Who would lead Assyria?

TyrannusRex

Warlord
Just give me an explanation as to who you would pick to lead Assyria, with justification as to why. If they've never led the civ in-game before, that's even better, but feel free to vouch for any Assyrian monarch at all.

I would like to go with Ashurbanipal again just for the sole purpose of we don't have a leader that plays off the collecting of Great works.
Historically he used both threats and war as a means of obtaining works to store in his library. I think that would make a good ability along with extra slots of writing in his libraries and palace. His agenda would be he dislikes civs that obtain more great works than he does.

No leader should be picked just because of their possible agenda. Ashurbanupal is worthy though, but my preference is Sammuramat ^__^ Semi-legendary queen of Assyria, a great alleged builder and the subject of many renaissance works of writing.

If we getting only one more expanssion , I doubt we get both babylon and assyria..but if we do then Tiglath-Pileser III
+1 Tiglath-Pileser III is easily my top choice.

...Why does he look East African? Also, while Tiglath-Pileser III was indeed a warrior, he was more significant for his reforms than for his wars. I do like the idea of redistributing population from conquered cities based on districts, though; it's similar to my mourning war idea for the Iroquois and very appropriate for Assyria.

Shamshi Adad I can be the most interesting pick of a great Assyrian leader, since he can represent the Old kingdom.
Just like the pick of Barbarossa for Germany (which personally I don't like), Firaxis have shown us how they can pick another phase of the Civ we know from ealier editions, and it is reflected by the leader.

Shamshi Adad I can be the most interesting pick of a great Assyrian leader, since he can represent the Old kingdom.
Just like the pick of Barbarossa for Germany (which personally I don't like), Firaxis have shown us how they can pick another phase of the Civ we know from ealier editions, and it is reflected by the leader.
Indeed, I think the Old Kingdom is due to appear. I would prefer a trade focused Assyria inspired by the karum system and thus prefer someone like Erishum I. over the mostly-famous-for-conquering Shamshi Adad I.

Looks like there's plenty of good choices here. Tiglath-Pileser III and Ashurbanupal sound like the best choices for their reforms and collecting of great works respectively. I'll be sure to take a closer look into leaders from the older periods as well.

Sennachrib.
Not Sennachrib. His own sons murdered him after experiencing military defeat ~ the ultimate shame for an Assyrian leader!
Ashurbanipal is a much more successful choice, and very well known for an ancient Assyrian king.

Ashurbanipal is a much more successful choice, and very well known for an ancient Assyrian king.
We had him last time. Tiglath-Pileser III or Esarhadon would be someone new. Sennacherib also had some successes before being murdered, so he's not a horrible choice--I understand he's a popular figure with modern Assyrian nationalists, perhaps because he's referenced in the Bible (albeit not exactly positively...). Then again, people name their children Cain, so... :p

We had him last time. Tiglath-Pileser III or Esarhadon would be someone new. Sennacherib also had some successes before being murdered, so he's not a horrible choice--I understand he's a popular figure with modern Assyrian nationalists, perhaps because he's referenced in the Bible (albeit not exactly positively...). Then again, people name their children Cain, so... :p
Can't imagine why Assyrian nationalists would choose Sennacherib over one of their other historical leaders (his appearance in the Bible included), but then again Nationalists seldom make any sense.
And yes, there are a few really good choices for Assyrian leaders, which I wouldn't mind seeing. I don't mind that Ashurbanipal has already made an appearance, we can see him again...they often reuse the same leaders. That being said, I would be happy with other choices, but just not Sennacherib...Maybe it's my personal dislike of dead-beat dads. No decent father would get murdered by his own children.

Can't imagine why Assyrian nationalists would choose Sennacherib over one of their other historical leaders (his appearance in the Bible included), but then again Nationalists seldom make any sense.
It's better than the Hungarians claiming to be Sumerian. :crazyeye: He's a high-profile name, did a lot of building (including the Hanging Gardens of Nineveh), and more pragmatically his name probably translates to Neo-Aramaic better than Tukulti-ninurta or Ashur-etil-ilani. :p

I don't mind that Ashurbanipal has already made an appearance, we can see him again...they often reuse the same leaders.
I don't usually mind, either, but Assyria has tragically only appeared once so far. It just seems like a good opportunity to have someone new.

Maybe it's my personal dislike of dead-beat dads. No decent father would get murdered by his own children.
Royalty seems to rarely make good parents (with exceptions, of course).

It's better than the Hungarians claiming to be Sumerian. :crazyeye: He's a high-profile name, did a lot of building (including the Hanging Gardens of Nineveh), and more pragmatically his name probably translates to Neo-Aramaic better than Tukulti-ninurta or Ashur-etil-ilani. :p

I don't usually mind, either, but Assyria has tragically only appeared once so far. It just seems like a good opportunity to have someone new.

Royalty seems to rarely make good parents (with exceptions, of course).

Maybe someone new would be good then, just not Sennacherib.

Gilgamesh. :p

I don't think Gilgamesh has left room for an Assyria or Babylonian civ. He has an Assyria city list, but he speaks Babylonian. He has war carts AND ziggurats. He's an amalgamation of the best parts of both civs.

So, naturally I think the best option is to make Shammamurat an alt leader for Sumeria. She is also semi-mythical. She also has both Babylonian and Assyrian roots. I think she'd be a great counterpart, but she could never lead an Assyria civ because Sumeria took so much of its design space.

Gilgamesh. :p

I don't think Gilgamesh has left room for an Assyria or Babylonian civ. He has an Assyria city list, but he speaks Babylonian. He has war carts AND ziggurats. He's an amalgamation of the best parts of both civs.
This is both true and untrue. What I mean by that is yes, in every respect he's Assyro-Babylonian because he is The Epic of Gilgamesh, a Babylonian epic poem. The only thing Sumerian about him is his capital and his war carts. But I don't think that means there's no space for Assyria or Babylon. (Also he is speaking an older dialect of Akkadian than Babylonian, albeit badly.)

So, naturally I think the best option is to make Shammamurat an alt leader for Sumeria. She is also semi-mythical.
Actually, Shammuramat is perfectly historical albeit insignificant. It's the fetishized Greek myth Semiramis who is mythical.

Actually, Gilgabro doesn't exclude Assyria at all. Assyria is such a versatile empire they can actually be culture and builder-focused (especially with a leader like Sammurammat who allegedly tried to build tunnels under the Euphrates??)

The Karum could be a tile improvement or Com Hub replacement, their UU can be a Quburru (an archer) or the Hupshu ( a spearman) and there's definitely some room for a few creative Civ Abilities there. I should drop in an Assyria in the Design Your Own Civ thread. They totally deserve some more love.

Top Bottom