1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Who's Buying the New Civilization?

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by CaterpillarKing, Apr 13, 2014.

?

Buying Beyond Earth?

1. Yes

239 vote(s)
    86.3%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    13.7%
  1. householder

householder Lord of the Fleas

Unless the reviews are negative, I will buy the game during the first week. I won't pre-order, having been burned when Civ IV didn't have enough copies on release. After a couple days, I had to cancel my order and buy it at GameStop. Later, I was seriously disappointed with the vanilla version of Civ V, and the reviews would have deterred me from buying it. I was burned again when Steam discounted BNW the day after it was released.

I would like to pre-order, as encouragement to Firaxis. But I would feel foolish at this point.

2. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

I personally adored the 1upt because it gave a sense of epic scale and also I just hated stacks because it ruined it all for me because I would either lose the entire the stack in one turn or not. With civ V I can use my front line units as walls to protect the back ones so they can flee :) I'm glad they're leaving it in BE

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

I probably won't buy it; it needs Steam, right?
    - :(

4. SamBC

SamBC Emperor

I don't know what he meant by assymetry, but to me it would mean more like Starcraft or WoW than Civ, if you see what I mean - different paths have radically different capabilities, but still balanced. Though given those two examples, we know how hard that is to do.

AIUI, CivRev has a unique element for every civ for every era, making them play quite differently, more differently than civs in IV or, to a lesser extent, V.

5. Fabio1701

Fabio1701 King

You don't have Steam? why not?

6. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

It junks up my comp.

7. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Lena Brenk and Anton Strenger had the same roles in BNW as in G&K, IIRC.

8. wazzap

wazzap Chieftain

How old your PC? I still use mine that bought at 2010 January. And no problem with Steam nor any other Steam game.

btw, not gonna buy immediately. I know there is a DLC crap. I mean, not crap but incomplete.

9. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Nope, just not interested. I think I will crawl into a hole and play CiV until CiVI comes out. :)

10. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

2007...October-ish...

11. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

What model is it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

12. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

Sony VAIO.

13. knight508

knight508 Chieftain

I can almost guarantee all the bloatware that comes with a Sony VAIO has much more of a significant impact on overall performance compared to running Steam. Go to add/remove programs and see if you can chop away at the useless stuff they load if you'd feel comfortable with that.

About SM:BE I think I'll keep a very close eye on all the bits and pieces they'll be releasing over the coming months. I got SMAC/X from GOG a couple years ago and it's my favorite Civ game but perhaps ties with Civ IV. I'm usually always late to the scene (i.e. picking up SMAC two years ago, Civ IV in a Steam developer bundle about four years ago) and the very, very few times I pre-ordered I got burned for doing so: Hellgate: London pretty much a total flop with servers shutting down within a year, Aliens vs. Predator (2010) no multiplayer on release and unbelievably buggy/crashy, AION well just churned out crap JRPG MMO WoW clone with an underwhelming and super gimmicky flying/wings feature that was less than stellar on actually using.

However I feel a bit optimistic about SM:BE and might just pre-order depending on if it seems very appealing. If it seems "okay" I'll wait for some let's plays and go from there. Ever since mastering SMAC though I always thought how awesome it would be to have a "part two".

14. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

Have you tried Civ V yet? Since the game is based on the Civ V engine try getting it with its expansions and seeing how you feel before pre-ordering CivBE.

15. Randall_Flagg

Randall_Flagg The Evil One

Way to soon to decide that. I am interested, but if it plays to much like Civ 5, there is no point just for the extra flavor.

16. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I definitely would try this out - if I had any time for gaming these days and equipment to run it on (my netbook barely runs CivIII). Maybe in 5 years when the kid's in school and a computer that will run it is dirt cheap.

17. arkguy

arkguy Warlord

Was excited about it when announced but the one unit one hex rule kept me away from Civ V and is a deal breaker here too so probably not buying it. After they way Civ V turned out I'm in no hurry to rush into another version of that. Civ VI looks pretty good at this piont and will probably be buying that one instead. Would be better if they had more units instead of less but the rest look fairly good at this stage.

18. KevinLancaster

KevinLancaster Prince

Wait for Angry Joe to review it.

19. Dysus

Dysus Chieftain

No way not until there are user reviews released and the game is out for a while. I don't trust Firaxis and have been rather disappointed with their dlc strategy to 'extend the profitability' of a game.

The game genuinely looks interesting and I will probably pick it up eventually when it is on special, but I'm not holding my breath.

20. Traejun

Traejun Warlord

Companies doing what they can to make money? Working as intended.

DLCs are great, continuing steams of income between expansions for many games. They extend/enhance the games (at least in theory). I don't tend to buy many DLCs because they are rather uninteresting to me (Civ DLCs for a couple more wonders and races? Meh). That's the beauty of a DLC, you don't need them to enjoy the game and, thus, are under no obligation to buy them.