1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whoa whoa whoa, 8 GB? Really?!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by SHaW1986, May 29, 2012.

1. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

dude i can barely play the leader animations with what ive got, could never figure out the deal with that, ive always been way over specs and it still has problems

2. Raiki

Raiki Warlord

Yeah, I have a similar problem. I've got 12GB ram, well over 200GB of free HD space, and an excellent dedicated graphics card, yet for some reason my computer still lags just the tiniest bit when loading Askia and Montezuma. :confused:

~R~

3. Sethyboy0

Sethyboy0 Chieftain

I hope the entire expansion isn't 8 GB. I have most of my games on a solid state, and I only have 18 GB left on it.

4. TheMarshmallowBear

TheMarshmallowBear Benelovent Chieftain of the BearKingdom

People, it's NOT EIGHT GIGABYTES!!

Darn it, go and read the specs for the vanilla game, and COMPARE it to the actual folder size of your vanilla game, AND compare it to the specs of God and Kings!

5. poom3619

poom3619 Ping Pang Poom!

Wow, too. Maybe it is good time to clean up?

6. anandus

anandus Errorist

It's a seperate 1Tb-disk for Steam. I have the bad habit of installing all the games I have on Steam :rolleyes: (a sort of paranoia, so I can always play offline as soon as Steam goes bust or something :p )
    Of course I could uninstall games I don't play that often, but it's not needed (yet),but as soon as my Steam-folder starts to outgrow the disk, then I'll probably throw some games off.

7. The Little One

The Little One Warlord

Well I still have 155 gig left so no problems there, but still this does seem ridiculous. Especially since my base game adds up to just 6.66 gig (which is also a little worrying...)

8. The Swede

The Swede Viking

What does it matter?

I got 1.2 TB free space... :p

9. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

People play Civ5 on laptops?? I didn't think playing any high-performance games was possible on a laptop, let alone Civ5. Get a real computer. :)

10. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I wish I had a laptop to play civ on! That way I could play it at work, or in the bathroom, or at a boring family function, or outside on my deck on a beautiful spring day. That's the one drawback of having a desktop computer: being confined to that one location in my house.

11. SHaW1986

SHaW1986 Prince

lol i move around WAY to much to own a desktop

12. anandus

anandus Errorist

I play mostly on my decent PC, but sometimes on a laptop.

Quite an old one, I'm always amazed on how well it runs on the old laptop
    (How old? Well it has a Ati X1600 graphics card. It's below system requirements, but works fine, although there are some graphic glitches, but nothing too serious)

13. elprofesor

elprofesor Pluri-editing poster

Playing games with large sceneries is impossible on a laptop. Civ5 is quite playable though, especially on strategic view.
    AIs turns take a while, but that seems to be the case for everyone. And the random chance of getting Askia's or Moctezuma's leaderscreen force me to put "leaderscreen quality" on low. That fire really eats up my laptop's resources...

14. Fern

Fern Chieftain

My computer will survive, whether it's with or without the base game. But if we don't count the base game, 3 GB is still quite a chunk.
    How big is BTS, by the way?

:p I do! Luckily it can handle high graphic settings too.

15. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

LOL. Yeah, I can see the mobility part but I have real nice office and workstation that I built. It's quiet, I can focus and listen to my music while playing and not get distracted - as I have been doing since the 1980s. Turn lengths aside, I really like playing on high res on a 24" monitor.

16. janboruta

janboruta Artistriarch

I have a Lenovo Y570 ideapad with Geforce GT555 and 4gigs of RAM (can upgrade to 8 gigs total), and Civ 5 works like charm on highest settings (1388 x 768 resolution, though), save for the heat problems - nothing a cooling pad or a large book couldn't solve :D Only the turn times on Huge and Gedemon's Giant Earth maps are long, but otherwise it runs smoothly. So yes, there are laptops that can play demanding games well : )

8 GB of disk space isn't that much (though I bet Civ5 vanilla is 5 GB and GaK - 3 GB) when Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 Total War games with various mods take up to 90 gigs on my hard drive, not to mention Medieval 2 with mods, another 15 gigs... Civ 5 is lightweight in comparison :D

17. Saxony

Saxony Chieftain

I have a 1.5 year old laptop and it playes ciV, Emprire total war and napoleon juts fine on medium-high settings.

18. compwiz1202

compwiz1202 King

My laptop runs fine on all highest too. I just wouldn't ever want to play on only battery. I tested once, and I don't even think it lasted an hour. :crazyeye:

19. Alexastor

Alexastor Warlord

Maybe they counted in other-language voice files as well? Nobody will install all languages at once, but you'll never know...

20. peder75

peder75 Chieftain

Space requirement for all games is always what is needed to install the game. It's not how much space the game will take up in the end. During installation the game needs extra space for unpacking all data packages and other files that are only used during installation. Actual disk space taken in the end is usually half of what is required, for some games even just a third.