1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whole Empire challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Lokolus, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Lokolus

Lokolus Retired...

I think it is the best so far...

2. Cossack Captain

Cossack Captain Chieftain

Excellent effort! For that early a time period it's really great! Only thing is that most of the cities were not so little populated they were much bigger at the time but that's not your fault. Great job!!! You are worthy of the name Alexander the Great!

3. Úmarth

Úmarth Megalomaniac

Very nice mushyman.

4. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

Here is my attempt at the Russian empire. The goal was to cover the area of greatest extent shown on Wikipedia in 1866 (see attached). This doesn't include the light green area of "influence". This was mongol territory, and they wouldn't vassal, they just collapsed. I like to think of the independents in this area as my vassals anyway. On the screenshot I outlined the line of my culture at the edges.

The only significant omission was failing to get to Warsaw. The Germans were very powerful and my friends (together with the Vikings we maintained a three-way defensive pact for much of the game), and I didn't have time to catch up with them in tech and betray them. I also failed to spread my culture over all of Siberia. There is a significant lack of possible city sites (thanks to the inability to found on tundra unless it's next to ice-free ocean) in some regions, and the cities you can found will be constrained to be small and thus provide little culture. Still, I broadly covered all of Siberia and founded a little Alaska/Pacific Northwest colony. The only ahistorical addition was Instanbul. I had a couple wars with the Muslim Turks and captured that city in an attempt to collapse them (which didn't work).

I stayed in European Russia for quite some time before striking out into Siberia. After I did, my expansion was one star most of the way, but by judicious use of Nationalism/Occupation while taking the Mongol empire and then resettlement (using an olympic park GA) I was able to stave off collapse. A 5 star economy helped.

Attached Files:

5. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Good job. I tried and failed as Russia due to the stability issues. I reached Vladivostok and went into civil war. Probably would have happened much earlier but I managed 3 golden ages during the 1800s with various GP and Olympic Park.

Did you manage to build a railway all the way from the Baltic to the Pacific? That would be cool.

And how do you get those numbers showing you how many turns to growth/builds to show up in the city name bars?

6. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

I didn't have the railroad built by 1866 -- I didn't have the tech for it. That was mostly due to choosing other targets. In particular, I went for medicine which cut short a late/nasty plague, communism (state property is a no-brainer for a Russia this size) and electricity for the Research Institutes.

I specifically chose not to research 2 key technologies: democracy and economics, both for stability reasons. It is a bad for your stability to have democracy if you don't adopt emancipation and universal suffrage, and I certainly wasn't going to have more turns of anarchy to switch to those -- the serfs would get uppity but a little emancipation unhappiness was manageable. It's also bad for your stability to have economics and be in a decentralized economy (which I was). Again, I knew I wanted to switch to state property, so I waited until I did that to acquire economics + corporation. My big trading cities all had castles anyway, so the extra trade routes gained at corporation mostly just offset the economics-related losses.

I also used the recently-provided settler maps to choose my city sites, in particular I founded Vladivostok as far east as possible, choosing a slightly worse site in order to be in the dark grey.

Anyway, all this kept me stable or shaky the whole time.

7. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

It's actually OK - for quite a lot of time Russia's ambitions were to control the Straits of Bosphorus and Dardanelles.

8. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

From the start-up screen, click: Advanced → Options → Graphics → Detailed City Info

9. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Thankyou very much.

10. Theodorick

Theodorick King

Has anyone ever managed to control the entire USSR territory, as well as found Saint Petersburg and Volgograd (Leningrad and Stalingrad) while having any luck in the game?

I see the one above who got close to it had it easy because Mongolia and China collapsed? When I went for the Russian Empire, I had to go to war with Mongolia, China, and then Japan. And then to try and get the USSR empire, I had to declare war on German, Scandinavia, Turkey, and Greece (And for some reason, France joined in). The USSR attempt failed though, and I had a Barbarossa like war that destroyed me.

11. sedna17

sedna17 Emperor

Actually, in my attempt the Mongols collapsed China and then I collapsed the Mongols through war. But I was also lucky that Japan was weak (and eventually collapsed) so that I did not have to fight them for Vladivostok.

The key to getting the USSR (imho) is to settle the German/Scandanavia portion really early. If you can grab this land and then keep peace with the Europeans I think the Asian conquests are quite possible, as long as no individual power is too strong -- the key is you have such a long time and most of the territory you want is not in someone else's homeland.

Of course, getting the full sphere of influence for the USSR -- I'm thinking Warsaw pact + Cuba -- that would be challenging.

12. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

I routinely send my settlers west to get a city close to St. Petersburg (e.g. Reval) and Kiev. I also build Abo in Finland. (Dunno why it's called Abo becuase that's the Swedish name for Turku, and if the Russians build Abo it should go by the Slavic name. From Wikipedia:
    Its name originated from an Old East Slavic word, tǔrgǔ, meaning "market place")

From there you can build up your science and military, and I'm sure once Germany collapses, you can rampage through Eastern Europe and get your empire there.

13. sennomulo

sennomulo Friendly

Unless Germany collapses, which it has been doing a lot in my games lately.

14. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

I had all the territory of modern USSR but was Unstable/Collapsing and so I ended up gifting about 4 cities at the Eastern end to my vassal India. That put me as just Unstable, which was enough to make it through to 1950 for the UHV.

I usually found a Baltic city one adjacent to the Gulf of Finland but on the tile to the SE rather than to the E of the E-W row of water tiles. But I can't recall what the city was called unfortunately. I also found a city in Finland, one that can reach the Fish on the opposite coast of Sweden.

The trick with USSR is timing your expansion. Obviously you need the UHV condition of Siberian cities fairly early (well before 1950) but you should wait before founding too many others until around the 1920s or even the 1930s, depending on how many Japanese cities are in the way around Vladivostok. The Mongols are never a problem for this late expansion, even if they are still around. Just send in the Tanks and they don't stand a chance.

15. ijnavy

ijnavy Czar

Does anyone know who made this and how, looks impossible.Roman Empire.

16. Lokolus

Lokolus Retired...

I don't know but it's in a really old Warlords version.

17. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

I've done almost the same recently, except I didn't have Leptis and one less city in Spain, but I had the whole Egypt.

18. wr4th

wr4th Warlord

... me to, and i've posted it in this very same thread. So why not try and read first?
    click me

19. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

tip: try without the Great Wall ;)

20. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

that screenshot is a fake