1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Should name the Capital?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Demo Game III: Polls' started by Sir John, May 1, 2003.

?

Who Should name the Capital?

Poll closed May 3, 2003.
  1. The President

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. The Players

13 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Abstain

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Sir John

Sir John The evil one...

Here you can vote on who is going to name the capitol.. Usually its the firs president, but now we can change this.

Here is the thread were this was debated: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51880

This Poll will only be open in 48 hours due to a obvius lack of time to decide this...

2. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

It has always been the president's choice and it shall remain that way. I think that it is a good thing that our first president name the capitol as he's supposed to be the founder of this game. And it's a little gift for the time he spends for us.

3. Sir John

Sir John The evil one...

Well, I think that the people should choose since its a very important thing. All the Presidents should have somewhere named after them. But the Capitol should be chosen by the people.

4. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

I voted to give the right to the citizenry, since the first city represents our common point of origin and is the home of every single citizen at the beginning of the game. Indeed in a very real sense it IS the nation for many hundreds of game years, and so it seems only right that its naming should be a more communal effort than that of its subsequent offshoots.

I also think that the presidency is its own reward to a large extent, and find the idea of rewarding someone just for being given the opportunity to do that which they wished to do anyway to be rather bizarre.

5. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

I think it's a little late for this debate. Although some good points were brought up by Eklektikos and SirJohn, if this change were to be put into action, it should have been done before any candidate accepted their nomination.

In DG2, CT asked for suggestions for the new Capital, even though she didn't have to do this. For that game we also knew we were going to be the Germans, so we knew which direction to lean in. Knowing which tribe you are helps in determining a proper name, and we don't have that luxury this game. As it turned out CT went with her own suggestion, which I liked very much (Bavaria). It was perfect.

Because we would have to gather names, discuss them, poll them, blah, blah, blah....it would completely ruin the start of the game, in my opinion. If we want to start DG4 this way (having the citizenry chose a name for the Capital), let's decide that before the day prior to the start of the game. Or, like I said, before any of the candiates accept their nomination.

I voted for the President.

6. Sir John

Sir John The evil one...

Well, Shaitan agreed to doing it this way as long as we can decide before turn chat 1. Wich in a few days...

7. donsig

donsig Low level intermediary

I voted to let the players name the capital. If time is a problem we could compromise:

Open a thread where everyone can make suggestions and/or declare support for someone else's suggestion. Then we can let the President choose a name from that list. Assuming the President doesn't use his own suggestion we could still let the President be first in the naming queue to name city number 2.

We should also think about different ways to name things. We could set up a naming queue and then give the citizen at the top of the queue the choice to name a city or a geographical feature. We should also let those in the queue delay their naming if they so choose by 'passing'. Passing should not drop a player in the queue. A change of term should also not drop a player's position in the naming queue.

8. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

I'd prefer to keep it with the first President. That's not because I happen to be said Pres, it's because I feel it's a traditional and welcome part of the office. It's the one little thing that separates the very first president from all the presidents that follow. It's the frosting on the cake, the froth on the cappuccino, the wasabi on the sushi.

Save the wasabi! Vote President!

9. Bacon King

Bacon King Emperor

Hmm, looks like a 50-50 tie between players and president.

btw, i voted players.

10. Immortal

Immortal Deity

I abstained, since I really dont care.

11. Panzer

Panzer Mobile Front

I agree with you there, I would also like to have a say in the name of the Capital. voted for players.

12. eyrei

eyrei Deity Retired Moderator

Most citizens will have a chance to name a city at some point during the game. The naming of the first city should be a right given to the first president.

13. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

Well, without a Capital city we'd have no civilization and thus no president of it who could name the Capital. I'm voting for the players. Historically an area was long known by a name and a city which was founded there henceforth was referred to by the name of the region. When an idea of a nation occurred the concept of a Capital was being invented. It's just not logic or histoically correct to have the President name the Capital.

14. alamo

alamo bang!

Power to the people!

Except of course when the president flys out to an aircraft carrier.
    :rolleyes:

15. Stuck_as_a_Mac

Stuck_as_a_Mac Aptenodytes forsteri

To all new players:
    You get a chance to name a city. The first is the preisdents. The comes VP, Dom, Trade,Mil,FA,Science, Governor, Deputies, Citizens

16. Plexus

Plexus Architeuthidae puericomedentis

Thou forgotest culture among that list of esteemed positions, SAaM... :)

17. Shaitan

Shaitan der Besucher

The capital was named Noshuret by the President. This poll was close with a slight margin for citizen naming but there was no name provided by the citizenry. We can always rename the capital if a concensus determines that we should do so. If that is desired I would recommend finding a name and then polling between that and Noshuret.