1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who was the best GoT antagonist?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kyriakos, May 14, 2019.

Tags:
?

Who was the best GoT antagonist?

1. Tywin Lannister

58.3%
  2. Cercei Lannister

20.8%
  3. The Mountain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ramsay Bolton

8.3%
  5. The Night King

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Euron Greyjoy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Other/Hodor

12.5%
  1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Same. I was totally Team Cersei, when it was her versus the High Sparrow/Faith Militant. The way she took them all out with that epic wildfire bomb was just... awesome.
    My name is Sommerswerd and I approve this message :thumbsup:

Also *Tyrion*

Hygro likes this.
  2. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Closed caption is for suckas
    This post brought to you by a hearing impaired guy

3. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

I rooted for Cercie most when she was torturing the Nun. SHAME SHAME SHAME.
    It was so deliciously evil revenge, you almost had to laugh. (easier to do when you know it's just a show)

Sommerswerd likes this.
  4. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

When she popped up at the end of season 6 in all black all badass I was like yaaaaaa. Then they made that everyone's fashion in season 7 and it wasn't that cool anymore.

5. Berzerker

Berzerker Warlord

its Cersei

6. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Chieftain

That's my preference for the throne. It's not gonna happen IMHO.

7. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

So you consider disingenuous that I mock the "not likeable = villain" argument, and then you point at post 27, which IS about "the author made him not likeable so he's villain" ? Hu, right. Why was I disingenuous then ?
    You mean you're convinced by arguments based on how he's "willing to use blood magic" and "align with the Rh'llor religion" when he's actually rather unwilling to use blood magic unless backed in a corner and AFAIR refuses to actually let R'hllor priests to burn people (BTW, Beric and Thoros are not only "aligned" but actually real follower of R'hllor, so I guess it makes them villains too) ?
    People not liking Stannis, as I already pointed, is the point of the character. What I find annoying is how "not liking" translates into "he's a villain".
    There is two points about this :
    - First, this is something that was added in the serie and at that time simply felt seriously out of character for him. So I wonder just how much it's a huge shortcut by the showrunners. It's the same thing than with Dany going berserk : it might have been the end point of the character, but it's reached in a pretty contrived fashion that doesn't ring true (though at least Stannis WAS in a desperate situation so it makes it much more believable).
    - Second, that happens at the very end of his character story, so I was asking : "okay, once he's burned his daughter, he's become a villain. But up to then, what made him so ?". Because I get the impression you would flag him as a villain even without that.
    No, you don't "get it" or you wouldn't use this childish "you just like him waah waaah". I also like Tywin (and in fact my first post in this thread makes it clear he's the character I enjoyed the most in the show) and I have no problem saying he's more on the villain side. I just find the reasons people have to flag Stannis as a villain pretty flimsy.
    Melisandre herself is a very ambiguous character, that I would be hesitant to call actually a villain, and she's at the root of most of the questionnable things that Stannis does.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  8. Leifmk

Leifmk Chieftain

Never trust anyone who worships a deity with an apostrophe in its name.

(Okay, on the show they only name-drop R'hllor once or twice, it's mostly "The Lord of Light", but still. It's never a good sign.)

9. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

I guess I agree with the majority in picking Tywin. Awesome character, with a great ending to it. Charles Dance nailed the character so hard.

10. Sommerswerd

You're still being disingenuous. Post #27 contains multiple reasons to dislike Stannis, then concludes with saying he's unlikable, but you'e again acting as if that's all the post said because it fits your strawman narrative that the only criticism of Stannis is that he's "unlikable".
    I didn't read the books and I don't plan to. So what feels contrived to you based on your book-based preconceptions isn't relevant to me. Also, by even bringing that up, you're essentially conceding my point. He's a villain in the show, but you think it conflicts with how hes's portrayed in the book. Fine. I'll take your word for it, but this isn't the book we're discussing, its the show. AFAIC he's still a villain in the show.

"It happens at the end point" is just more handwaiving by you and I'm having none of it. And as I and others have pointed out, and you keep disingenuously ignoring... he did plenty of other things before that.

Mise and rah like this.
  11. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I also didn't read the books. None of them. I know it's not in the books precisely because when he did it, I was like "WTF, it really doesn't feel like it's in-character", so I went to check how it happened in the books (and, well, it didn't).
    Sorry to destroy the entire basis of your whole argument against me I guess.
    I know reading is hard, so I'm going to bold it for you :

so I was asking : "okay, once he's burned his daughter, he's become a villain. But up to then, what made him so ?". Because I get the impression you would flag him as a villain even without that.

If you answer "he wasn't a villain until this moment", fine I guess, I understand your point. If your answer is "he was already a villain", then we're back to my initial question that you've avoided twice in a row now by deliberately ignoring half of the quotes you're answering. I guess it speaks by itself.

Though for someone who was all "yeah, we understand you like Stannis, geeeh man it's just a show", you seem pretty worked up about it.

12. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I generally liked Stannis. I recall they sort of ruined him (and literally had him killed) in the space of 1,5 episodes. That was sloppy, once again :)
    I also recall that in the books he hasn't yet died, and he asked Davos to do everything he can to place his daughter on the throne if he dies at Winterfell. So the girl isn't with Stannis and his troops in the first place - therefore cannot be burned anyway.

13. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

I believe in the books, Stannis will win the battle of Winterfell and replace Ramsay and take his family there from the Chaos at the Wall. But then the Wall will fall and the Undead will besiege them there and that is when he sacrifices his daughter. (Jon is meanwhile wherever). Such an extreme situation would make more sense to me than what happened in the show and again, makes it very tricky to determine "villain" status.

14. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Blackpilled Idealist

I really hope book Stannis is alive and meets Daenerys at some point.

Imaus likes this.
  15. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

Littlefinger was really good at "the game" as Varys and him called it. He only saved Jon because it was in his best interest - he didn't anticipated that they would call Jon the King - or maybe he did :think: One thing is for sure he was a villain to start a feud between Starks and Lannisters and that alone qualifies him to be on the list imho. After all he got the whole thing going.

16. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

Robb Stark was the best antagonist. A danger to himself and the viewer. Earliest worst character.

Otherwise, Joffrey. Legit excellent. I did rewatch seasons 1-4 recently and Joffrey is on point at all points.
    I won't bother with the other stuff because the show doesn't manage the scope, the number of characters, from season 5 and on.

Hygro likes this.
  17. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

I hope Stannis lives, Jon stays dead, Dany remakes Valyria and ****s off from Westeros. Just go a whole 180 from the show.

18. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

And of course Young Griff should win the Iron Throne.

mitsho and Imaus like this.
  19. Sommerswerd

OK... but then
    Wait.. what?:confused: So to recap. I say that your positions/arguments here are based on what's in the book... which offends you for some reason... so to "destroy my whole argument":lol:... you first deny reading the books... but then immediately say that you went and checked the books... thereby confirming that your argument here is indeed based on the book :crazyeye: So... OK dude whatevs. :smug:
    LOLs... OK I'll answer your question... again. Like I've already said three or four times. I considered Stannis a villain before he burned his daughter to death. Its funny that you accuse me of ignoring/not answering your question but then you say in bold no less that "I get the impression you would flag him as a villain even without that." Oh really? Now what in the world gave you that impression? My statements in this thread right? So that means I already answered your question, because that's the only way you could have "gotten the impression". LMAO.

Anyway... like I already said. I didn't list all of Stannis' evil deeds, statements etc., that made me think of him as a villain ... because others here had already done so. I even gave you the post numbers, so I have no idea why you're asking me to list them again. Just go back and read the posts. What's more... not only have my reasons already been stated by others... you've already responded to them. So its even more pointless to repeat them so you can just repeat the same arguments you've already made. Once again... we don't agree about Stannis ... its fine man. Its really not that serious.

Mise likes this.
  20. Imaus

Imaus Chieftain

His blood magic thing is a huge red-flag; ontop of this Lord of Light business. It might prove useful against the Others, if ever, but it doesn't bode well for a ruler to have those tools at his whim and disposal. He killed his brother with a demon since he couldn't beat him on the field or in the hall. He uses another shadow assassin to kill a mere Castellan, though yes, Storm's End is probably one of the best castles in Westeros.... It is seemingly over the severity of the issues at hand, and more importantly, the toll it takes to Stannis' own health and age, that might stall his hand thereof from just spamming the damn things.

He would be well to just finish off his 'duty', 'vengeance' and 'revenge'. I can see him clearing King's Landing, and then marching north, but I don't see him taking the full realm.