1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Buying the New Civilization?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by CaterpillarKing, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Buying Beyond Earth?

1. Yes

239 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. HeraldtheGreat

HeraldtheGreat King

Most likely, though I'll likely hold off a few months and buy during steam's winter sale, assuming I have the willpower.

2. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

How do we know that? At this point "reaching new audiences" is pretty much just a PR blurb pretty much every franchise iteration is throwing out. You can't really say "we don't care about new audiences" unless you are a niche developer.

Plus, they're lead developers together, but they're not the only people working on it. Firaxis has been good about this thing, XCOM's Jake Solomon was rather unknown before, too, and it worked out rather well, all in all.

3. Willem

Willem Deity

Why is there no "Maybe, if the game turns out to be fairly good" option? I'm certainly not going to commit to anything until i get a sense of whether it was well done or not. I skipped Civ 5 because I didn't like some of the things I was reading about it, and I might do the same with this game.

4. Boygor

Boygor Chieftain

Day one purchase :) I've been very happy with everything Firaxis that I've bought from CIV I to Brave New World.

5. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Incompetent was a brash word for him to choose, but given the context the developers are giving off a strong impression that they are reaching new audiences by essentially doing a civ V vanilla and streamlining (read: dumbing down) the game. Then they are praising a game (civ rev) a large amount of their core audience thinks is not a strong one in the franchise to put it conservatively.

Those are recipes to get some of your core audience feeling uneasy and to lose first day sales. Maybe this idea behind the game will get them more in the long run, but new audiences won't be the main people paying keen interest to the very first press releases on this game.

6. m_dorian

m_dorian Chieftain

Option missed: I need to have more info to decide.

7. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    Yes preordering ASAP. Firaxis is my favorite game dev studio! The "Tech Web" sounds very interesting!

8. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

There really needs to be a "maybe" option. But since there isn't, I went by the assumption that this meant "on day 1", and since I almost never buy games on day 1, and this isn't a slam-dunk after Civ5, I had to vote "no". It really depends on the additional details, how fun the demo is, and the reviews of people who didn't like Civ5 very much.

Oh my. That is discouraging. The trying to appeal to iOS strategy gamers is concerning, since that generally means casual gamers, but XCOM at least doesn't raise a red flag.

But one of the lead designers citing CivRev as his favorite game in the series? That's a major red flag.

I also saw in GameSpot's preview that 1 UPT will remain:

Which is also quite concerning, particularly as that's a concrete detail rather than an abstract one like one of the lead designers preferring CivRev. Granted, perhaps the orbital layer will make it more tolerable, but 1 UPT alone moved this front "might buy near release" to "definitely play the demo first" for me. Although at least in this version, you won't have the "archer firing across the English channel" immersion-breaking problem.

9. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

No thank, i dont want this spin-off Civ !

I would prefer a new expansion for Civ 5...
    Or new DLCs...

Alpha Centauri, disliked it, not fun...

Would prefer a new MOO 4 in the MOO 2 style...

Unless that Civ BE is connected to Civ5, matter of playing from 4000 BC to 2500 AD...

10. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

He praised, specifically, the asymmetric balancing of CivRev, though. So this might not be a negative! I think playing with asymmetric balancing (i.e. very different factions, similar to Starcraft) as concept are quite neat and a non-historic setting allows them to do so.

The XCOM bit is also interesting in conjunction with the iOS bit: There's an XCOM port on iOS out, so Firaxis really is raising the bar in terms of mobile gaming without dumbing down the game either.

This makes be hopeful that they do understand that "dumbing down" and "accessible" are not the same thing.

11. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

Isn't this like going to your favorite sports team's fan site and asking whether you like that team? ;)

12. The Swede

The Swede Viking

I guess the smart thing to do is to wait a month or so, but I know I will have it on day 1....

13. GreekAnalyzer

GreekAnalyzer Back from the Dead

Going to buy (probably) after I see some gameplay. If it looks good then I will, but otherwise no.
    EDIT: Basically what Quintillus said above.

14. cpm4001

cpm4001 Goggleman

After a few reviews roll in and I have a chance to play a demo or something, then I'll get it.

15. sendos

sendos Immortal

I am also interested in this new civ game. It's the combination of civ 5 and SMAC, but I do wish to see the reviews first. I mean, I had much interest in getting RTW2 before it came out, and then the reviews are rather mixed, with some saying it's rather glitchy. Would have been nice for OP to specify further on that poll, as you can see it's rather moot: of course we all want to buy it.

Also, to Firaxis if they're listening here: make sure the MP is better than civ 5 MP.

16. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

I said yes, though it depends on whether or not I have enough money at the time. Also whether or not my computer matches the specifications. It's nice to have insufficient funds sometimes :).

17. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

I'm not gonna buy it.

But buy it I will.

Because it is cocaine.

18. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

Omg to everyone saying I should have put in a "maybe" poll choice, I realize that but it is too late now :lol: and I meant early day one preorder whatever. Not within a year or two or three. :p

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

19. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

Hope it's on Steam. whether I wait for a sale depends on reviews. That being said, I am now bored of Civ5BNW and have been playing a lot of crusader Kings 2 (after a haitus, as they have expanded into india). As things are going though, I will likely get bored of that by August....

It might just depend on my level of desperation upon release. I have been waiting over a decade for this game after all....

20. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

You should have put in a twice option as well. ;) :p