1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who to Pre-Purchase through?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by MechMedic130, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MechMedic130

MechMedic130 Warlord

I'm looking at placing my Pre-Order, I'm just wondering who the best to get it through is. Like Amazon gives you a $5 credit for their video game store. Is there a benefit for purchasing through Steam instead? Any other companies have any good deals?

2. rastak

rastak Emperor

I like steam because I can play immediately upon release. $5 doesn't mean much to me.

3. Makavcio

Makavcio Prince

If you live outside US, try major local distributors that are not named on the official 2K site. They usually have better deals. I got my digital copy for ~30USD, though I placed my order in March or early April? It was a few days before the game officially hit preorders.

Other distributors usually deliver keys before release so they are as good as Steam itself.

4. MechMedic130

MechMedic130 Warlord

Ah yeah, I'm US. I was thinking of buying it on Amazon then using the $5 credit towards grabbing Gauntlet also.

5. s0nny80y

s0nny80y King

6. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

That code won't be active anymore after 2 months! :lol:

7. rastak

rastak Emperor

I also want to preload so I'm not watching it download.....maybe you can do that too.....dunno, I always buy off steam.

8. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

Since it's a steam game I would probably go with steam. I've got it preloaded already and ready to rock 'n roll.

9. anandus

anandus Errorist

I often look at Isthereadeal if I want to buy a new game, you can find the cheapest prices of legit shops.
    (I call them "legit shops" as many people nowadays buy through so-called key stores, which I believe are technically legal, but I don't find them legit. Make sure your shop is legit!).

10. WimpyTheWarrior

WimpyTheWarrior Warlord

I use GamersGate and Steam, checking which one has the best price for a game that I want. GamersGate issues Steam keys; you just cut and paste the key from GamersGate (browser) window into the Steam client, and from there the entire experience is via Steam.

GG just issued the pre-order keys for Beyond Earth and the pre-load finished for me.

11. forty2j

forty2j King

Going through Steam directly is simply more seamless. You buy it, you own it. Anywhere else it's you buy it, they email you a key, you open Steam and copy/paste that key, then you own it.

Personally I tend to buy through another retailer because of price or I specifically want to support them. E.g. the Mac version wasn't available yet, and GMG had the best price at the time I wanted to prepurchase, so I went through them. But I'll be playing on Mac 90% of the time when that version is released, so I'll buy most of the DLC through GameAgent to ensure Aspyr is getting some money out of the deal.

12. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

some of the key resellers are going legit now.

like my shop -- gameshop.maddjinn.ca ;)

13. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

^Shameless plug.

14. lemony

lemony Chieftain

I pre-ordered through Amazon personally. Be advised that they don't charge until the game is released.

15. lemony

lemony Chieftain

Amazon is releasing their game codes. I received mine today and have pre-loaded.

16. LeppidKing

LeppidKing Chieftain

I went through a walk-in retailer because I wanted a physical copy on release day. :king:

17. Aedn

Aedn Chieftain

Green man gaming, typically you can get 20-25% off most new release titles, as they almost always have vouchers running for games. About 90% of the time you can pre-load well in time for release. Once ordered, go to library, copy the key paste it on steam to activate.

18. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

The last time I went to a physical store to buy a game on release day they told me to come back tomorrow afternoon because it wasn't going to arrive at their store until 11 AM then.
    (They said that while they normally got all new DVD shipments the night before release day that they always got new games the day after.)

19. LeppidKing

LeppidKing Chieftain

I won't deny that it happens. Thankfully, I got a call today confirming my game will be ready for me to pick up when they open on Friday. :king:

20. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Wow, so many guest accounts with n/a posts today :p

Welcome to CivFanatics!