1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Am I Getting Lots of Random Magazines?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Fifty, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Fifty

Fifty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put your collective brain to this one, please:

So for the past three months, ever since moving into my new appt, I've been getting magazines in the mail that I never subscribed for. They aren't even things I'm remotely interested in: one is Working Mother magazine, one is a home design magazine, and the other is an architecture magazine. These aren't just ad-books disguised as magazines, either. They are real, major magazines, and they are addressed to me.

So why the poop am I getting them? The best theory I've come up with thus far is that the previous tenants in this place didn't change the address on their magazine subscriptions, and somehow when I filed a change of address form with the Post Office (to get mail from my old appt forwarded to this new one) the magazine people figured it out and started sending the magazines to me. Still, that seems weird.

Anywho, does anybody know anything about this? It's really weird.

2. mayakovsky

mayakovsky Cosmic Slop

I don't know, but it's happening to me as well. I get Rolling Stone, Entertainment Weekly and ESPN Magazine. I never signed up for them and they've been coming for a good 6 months now. Strange...

3. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

The part that's actually weird is that they're addressed to you. If they weren't addressed to you, it would be easy to say they're for the previous tenants. My only logical explanation is that one of your friends has done this as a joke or as a gift.

4. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

If you don't want 'em, send em to me.

5. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

My mom had her cheque book stolen years ago. The woman who stole it subscribed her to a bunch of magazines and got a commission for it.

My favourite of the magazines we received was 'Black Enterprise'

6. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Free magazines?!?! I demand The Economist!

7. Gabryel Karolin

Gabryel Karolin Gammelgädda

Maybe the magazine companies are sending you some free issues hoping you will like some of them and subscribe. Has happend to me too sometimes.

Seems they are not very well profiled to you, though. so that speaks against my theory.

8. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Don't worry, Fifty. the Free Market should solve all your Free Magazines issues.

9. Phlegmak

Phlegmak Deity

Skeptic is the greatest magazine ever written.

10. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

USPS change of address files are prime candidates for direct mail, because the addresses are correct. An overlay of your name with demographic info provides mailers with what you might be interested in.

11. Murky

Murky Deity

12. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

As a joke? Since it's not very funny, we can rule that out, unless of course one of the magazines Fifty's receiving is Postmodern Feminist Weekly.

13. CartesianFart

CartesianFart Deity

I do not have any subscription to any magazine; but I do recommend "Barely Legal." Quite a page-turner.:lol:

14. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

Because those magazines suck and it is the only way they can get people to read it, no one would pay to get those. There are a lot of them here in Sweden.