whoknows01 - C3C Training on Monarch - Conq/Dom

whoknows888

Warlord
Hey, looking for some pointers from you greater players out there. Looking to get a good training game going and learn from my prior mistakes. I usually try to raise a large enough army to campaign against my neighbors, but I usually have to take one out at a time, and usually have to fight a much larger civ in MidA/early IA.

Map stats:
Playing as: Aztecs
World size: standard
World: Pangaea, 70%, 4 billion, Normal
Temperature: Temperate
Barbarians: Roaming
Rivals: Random
Victories enabled: Conquest and Domination
Ai Agression: Normal

Would like to learn how to better handle of 0% reserach and keeping up in techs. (Edit: We do not have to do this!!! We will research at our own pace if you would like.)

Start A

Start B

Start C

Please elaborate as much as you can on why actions were made instead of just what the decisions were while submitting turns as this is more of a training game.

Pretty standard, 24 hrs to get the save and 48 to play & post the save. Please post skips or delays so that everyone stays informed....

Also, no exploits will be used (RoP rape, Palace Jump, etc.). If something is questionable, bring it up and we'll discuss!

Hope we get this started!

lurker's comment: not a sign up. Aztecs are not the civ to pick for a no research game. 'Pelgo works better for no research. Your goal is trades and war, not pummeling the AI. You definitely want the Phil. slingshot and a civ that doesn't start with Alpha severly inhibits that. The starts you rolled are not really condusive to no research. Here's a suggestion - try Dutch with "reefer" as the seed. Your game so you decide. I'll lurk either way. Good luck.

You definitely want the Phil. slingshot and a civ that doesn't start with Alpha severly inhibits that.
lurker's comment: How are you gonna do that without research? Goody huts?

Well I can always change it, if it is a horrible idea... I was hoping we would broker a bit if anyone decided to play. I don't mind editing the post, I was just prefering that I would want a 0% to learn the trade of doing so abit more. It isn't a necessity.

@ tomoyo - good catch. I'm having those idiot hallucinations again. What i think I was trying to say was aztecs are not good for no research. a commercial, agri, civ would be better...

@ Admiral Kutzov - the Aztecs and C3C are military and agr. I picked them for cheap barracks and units and extra growth. Just wanted to point that out to you.

Yeah, but AK is correct for the main point: If you pick a variant as newcomer, you should also pick a Civ that fits to this variant.
No Research begs for SEA or COM Civs, with the SEA/COM English as very best choice.
Aztecs are indeed great for fast Conquest/ Domination victories.

Btw, don't get frustrated when it takes some time before I'll eventually have enough sign-ups, that is pretty normal.

I'll play, if you'll have me. :bounce:

I'm a monarch player. I tried emperor for the first time this week, and got smacked. :twitch: So I could stand to learn some stuff, too...

p.s. First post!

Roster

whoknows888
Mach
TCS1
Predesad
-Open-(?)

Mach thanks for signing up. Should be great to learn things from a fellow Monarch player.

I'm in. Like other have said, the Aztecs wouldn't be good for no reasearch. Also, start A looks like the best, folowed by B. Flood plains are great for early expansion.

Sure, who. I'm looking forward to this. :)

Let's see, the starts...they all look do-able to me. Start A might be dry, it depends on whether the water to the east is lake or coast. I think I like C over A. Start C is definitely not dry, the sugar plains are as good as bgs, and we get the commerce bonus from the river. Start B has a shield problem, we may have to do some whipping there...

@ TCS1 - I was leaning more towards B, then A, because of the flood plains for early growth, but you have to factor in the possibility of disease. Start A has two bonus grasslands and the mountains could provide with early iron and some extra needed shields.

/Delurk/ Your best bet would be C. With A, you may not be able to irrigate, unless that water source to the east is fresh, and that would penalize you in terms of growth. You would also need an aqueduct, and there's no immediate evidence of a river. With B, it's not a question of "if" but "when" you will take a pop hit due to disease. You may well get hit twice, for a loss of 4 pop. With C you can irrigate the two sugars and will have a decent amount of production. That assumes you make your settler move 1 west prior to settling.

@M60A3TTS -- I agree. I hadn't thought of the disease problem. But I think we should mine those sugar plains, not irrigate them. The sugar gives +1 food, so those tiles are already 2 food...irrigating wouldn't give us anything under despotism. We could always irrigate them later, under a different government...

Mach said:
irrigating wouldn't give us anything under despotism. We could always irrigate them later, under a different government...
Quite right of course. C is still the best choice in any case.

Alright C is the choice. I will make the final roster when we get one or two (perferably two) if we can. If we start the game and a person would like to join if we have 4 or 5, we can make an exception. This is going to be fun :).

Anyone else want to join???

whoknows888 said:
Anyone else want to join???

i'll join, i have been wanting to try a succession game for awhile. i play at emporer, but don't take that to mean i am necessarily better than you i still have a lot to learn. I like start c, i liked start b too, but there are some weaknesses there. Anyway, back to start b, i would recommend moving settler east to grass or se to hills (stay by river but move off sugar), worker then immediately starts to mine (neither irrigation nor roads give any benefit, but i would still road the tile before moving the worker off of it) i would then say move worker to other sugar and again mine then road, then to bg and mine / road (although roading 1st is debatble depending upon in game situation. Of course those moves are dependant upon what we see when the settler moves if we move the settler, which I highly reccommend.

any other discussion before we start, provided i am accepted to play.

Top Bottom