1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whole Empire challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Lokolus, Nov 11, 2007.

1. micbic

micbic Optimistic Pessimist

Euratlas trial version is also kinda good, but only works for Europe.

2. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

psst you forgot Jamaica, N&S Rhodesia and South-West Africa

3. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Englands presence in the Caribbean can well be presented by one city, which I have. And I have Rhodesia and South-West Africa entirely under my influence (Port Nolloth!)...:eek:

4. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

South-West goes to second tile of hump, Rhodesia goes one beyond it, what is the culture level in Nolloth?

5. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Refined (60% defence), as is Quelimane and Mombasa; Durban is refined or above.

6. Trajan7

Trajan7 Imperator

@Jusos2108: any tips on how to achieve the British Empire that you did the third time?

7. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Go for Egypt first, Alexandria will speed up your research and Jerusalem economy. In my game Arabs had builded the Spiral Minaret in Cairo, which was a great bonus. You should attack after the Ottoman spawn, since Arabia will be weaker and Byzantiums navy should be gone. Keeping Jerusalem against Ottoman culture is hard, I used the culture slider, so it worked out fine.

Use resettlement, because you'll be founding lots of cities. Taking cities that you don't need is also good, since you can later liberate them to your vassals for signicant stability bonuses. Don't liberate them too early, since that benefits you more when you've lots of cities.

EDIT: focuse on getting great spy as your first GP, sent it to steal techs from the dutch (you need engineering against the arabs). Your research will be slow, so make sure to get communism first too -> more stealing :D You also need to build all the stability boosting buildings in every city after theatre or library, slavery helps.

If you have more questions, just ask. :)

8. Trajan7

Trajan7 Imperator

What buildings have stability bonuses?

9. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

Courthouses, jails, intelligence agencies and security bureaus. See the RFC guide to stability.

10. Trajan7

Trajan7 Imperator

What other methods for increasing research would you recomend?

By the way, thanks for all the advice!

11. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

1. Build many cottages and upgrade them.
    2. Build many Libraries and Universities etc.
    3. Don't build more then 8 cities. (or it will increase you tech costs)

12. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Well, that probably won't happen since he is recreating the British Empire.

Anyways, you'll have lots of espionage buildings in all of your cities and therefore great amount of espionage points per turn. Most of them should be used to steal techs, but you can also use some of them to steal money from France and Mali (They usually have lots. Remember that the money shown on the tech trade screen isn't the actual amount of money that the civ has. The real amount is only shown by taking a spy into the foreign city) and that way you can keep your science % high while running at net loss like -200gold per turn. Make sure assign your espionage points properly.

For example: you get about 800esp. points per turn, assign them all to Mali for one turn and you can probably steal money from them the next. Next turn sign all of them to someone who is researching a tech you need. You'll need lots (at least 6) of spies in galleons too.

And you're welcome! :)

13. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

If he tries it, he should build those cities as late as possible.

I normally don't get much money when I steal it. It never is more then about 50 gold. That isn't enough to run a big research rate.

I'm welcome to what?

14. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Well, if you're recreating the British Empire, you just don't have enough time to found the cities later, at least I didn't, and all the needed spots will be taken, so they need to be conquered, which makes it that much harder. So I really just have to say no here.

You have been stealing from the wrong people, I have gotten easily around 1500 gold from Mali and France. Usually I get around 500 gold (after 1650 and that's when you really need it).

I only meant first paragraph for you and since we were discussing this earlier I didn't bother to quote him anymore, so that's meant to him.

15. Trajan7

Trajan7 Imperator

Thanks again, this all helps a lot!

So, what is your recomended research path?

16. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

Compass first, steal engineering+guilds+something else (maybe gunpowder later) from the dutch, optics, beeline to liberalism and take astronomy with it. Trade DR from Mali (BTW, I always sent one settler and a longbow to SA to found Durban on the gold. When the galley is coming back, the Malinese have already spawned. I also build the Forbidden Palace in Durban). After astronomy go for constitution (jails), democracy (SoL,SBs) and communism. Getting rifling for redcoats and banking for stock exchanges are also priorities. Everything else I pretty much what you prefer and what others have researched for you to steal.

17. rigo92

rigo92 Chieftain

Although I didn't do this in regular RFC, but in the DoC modmod, I think I created a very good, 12-city Spanish empire, I conquered Aztecs and Inca and then Mali offered to be my vassal. I chose 12 cities because I believe it to be the ideal size for stability and research purposes - if I am not mistaken when you reach 13 cities you get an 8% penalty to research or something. I am not claiming that this is the end-all be-all best possible Spanish empire, as I am sure many people here have outdone me. I know that I missed Phillipines, Venezuela, Cuba, Uruguay, Argentina and others, but still, I sticked with 12 cities mostly for convenience and research/stability purposes.

A couple of notes: I killed the Portuguese and founded Palos (where Faro normally is) and in America I razed Arequipa and Yax Mutal as I felt they get in the way. Normally I would have just conquered Tucume, but barbs razed it before my conquerors even reached it (and then they also razed an Inca-founded Chan-chan, again, before I even reached it), and so I founded Guayaquil 1 tile N of where Tucume would normally be. Also, the french collapsed after I razed Bordeoux (or however it is spelt) and Marseille, they then founded nimes or something and then another city, but their collapse was inevitable. To fill the void, Germany raced in and took all of their cities.

Also, I have an extremely high catholic population (I am using theocracy and all of my cities are pure catholic) so I pretty much control the Apostolic Palace - I think that I have more votes alone than all other leaders combined.

Game didn't turn out too bad. I was able to build hollywood in L.A. as well as many other wonders elsewhere. I won in the end a space race victory in 1991. Also, the USA became my vassal, presumably because they were at war with England and the Netherlands (who was England's vassal) so I pretty much "bought" the USA from England, I payed 1 tech to England in exchange for them making peace with the USA and then I simply proceeded to offer vassal status to Lincoln. The French resurrected and offered to be my vassal (given that Napoleon is a massive backstabber, I accepted his offer given that he wasn't at war with anyone, and that I was going to breath easier knowing I don't have to look at france over my shoulder) I also accepted vassal offers (that flyed in once I became THE established superpower) from Khmer and India, but not from Egypt and a couple others (who were at war with Russia - no way in hell im going head to head against the other, nuclear-enabled superpower.) This was all on monarch, btw.

18. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Currently building the Holy Britannian Empire. So far, I've got all of the British Isles, Mexico (Mayans vassaled and reduced to Olximche), Inca Lands(Vassaled), Cayenne, Toronto, Carolina, Denmark and France(Last 2 vassaled from France). Using DoC on Viceroy.

19. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Deity

My best Roman game, ever!:D (on monarch)

Spoiler :

20. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Of the empires mentioned in the OP, I've only ever tried as Germany. It's pretty easy.