Whom do you think is the best boxer ever?

PreLynMax

Your Lord and Master
George Foreman.

George Foreman, before the heavily regulated matches you seen in modern boxing, has kept most his wits about him to this date. But at his prime (even after his prime in his 40's) he fought like a bonified tank.

And what are the characteristics of a tank? First off, a tank is very heavily armored, able to withstand heavy attacks. And Foreman took on one of the hardest hit punches, only to fall hard to Muhammad Ali. A tank is also able to dish out a lot of pain, and IMHO, Foreman was the hardest hit boxer ever.

He was also the only boxer to come off from retirement and became a world champion.

So what do you think? Who do you think was the best in the ring?

Whilst Ali is a cliched choice, I doubt we will see again in our lifetime a heavyweight REGAIN the world title 3 times. The determination and courage required to do this is phenomenal. And this is in an era where the belt meant something, not the pale imitation that it is now is of it's former glory.

I also like your selection of Foreman. Truly fearsome in his prime.

I'm going to go with Rubin "Hurricane" Carter for political reasons.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/02/26/rubin.hurricane.carter.book/index.html

(CNN) -- Rubin "Hurricane" Carter is too old to box these days. He doesn't even watch it and thinks it's "sort of barbaric."

His days as a pugilist left him when the fight to clear his name in a Paterson, New Jersey, triple murder overtook his quest for world championship belts.

"When I went to prison in 1966, that was it for me as far as prizefighting was concerned," said Carter, 73. "I was fighting for my life, not for a prize in the ring and not with boxing gloves and referees. I was fighting for my life in the absolute dungeon called Trenton State Prison."
Though he's still dogged by those who claim he's guilty, Carter was released from prison in 1985 by a federal judge who wrote, "A conviction which rests upon racial stereotypes, fears and prejudices violates rights too fundamental to permit deference to stand in the way of the relief sought."

"Hatred and bitterness and anger only consume the vessel that contains them. It doesn't hurt another soul," Carter said. "If I were to allow myself to continue to feel that anger and the bitterness of being a victim, I would have never survived prison itself. Prison can deal with anger; prison can deal with hatred because prison is about all those things. So I had to overcome those things."

Bob Dylan even wrote a song about the racially charged case, crooning "All of Rubin's cards were marked in advance. The trial was a pig-circus: he never had a chance."

Rubin finally "boxed" his way to freedom and liberty.

Mohammed Ali. Honorable Mention to Joe Louis, who showed the Nazis what Freedom feels like when it punches you in the face repeatedly.

As far as heavyweights, Mike Tyson, prior to the Douglas fight. He combined incredible punching precision with immense evasive and defensive skills, qualities that were often overlooked, even by his fans.

He was the greatest of all time, and he squandered it.

The shameless homer in me says The Brockton Blockbuster, Rocky Marciano. 49-0, 43KOs. Being the only untied, undefeated heavyweight champ has to buy a lot of clout in the discussion. His second fight vs Ezzard Charles is still one of the greatest bouts in history.

From what I have seen with my own eyes, Mike Tyson. I can't even watch boxing anymore because I grew up watching Tyson, so now everything just seems so dull. He had all the qualities PCH listed, and an aggressiveness that you just don't see in the ring.

Realistically though, as in all sports, there is no best ever. All you can hope for is to be the best of your day.

As far as heavyweights, Mike Tyson, prior to the Douglas fight. He combined incredible punching precision with immense evasive and defensive skills, qualities that were often overlooked, even by his fans.

He was the greatest of all time, and he squandered it.
Maybe. But who did he even fight early on? Lotta palookas in that list.

Michael Spinks is usually considered his crowning achievement (31 wins, 0 losses at their fight would later go on to be in the boxing hall of fame), and it's after him that things go downhill. A big reason he fought so many subpar boxers is he fought so much. He won 15 professional fights in his first year as a boxer.

But doesn't 'Down goes Frazier' still ring in your head?

Top Bottom