1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why AI combat will never work in Civ 5

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by PanzerGeneralli, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Fistleaf

Fistleaf Chieftain

I agree with jtwood. If we need modders to produce a good AI, it is like paying the developers just to produce the interface and graphics. The money is just for buying an empty Civ5 shell with nice graphics. Furthermore, there is no obligation for modders to do any work since they are unpaid.

If the AI fix is too difficult, Firaxis should compromise and change the game to using 2 or 3 units per tile. You still manage to get rid of the SOD with this change.

2. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

You should post this on every forum that has anything to do with Civ 5.

The tactical AI can be better - that is for sure. It was obviously not as high a priority as it should've been.

I dislike the comparison, because it's not an excuse, but the combat AI in Civ IV wasn't truly competitive until BTS and even then it was at its best with the better AI mod.

What's completely irritating is that Firaxis ignores history and doesn't learn from their mistakes/failings and make more of an effort to get it right to begin with. They're a successful company who's made millions on civ and doing a half assed job at this point is lame.

3. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Completely agree. I'm only on my first game on a fairly low difficulty level, and already the logjams are irritating me. Even AI units wandering randomly through my territory with Open Borders block my Workers from improving tiles, for goodness' sake. That's just daft.

4. bigredjeff

bigredjeff Chieftain

5. Craftsman

Craftsman Chieftain

How nice to hear that I am not alone! :)

Now, back to Civ IV. :D

6. Atzar

Atzar Chieftain

As far as combat goes, in the end I'd settle for an increased interest in self-preservation. Too often the AI will simply sit an archer/warrior in a desert right in front of you and get it swatted with little cost to the human player.

If you have a badly-injured unit, try to move it away to heal if at all possible - definitely do NOT run your 2 HP Warrior across a river to attack my full health spearman on a hill. Attack my Warrior with your Archer rather than leaving him idle for no apparent reason. When possible, attack from rough terrain to minimize damage from a counter-attack.

If they accomplished just this, I think combat AI would be adequate at the very least. I don't really expect them to bait me with traps or anything a human player might try, but I should feel like I'm doing more than playing chess with a sheep.