1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Whole Empire challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Lokolus, Nov 11, 2007.

1. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

Yeah, why would anyone in their right mind build those two Iberian cities one tile in from the coast?

2. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

I did Han-China. I am now going to continue this game and try to create the People's Republic of China.

Attached Files:

3. KnightoftheStar

KnightoftheStar Chieftain

PRC should be interesting, for bonus points try to vassalize the Khmer and make them communists.

4. The Q-Meister

The Q-Meister King

Thanks for confirming it...was about to say something myself but didn't want to appear too cynical or negative. I mean, for an empire that size that early on, his Rome wasn't even producing all that much. Also you think you'd see ships all over the Mediterranean having sent troops to Egypt, Judea, N. Africa, but there are hardly any.

I am willing to say that it's just about impossible to get the entire Roman Empire at its height (including Mesopotamia) within the same time the Romans did historically, just too few turns!

5. apenpaap

That's a pretty good idea. I'll do that, and conquer Korea (it's too small to divide in a northern and southern half in the game)

6. apenpaap

I did the People's Republic of China, and vassalised Khmer and made them Communists as well.

Attached Files:

7. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Would It count if I made a historical Egypt? 2 cities is hard to settle you know..or would a MODERN Portugal or Netherlands Empire Count?:)

8. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Settler Maps? Where Can I find a link to these? I would like to know the best place to settle cities also:)..so I dont have to spend a while calculating and deciding for myslef

9. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

That isnt all of the Roman Empire:)

Need a bit more of middle east at least culture border wise..and need Egypt

10. apenpaap

The settler maps are not the best places to found cities, they show where AI will mostly settle cities.

11. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

Where Can I find them at though? Im shure its the best for Rhyes and Fall becuz many times u SHOULD found cities with just 1 tile seperating it from another city

Unless your talking about the blue circles that appear when you select a settler..in which case It seems that they change what spot they are in every turn..even if u dont move settler..or if u just move him a tiny bit

12. apenpaap

13. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

14. apenpaap

You don't have to load it in anything: You're meant too look at these maps and think: Hey, I'd better not found a city there, as it will flip to Mongolia when they spawn.

15. Aleenik

Aleenik Deity

it has bad visual the maps do:)..but anyways I was under the assumption that they where maps that showed you the exact tile that would be good to settle on:)

16. Cethegus

Cethegus King

The biggest turn-off in creating a historical empire must be governing some areas that are hardly useable. For example the western half of the PRC, the Gobi desert and Tibet, are of little immediate use. There's nearly no food nearby and what surrounds Lhasa is mostly plain hills and at most one banana and sheep resource.

What's worse is that the historical nationalistic pride in governing as large an area as possible doesn't show in RFC. At worst, expanding to Tibet, the Caribbean, Persian lands or Africa might only hurt your empire. I can honestly say that I've had little interest in grabbing as much colonies as possible when playing as the colonial empires when most of the available land is barren or some other way has little potential. For example, when playing as the Brits, not counting in South-Africa I see the British Africa mostly a burden to the Empire, not a welcome addition.

I've wanted to create historical empires but sometimes it's just not worth it. Southern Chile in the case of Spain doesn't really contribute at all to the well-being of the empire and neither does Saharan France. Historical gameplay is nice sometimes but it's less rewarding than running an independent, productive empire. As can be seen from the Macedonian empires posted here, historical expansion sometimes dooms the empire into a bitter end. The empire's stability is exposed to a huge risk, as is its research rate. Even though I've never seen my own empire re-spawn, I'd rather not risk my nation's well-being with over-expansion with such little rewards.

17. Lokolus

Lokolus Retired...

That screenhot is fake, you can't build a city in that desert...

18. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

I agree, Turfan and Karamay can be built, but Ningbo doesn't have access to water so can't really be built in RFC. (Worldbuilder anyone?)

19. apenpaap

Yes, I used world builder to place Ningbo, but I did build a settler and disbanded it...

20. jsweeney

jsweeney American

i was playing as Britian and what happened was truly luck. I was the first to make contact with Montezuma, so the force i got, instead of using it for the conquest of the aztecs, captured the former Mayan cities, which were independent. I then started building Musketmen there, and sent some from England to the cities, then Aztec Empire collasped, and I used my Musketmen to capture the Aztec Cities. Then, during a world congress, i asked for Pagan, and got it, then getting two redcoats in that city, as I just finished rifling. I then vassalized India, built more redcoats in pagan, then India collasped, and i sent one redcoat to Delhi and another one to bombay, captured them, and built more redcoats in those cities, soon capturing all of them. I then built Boston, New York, and Jamestown around 30 turns before USA comes along, just trying to make it easier for Canadian colonists to prosper for a short time until they get on there feet, as I built Toronto in 1710. I stayed out of Africa due to Carthaginians, and i vassalized France and Germany(which had vassalized rome). Then Russia declared war on rome, which then counted as war with Germany, and then me. I then negotiated China(which conquered mongolia) to fight against Russia, which they did. I captured St.Petersburg and Moscow and Russia traded me their city in Alaska. The war made China very unstable, and it soon collasped, so i conquered some of their cities as well. Persia wasn't happy with the expanded British Empire, so they declared war with me along with Arabia and Ottomans. I then conquered all of Persia, some of Ottoman and none of Arabia. There was then an Unstable middle east where Arabia and Ottomans, angry made at Egypt for letting me land troops in their cities and then our Iron for Oil trade, which Arabia and the Ottomans were made that they Traded with our worst enemy. The Ottomans and Arabs then declared war on Egypt, and when the Ottomans captured most of Egyptian cities and wanted better access to them, declared war on Arabia and conquered all of their land. then the ottomans collasped and i conquered all their cites east of Thebes, as Carthage captured every city west of thebes. So i almost had the British Empire except I lacked in Pacicfic and canada wasostly deserted Except for Toronto and Otawa