Who/What will be the next "threat to the Western World" after Islamic Terrorism?

CCA

Emperor
The current "threat to the western world"/bogeyman of today is Islamic Terrorism.

In the past it was Communism.

What will be the next "threat to the wester world"/bogeyman?

Communism, specifically the ChiComs. Actually, they are currently the greatest threat, but it's long term. Terrorism can never utterly destroy our nation. China could have that capability eventually. Deal with 'em now.

Communism, specifically the ChiComs. Actually, they are currently the greatest threat, but it's long term. Terrorism can never utterly destroy our nation. China could have that capability eventually. Deal with 'em now.
You can't be serious in calling China communist/

Are you?

Yep. Don't let their experiments with free market fool you. Last I checked they still had the same governmental system as before. Communist Party, Politburo, Party Chairman, etc.

Sometimes I feel like Kassandra of Troy. I see the danger and tell everyone about it, but get written off as a kook. Well, we all know how Troy ended...

My Poli Sci professor (and other authors like Kaldor, blah, blah, etc.) says the next world wide threat will be resource scarcity caused from over-exploitation and global warming and this will cause the subsequent disestablishment of states unable to control groups competing for resources. All of this leads to good stuff like an influx of too much migration to the western states, and an increase in generalized terrorism and paramilitary groups perpetuating violence and crime for profit (not just islamic terrorism). Global warming could also be a threat to the "western world" by itself as well.

That, or dinosaurs.

edit: But based on the stuff I've read, I wouldn't call Islamic terrorism the current "bogeyman". Some of it all actually requires serious action, not for us to put our heads in the sand.

Communist China, a united extreme leftist Latin America, a resurgent, authoritarian Russia, or conceivably, the EU. Of these, I think that Communist china is the most likely enemy.

BTW- They ARE communist. They have let in very limited amounts of capitalism but still are a communist nation.

Also, I believe that the global warming threat will go away like the global cooling and acid rain scares of the past. We also have enormous untapped oil reserves worldwide that can keep us afloat for a long time.

A slowing economy, more retirees in need of health care, and rising debt.

On a side note, I would like to point out that Islamic Terroism is nowhere near as big a threat today, as communism was during the Cold War.

Islamic Terrorism will never cease being the current threat. There may be some that come along and stand beside it, but it will never be replaced.

Aliens.

Seriously. 'Terrorism' can be so loosely defined that I don't see a need for us to ever fight anything again. 'Terrorism' might change from Islamic to so other form, but 'terrorism' is here to stay in my view.

[offtopic] On a TV programme about nuisance neighbours one of the fellas on there refered to the music from next door as "Noise Terrorism" :rolleyes: the word is losing all meaning.

Top Bottom