1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why am I starving when producing a settler?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Civ Spies&Lies, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Civ Spies&Lies

Civ Spies&Lies Chieftain

Apologies if I misunderstanding a mechanic.

Spoiler screen :
    20191017002538_1.jpg

Building a settler for a number of turns, no issues.

When it finishes, I immediately starve off one pop.

As shown in screenshot, I'm at even food to consumption but even when I rearranged to 14 food pop starves down to 3, so no more settlers.

Why am I not okay? 10 food to 10 eaten is stagnation not starvation right?
    And doesn't my 4.1 in the bucket stave off shortfalls until it runs out?

Sorry if it's on me but I'm trying to relearn Civ through the CBP lens.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  2. Noob Fanboy

Noob Fanboy Warlord

It's a new mechanic, based on Civ 6. Every time you produce a settler you consume one population, and you need at least 4 population to build a settler.

It's a mechanic implemented to limit the early settler spam of some players.

Civ Spies&Lies likes this.
  3. Civ Spies&Lies

Civ Spies&Lies Chieftain

Ok, thanks for the heads-up. I jumped from old stable to latest beta and missed the change.

4. DakaSha

DakaSha Chieftain

:shifty:

5. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Hehe yeah I think that mechanic has been in Civ 1, 2, and 3. Only 4 and 5 haven't had it.

6. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

Don't you think that most VP is, in a sense, civ V downgraded to whatever worked best before, but polished? Plus the amazing AI.

What could be truly original mechanics? The needs system, the skirmisher line, the uniqueness of the leaders and maybe the adjacency bonuses. Maybe the variety of the promotions and how they unfold. I have my doubts about other mechanics. Was there ever a supply limit, a warmonger penalty, monopoly bonuses or corporations?

7. HeathcliffWarriors

HeathcliffWarriors Prince

Unit supply is a base Civ V thing, it's just so high in the base game that it's never really an issue.

8. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

Nothing combat-wise can meaningfully be compared to earlier series because of 1UPT and hexes. The rest is either Civ 4.5 or Civ 5.5

G

9. vyyt

vyyt Emperor

Or more like 34.5, I suspect you guys have set the bar so high that it will take a couple of versions for the regular Civ series to reach the level of fun we have with VP.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I loved even the original Civ5, but I doubt the devs will have enough time and budget to polish the regular game to the VP level and casual players probably do not necessarily ask for stuff like super clever AI

Revolutionist_8 likes this.
  10. Noob Fanboy

Noob Fanboy Warlord

Some corporations are too stupid to think beyond Inmediate Economical Benefits. Firaxis is one, i don't think they're going to make a specialized AI development team ever

11. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Warlord

i remember playing civ 3 and it'd lower your pop building a settler.

also in civ 3 when you conscripted you lost 1 pop too.

i wish we had that in civ 5. you know when you choose authority and hit multiples of 10 you get a conscript, but your pop doesn't go down by one. it should really.

12. ridjack

ridjack Prince

Why on Earth would I ever take Authority at that point? One free unit can never be worth sacrificing a pop.

vyyt likes this.
  13. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Warlord

because it's more realistic than a conscript just poofing up from thin air. someone has to, actually be that conscript

14. displayer

displayer Chieftain

In that case, shouldn't you lose a pop every time you build a military unit?

nmb93 likes this.