueducts and changing some builds from settlers to workers. Rushed a few workers here and there.
[IBT]

9 1525 AD

Nottingham goes blue. 2 Slaves.
Birmingham anohter jungle wonder city, is razed. 4 slaves.

Rush more workers and slaves.
[IBT]

10 1530 AD

Railing and moving.
Ready to attack London next turn.

002 Settler
039 Worker
001 Spear
003 Sword
001 Pike
010 Longbow
014 Musket
079 Knight
056 Mace
006 Cursader

Current Units: 211
Allowed Units: 122
Support Costs: 178 gpt

Attachments

• web25_2_1530_AD_End.SAV
    458.9 KB · Views: 34
Interesting switching wonders bob

I ended up taking coal from england. Forced them out, attacked with cavalry.

Why did u raze the jungle cities?

Why did u raze the jungle cities?
Several reasons.

One was to have more slaves for railing.

Second was that jungle cities serve almost no purpose. To make them productive takes a lot of worker turns clearing out the jungle. And unless there are a lot of workers to start with, this slows down more important improvements elsewhere.

Now, once the empire is railed then it might make sense to start removing jungle tiles in a massive fashion. But for the near future that will not happen.

Third, I didn't want to be bothered by defending these minor citiies in hard to reach locations. And babysit their puny resisters. Just easier to raze them and forget about them.

On the wonders, I switched those around so as not to build Shakespeare's Theater. Once a city gets over size 12 it needs a lot of attention to keep their people happy. At size 12 a city is much easier to manage. Get it set up to stay happy and productive and leave it alone.

This also makes it easier to cycle through the cities and keep an eye on the science farms, which do require a high degree of handling until they reach size 6 or 12, where they, too, can be put on auto-pilot. The big, productive cities can be ignored during this time, since they don't need any attention.

And somehow I forget to learn Military Tradition early. That did not really affect the death of England, since you had alread built so many Knights and Maces. And the faster workers are so nice to use! I didn't follow my own advice, but I think that was okay. Now, if you had fewer Knights, the invasion on England could have been very bad and the decision/oversight regarding Cavalry would have been obvious. But as it happened it went well.

Were u building more cities like elephant was?
I started off by changing many builds out west near Byzantium to settlers. Then I saw that workers were needed for railing, so many of the settlers were switched to workers (when the switching made sense; that is, the shields committed to the settler build were less than 10). I have rushed many workers, paying 80 gold for some and 36 gold for others. Many rMaces were disbanded in captured English cities that had resisters to build a worker/slave in one turn. Maces, when disbanded, yield 10 shields. If a city has resisters, nothing can be rushed, so disbanding those Maces bypassed that problem, created a worker/slave, reduced the city population by one, which in turn reduced the number of units required to prevent a culture flip, and reduced overall military upkeep. This was an unexpected bonus to having some rMaces. I don't think I could have disbanded vMaces so easily :D.

So far I have built only two cities and that was in the second turnset, which I haven't completed yet. There are now 3 other settlers in the unit mix and I haven't had time to focus on them.

This is my second turnset.

One thing I do in my games, and I did here, was set a contiental rally point near the capital. When new units are made and their turn becomes 'active' they will all move to that tile at one tile. That saves me from moving them there myself.

One gotcha on this: if a city is building improvements and then switches to units or if a new city is built and builds units, those new units will ignore the contiental rally point. To fix that, just clear the current rally point and set a new one, even to the same tile.

Having all the new units in one location lets me organize my turn better. I tend to park units near the capital so that I know how many units I have to use that turn. Nothing upsets me more than running out of attackers and having to scramble to find one more unit to get the job done. So I just gather everyone around the capital (easy to find with the 'H' key) and use them as I need them. Which I have done here. There is also a stack of Elites, ready to be promoted to Elite* status, when the time comes.

Turnlog
Spoiler :

Turnset CB02 1530 AD

Republic at Regent
20% Tax
70% Science
10% Luxury

5479 gold, -71 gpt

Replaceable Parts in 3.

Military
002 Settler
039 Worker
001 Spear
003 Sword
001 Pike
010 Longbow
014 Musket
079 Knight
056 Mace
006 Cursader

Current Units: 211
Allowed Units: 122
Support Costs: 178 gpt

0 1530 AD

[IBT]

1 1535 AD

London is now Maya.
The Pyramids are now Mayan, too.
We lose 5 Knights taking this city.
[IBT]
Smith's Trading Company is built in Chichen Itza.
We go from -30 gpt to +4 gpt.
New units drop it back to -32 gpt.

2 1540 AD

Railing and moving.
Ready to attack Hastings.

Drop science to 40%; Replaceable Parts in 1, +292 gpt.
[IBT]
We lost our supply of Furs.

England wants to talk. We want England to die.

Replaceable Parts -> Military Tradition in 5 turns at 40%.

Musket builds become Infantry builds.

3 1545 AD

Lack of Furs causes several cities to go into Civil Unrest. Keep the happy slider at 10% and fix those cities.

Four Rubber are already connected.

Hastings is captured and razed. 2 slaves.
Canterbury another jungle-wonder city, is razed. 4 slaves.

Bump science up to 50%, Military Tradition in 4, +120 gpt.
[IBT]

4 1550 AD

English Pig Dog is built by us, between London and Nottingham.
English Hillside is also built, south of Nottingham.

We get our first use of Artillery shelling Conventry.
And this leands to *KnightOfCoventry 1550 AD* and Blue-Quetzal-Macaw.
Old Blue becomes First Army 1550 AD.

Conventry becomes Mayan.
Brighton, an isolated coastal city, is torched.
[IBT]

5 1555 AD

Warwick has a new boss.
Reading is razed.
[IBT]

6 1560 AD

The initial assualt on Liverpool, the current capital of England, fails.
Newcastle, another small, pitiful coastal English eyesore, is Knight-Knuked and destroyed.

Start using Mayan workers to connect cities. Slaves improve around cities.

Set Continental Rally point 2SW of Chichen Itza.

Drop science to 10%, Military Tradition in 1, +544 gpt.
[IBT]
We lost our supply of Dyes. That could be bad.
We lost our supply of Incense. This is gonna hurt.

Military Tradition -> Industrialization in 21 turns at 10%.

7 1565 AD

About half of the Mayan empire shuts down because there is no more bath room deodorizers and tie-dye tee shirts. What a bunch of wimps.

We sell Chemsitry to France for Furs.
Raise the happy slider to 30%.
Science slider goes to 40%, Industrialization in 8 turns, +32 gpt.

Liverpool is the ex-capital of England.
Leeds is the last capital of England. We gain 3 slaves and 16 gold.

We don't get the England is dead pop-up, so England still lives somewhere.

All cities are railed.
[IBT]
Byzantines build some jungle-wonder cities which snared our troops inside their borders. Preboot because of that.

8 1570 AD

Upgrade 66 Knights to Cavalry for 990 of 5730 gold.

Zulu landed 2 Horse near Evora. Are they looking for war? They have the only known source of Silks.
[IBT]
Zulus want war. They declare. And capture Evora getting 55 gold in the deal.

9 1575 AD

Evora is quickly liberated.

Well, we have 8 more turns of peace with Bzyantium. They have no resources we need. They have Gems, Wines, Saltpeter, Iron and Coal. So do we.

Looks like I shouldn't have razed Brighton after all. It gave us easy 1 coastal tile access to Zululand. We will need to replace it.
[IBT]

10 1580 AD

Build a road towards the ruins of Brighton. Need to road a desert tile next and then rail the rest of the way to the ruins.

Rush English slaves.

4489 gold, +12 gpt

Industrialization in 5.

Military
004 Settler
062 Worker
001 Spear
003 Sword
001 Pike
009 Longbow
018 Musket
011 Knight
070 Cavalry
008 Infantry
004 Artillery (English)
003 Frigate
001 Army (unfilled)
041 Mace
006 Cursader

Current Units: 238
Allowed Units: 133
Support Costs: 210 gpt

And the save is attached.

EDIT
8,000th post

Attachments

• web25_2_1580_AD_End02.SAV
    459.2 KB · Views: 50
Nice bob, do u automate or stack slaves?
Stack slaves: Yes, oh YES! Generally. Ususally. It depends.

I seperate slaves from workers and rarely combine the two. It makes the mental math easier. Three workers = 6 slaves, that is easy to see. But does 4 slaves and 1 worker equal three workers? How about 2 slaves and 2 workers? And what does a stack of slave, worker, slave, slave, worker, slave, slave, slave equal? Those are not so easy to see. So I keep them seperate so I don't get confused.

Early in the game there just aren't enough workers to combine into stacks. And since it takes 3WT to road a flatland tile, unless the need is great, moving 2 workers into a tile on the same turn to build a road is not the best way to do that.

Once I get around 5 or 6 workers I will begin to pay more attention to stacking them. Now that rails are available, I will stack as much as possible. I will create stacks for railing/mining mountains, stacks for mining/railing hills and of course stacks for railing the flatlands. Around the captital are many mountains; many of those mountains were railed in one turn. It got the job done and it allowed the rail benefits to be used that turn.

For instance, if there were six mined and roaded mountain tiles around a Mayan city, is it better to have one worker in each tile railing or put all six into one tile to rail it in one turn? I opt to have all six in one tile and then move them around to all six tiles. On turn 6 all tiles will be railed, regardless of worker allocation. But by railing one tile per turn, we gain an extra shield each turn, for a total of either 15 (5+4+3+2+1) or 21 (6+5+4+3+2+1) extra shields over the six turns (my math and mind are fuzzy at the moment). That is biggest reason to stack: to get that extra, marginal, shield.

Automate workers: :eek: :thumbsdown: :trouble:

To see how poorly the AI uses slaves/workers, just name them and then follow three or four them from turn to turn and try to make sense of what the AI is doing. Watch Worker Adam start on the east side of your empire near City X, walk ten turns on roads to City Y on the west side of your empire, road a tile and then spend another ten turns walking back to City X to irrigate the tile it started from.

Rule of thumb for workers: always road the tile you are in. Early on, in Despotism, mine green and irrigate brown. If you can do that (road -> improve or improve -> road) you will be doing a better job of worker managment than the AI. It is just that simple. Tedious, but simple.

"In what order should I attack them?"
And there are so many options:

• Alphabetical
  • Attractiveness (or lack thereof)
  • Bad Attitude
  • Clashing border colors
  • Culutral snobbery
  • Trespassing units

Decisions, decisions :yumyum:

Top Bottom