Who would you look up to more?

Eukaryote

Deity
When it comes to big questions of science and morality and stuff, who would you look up to more, someone you agree with but is crazy or fanatical about their opinion, or someone you disagree with but is very calm and polite about it?

For example, let's assume that you believe in evolution and believe the universe is 13.7 billion years old. Which of these people would you like better:

You: Do you believe in evolution?
Joe: Of course I do! Creationists are so <snip> stupid. I hate them. How can they believe in crazy <snip> just because a book tells you to? And we're supposed to "respect their beliefs" even though they hold back the advancement of society. It's ridiculous.

or

You: Do you believe in evolution?
Josh: No actually, I think people were created by God. It's just a personal belief.

_____
Edit: I know this kind of thing is not actually a matter of "opinion" but you get the idea.

Moderator Action: Language.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

It's kind of hard looking up at either one when you're taller than both.

This is an easy one for me - I detest people who are intolerant and narrow-minded. Although on the other hand, I respect greatly those people who put their point of view across strongly - even forcefully. It's not so much the way people put their own viewpoint across, but how they react when others are putting a different viewpoint across.

I've gotta second Hygro's opinion.

When it comes to big questions of science and morality and stuff, who would you look up to more, someone you agree with but is crazy or fanatical about their opinion, or someone you disagree with but is very calm and polite about it?

"Science and morality and stuff"? Which of those?

I am disappointed in the OP for implying that science questions are a matter of opinion.

...... who would you look up to more......

Which of these people would you like better.......
First question: Takes a lot more than that for me to look up to either one of them.

Second question: I'd agree with the first guy but like the second one better for not being obnoxious.

It depends on the situation.

I'm not looking up to anyone about it, but I certainly find it more pleasant to be around someone who is reserved about their opinions, rather than someone that inflicts them on all comers, whether they agree with me or not. In fact, I'd rather they not agree with me, if they're close-minded mouthy jackasses.

I'm not looking up to anyone about it, but I certainly find it more pleasant to be around someone who is reserved about their opinions, rather than someone that inflicts them on all comers, whether they agree with me or not. In fact, I'd rather they not agree with me, if they're close-minded mouthy jackasses.

With the caveat sometimes you want a cheerleader for the home team, I'm with this.

Ridicule of religion is healthy for a free society, as long as it is done in a tasteful manner.

Top Bottom