1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who would have been a better president the past 3 years

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Disgustipated, Feb 12, 2012.

?

Who would have been the better president the past 3 years?

1. Obama

51.1%
  2. Hilary Clinton

48.9%
  1. Murky

Murky Chieftain

I view Ralph Nader's run for office like a dog chasing a car, he wouldn't know what to do it with if he succeeded in catching it.

2. Chibiabos

Chibiabos Chieftain

Ralph Nader had a plan, Murky, one much more grounded in reality of what has been tried in the past and what has or hasn't worked than any of the other candidates. That you are so dismissive of this and state something contradictory to it goes to prove my point: Americans are stupid and deserve the stupid presidents they elect.

3. Murky

Murky Chieftain

Ralph Nader is a either a dreamer or a con artist. Every election cycle he gets some gullible group of supporters to help him get on the ballot and he usually gets financial support from right-wing sources because they know he'll more than likely take votes away from the left-wing candidate. He'll wind up with 1-5% of the vote. No where near enough to win, but enough give the right-wing candidate a better chance.

4. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Nader was an interesting alternate candidate over a decade ago. Now, he is simply a crazy person.

5. Thedrin

Thedrin Chieftain

After 2000, the US "left" isn't going to give Ralph Nadar the time they used to.

6. JohnRM

JohnRM Don't make me destroy you

My gut says, "Hilary."

7. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

SuperObama Japan

8. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I still think that most of his promises were bad ideas, so keeping those is not a positive in my opinion.

I was talking about how he campaigned against things like an individual mandate for health insurance, which went on to be a cornerstone of "Obama care." (While he said he would ideally prefer a single payer national healthcare system, during his campaign he was also much more open to conservative reforms to make it easier for individuals to buy insurance seperate from their employers and across state lines.) Ironically, if Romney wins the Republican nomination they will both have to campaign against their former positions.

We has also tended to follow Clinton's much more hawkish foreign policy, and has taken a lot of things for which he criticized the Bush administration even further.

9. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

No, Nader couldn't be elected because his policy positions are WAY out of step of the typical american voter. Remember, there are nearly twice as many self described conservatives as there are liberals. Mainstream democratic pols might pick up a few of his ideas, but the full plate of Nader would unelectable, even if he had plenty of money and a campaign organization (which he doesn't).

10. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Dead even. This is unexpected.

Edit: X-post

11. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I'm loving the even split in the poll.

EDIT: oh wow x-post :lol:

12. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

As a Republican I won't vote. But in my opinion, a Clinton presidency would have been scandal-filled, and accomplishing little - would give itself credit for much.

A word on Ralph Nader. He was an extremely important consumer advocate in his day. And the public - especially out on the left coast - owe him a dept of gratitude. It's a shame he was caught up in the 2000 election controversy as a spoiler. But would he have made a good President? Probably not - too focused on a limited agenda.

President Obama has been important because he broke the color-barrier. Similarly Clinton would have broken the sex-barrier. Yet there might have been a birther-like controversy around Hilary as well. Something female-related (ie., menopause and the Bomb). Beyond that their partisan democratic policies wouldn't have diverged much.

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Ralph Nader has probably saved more American lives without violence than any other active politician today.

The second paragraph of your post is what has me thinking. I haven't voted at all because I can't game out whether Clinton or Obama would have been able to break the gridlock, and whether or not the additional legislation they passed through would be good in my eyes. I'm especially interested in how others would have handled the debt ceiling negotiations or the tax cut extensions, where Obama essentially switched his allegiances.

14. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

I would point out one thing. When candidate Bill Clinton ran for president in 1992, one of his most important campaign promises was to have a Health Care Reform Bill before Congress within his first 100 days in office. He put Hilary in charge of it - and had Democratic majorities in both the House and the Senate. Yet it came to nothing.

Barrack Obama made the same promise, and for good or ill, came through and delivered.

15. bhsup

bhsup Chieftain

I voted Obama. But not because I really think he'd be a better President than her, but because I don't think the difference would have been that big, whereas she's been an outstanding SecState under him, helping him look good at times.

16. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Neither could have broken the partisan deadlock. But my feeling is that Hillary may have recognized that sooner and stopped trying to do so. One of Obama's biggest faults has been bending over backwards to try and work with people who refuse to budge an inch to work with him.