• James Garfield

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What would you have proposed to do about the Soviets? Are you saying that we should have let them continue with their totalitarianistic expansion across the globe? Would you have tried to live in peace with something sworn to destroy your way of life? Would you have let them reduce you to rubble?

Pretty Much. :D :D :goodjob: :goodjob:

:sarcasm: Oh no! They're going to destroy our way of life with their matrioshka dolls and tasty pastries! What will I do?!!! :eek:

Turn the other cheek. If a man steals your tunic, give him your coat as well.

I am never for war! I was simply outlining that there were both good and bad consequences from the Cold War and from its end. Some of its consequences were not being expressed. That is all.

Also, Reagan may have been a good speaker, but that was because he has speechwriters and HE WAS AN ACTOR!!! That doesn't mean he was eloquent.

It is very difficult to tell what you really believe here, and I think it's probably just that since you don't like the current Administration, it is easiest for you to pin it on Reagan. Please correct me if I am mistaken in this.

You curse him for fighting the Cold War when he did it through negotiation with the Soviets instead of by large scale wars in other places. You curse him for playing the nuclear card at these negotiations when every other American president did the same... but Reagan focused on increasing defense rather than increasing offense. You curse him for the fact that the Soviet Union couldn't keep itself together. You complain that he couldn't speak well, and then you complain that of course he could speak well, it's because he was an actor! There are plenty of reasons to dislike the guy and his administration; you touched on one with Iran-Contra. But I think anything else you've brought up is a poor excuse to justify hating the man.

Of course, it's more difficult to know where you stand when you curse Nixon for the Vietnam conflict without laying the blame at Johnson's feet where it belongs. I assume your parents are Democrats?

Pretty Much. :D :D :goodjob: :goodjob:

:sarcasm: Oh no! They're going to destroy our way of life with their matrioshka dolls and tasty pastries! What will I do?!!! :eek:

Turn the other cheek. If a man steals your tunic, give him your coat as well.

Imagine this. The US and the rest of the free world do nothing to halt Soviet expansion after the end of WWII. The Communists take over the world. The basic freedoms of mankind become nonexistent under a totalitarian government. Corruption and crime become the only way to make a living. Millions of people die from starvation, millions of people are imprisoned/never seen again, millions of people live with out the basic necessities of life. Progress and production come to a standstill. The government increases its control over the people and becomes increasingly paranoid until it murders people for no reason.

Would this be your ideal world? Maybe you would get sent to the Gulags or die of starvation. Do you see anything wrong with this scenario?

How about if you stand from an outsiders perspective and look in. Would you ignore the plight of the people? Would you join in support of those oppressing them? I really want everybody to think this through because it is a big deal. I would fight to the death to protect my freedom. GIVE ME LIBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Imagine this. The US and the rest of the free world do nothing to halt Soviet expansion after the end of WWII. The Communists take over the world. The basic freedoms of mankind become nonexistent under a totalitarian government. Corruption and crime become the only way to make a living. Millions of people die from starvation, millions of people are imprisoned/never seen again, millions of people live with out the basic necessities of life. Progress and production come to a standstill. The government increases its control over the people and becomes increasingly paranoid until it murders people for no reason.

Would this be your ideal world? Maybe you would get sent to the Gulags or die of starvation. Do you see anything wrong with this scenario?

How about if you stand from an outsiders perspective and look in. Would you ignore the plight of the people? Would you join in support of those oppressing them? I really want everybody to think this through because it is a big deal. I would fight to the death to protect my freedom. GIVE ME LIBERTY, OR GIVE ME DEATH

Oh come on, half the stuff you mentioned still exists, it's just not here, and the Soviets weren't going to conquer the world anymore than any other nation has, sure they talked a big game, but they didn't fall just because of us. While I'm sure life in the USSR wasn't grand, I know for sure, from first hand accounts, it wasn't some kind of hell on Earth. People lived for 60+ under it, and for the most part they got by, and while it wasn't paradise (something I have yet to find) it wasn't as bad as things can get.
Excuse me, but the old rhetoric of Commies out to enslave us all is just getting old. While I'm not defending them, I don't think demonizing them is any better.

Oh come on, half the stuff you mentioned still exists, it's just not here, and the Soviets weren't going to conquer the world anymore than any other nation has, sure they talked a big game, but they didn't fall just because of us. While I'm sure life in the USSR wasn't grand, I know for sure, from first hand accounts, it wasn't some kind of hell on Earth. People lived for 60+ under it, and for the most part they got by, and while it wasn't paradise (something I have yet to find) it wasn't as bad as things can get.
Excuse me, but the old rhetoric of Commies out to enslave us all is just getting old. While I'm not defending them, I don't think demonizing them is any better.

And without totalitarians, they will eventually die out.
I never said the Soviets were going to conquer the world, people are smarter than that. It was a hypothetical situation.
I believe anywhere where I am not free is hell on earth, life span has nothing to do with it, and I'm sure things could have been worse.
And I'm not trying to simply demonize Communism, I'm pointing out everything that is wrong about it and trying to attack it on a logical basis, nothing in it makes any sense whatsoever.

My personal favorites:
Goerge Washington: Made the union. Kept it going and set many good precedents.
Franklin Roosevelt:Elevated us to the number one superpower, ended great depression, and had a economic plan I can live with.
Andrew Jackson: Prevented south Carolina from leaving the union. Saved the union without destroying it first.
Personal not favorites:
Reagan: Started that whole massive debt thing. Reaganomics were horible corrupt.
Bush: Corrupt liar. Destroyed economy.

You mean supporting Osama bin Laden?
He's one and perhaps I'll cut an inch of slack because he wasn't quite as damnable when he directed his venom at the Soviets and the Soviet Afghan government.

But let's not fall into the trap of only focusing on bin Laden. Many other mujahedin were given their starts there and perfected their training. Some went on to the Taliban, others also set up the new training camps that have been a terrible thorn in our side. Some probably went and joined the Northern Alliance, also.

Would it have been possible to fund a resistance without inviting in all these foreign jihadists? I wish I knew, but since I'm no expert on the other options available (including just letting the Soviets screw around in the country and probably lose out anyway), I can't elaborate.

I just had to address this one.

Are you kidding? He was an excellent speaker.

I mean, your other points clearly prove that you know very little about the Cold War, as you seem to be both for it and against it... but have you actually seen any video of the guy speaking? Perhaps I'm just nostalgic since we haven't seen a president since him who spoke in such a manner, but he spoke very well.

Aye, Reagan was quite a good speaker. Inspirational, even.

Jefferson Davis!

It's not over yet!

And it's not traitors that should be hanged, it's tyrants.
People should even be protected from the tyranny of majority vote.

Considering I'll probably become a 'traitor' some day, It should just be confederates being hung (Every time I see the flag or a bumper sticker/hat saying THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN I feel like blowing it up). That is, of course, unless you can be doing things against the gov't for the greater good of humanity and not be considered a traitor, then the 'traitors should be hung' could stand.

Traitors to whom?

That's just sickeningly ironic. Sickening because apparently Africans don't count as people to be protected.

Of course the African Americans count as people that need to be protected from majority vote. The only reason that they weren't was that they were not protected from before the foundation of our government. Traditions can have far-reaching and long term effects, and the consequences of our actions must be considered carefully, both in the long and short terms.

Don't mistake me for a supporter of slavery, I'm only a supporter of Freedom

Quite frankly, any true supporter of freedom would never support the Rebels over the Union. No right was being infringed upon in the South except their right to own slaves.

1. George W. Bush :p
2. FDR(for his actions during the war, not his political beliefs)
3. Teddy
4. JFK (For actions during the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Space Race)
5. Ronald Regan
6. George Washington
7. Abraham Lincoln
8. Harry Truman
9. David Dwight Eisenhower
10. John Adams

1. George W. Bush :p
2. FDR(for his actions during the war, not his political beliefs)
3. Teddy
4. JFK (For actions during the Cuban Missile Crisis and the Space Race)
5. Ronald Regan
6. George Washington
7. Abraham Lincoln
8. Harry Truman
9. David Dwight Eisenhower
10. John Adams

Great List. :goodjob: I still think Reagan was the best.

But why John Adams?

Two of our most underestimated Presidents were Andrew Jackson and Woodrow Wilson. They both did great deeds, but they were overshadowed by the more textbook-friendly Washington and Kennedy, and that's just awful.

Top Bottom