1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are all the conservatives saying "regressive"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

I noticed a trend, I thought it was maybe a CFC in-joke. Then I checked Google trends and it's rocketing off the charts. What's the deal?

All hail the hive queen? :assimilate:

2. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

It's the opposite of progressive, and that became a slur word somewhat recently. It's intended to bite. It's also being misused. Leftists certainly have some regressive tendencies, and it would be useful pointing them out, but it will only be useful if the word doesn't become meaningless.

3. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

I'm no conservative and don't use it, but it has a use: It accuses progressives of abandoning their pronciples and perversely holding beliefs and advocating actions that would move society backwards. Like treating some people better and some people worse because of their sex, race, or religion, or tolerating intolerance. Which, to be fair, are all things that many "progressives" do.

4. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Don't know how the conservatives use it, but the liberal parts of the left use it to describe the more extreme parts of the authoritarian/progressive part of the left that more and more bends towards regressive ideas that are often in line with what the extreme right would suggest, like racial segregation, unequal treatment between genders/races, etc. (see horseshoe theory) in the name of exaggerated versions of political correctness and social justice.

Dave Rubin discusses that topic with a lot of his guests from different parts of the political spectrum.

5. danjuno

danjuno Emperor

Before Conservatives start using the word to attack Progressives, I recall some Progressives were using it to contrast conservatives from themselves.

6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Because much of the rank-and-file of the Republican party are sheep, who get their daily talking points from their authoritarian overlords and begin endlessly repeating it, much like "four legs good; two legs better." :rolleyes:

7. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

Hey, it's three whole syllables. Let us give thanks.
    Baaahhhh....

8. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

This one. I've noticed it being used mostly by liberals toward the left, not by conservatives.

9. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The buzzwords and strawmen employed in this post are certainly in line with using the regressive buzzword.

It's just like political correctness, it doesn't really mean anything.

10. luiz

luiz Trendy Revolutionary

I think what you mean is that it doesn't mean anything when used against The Good Guys (the left), but it's very adequate when used against The Bad Guys (anyone to the right of Chairman Mao).

11. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

Makes a change from "lunatic fringe", I guess.

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

They took the word "progressive", took out the positive word "pro", and then brilliantly incorporated the result into something which resembles the word "regressive", which is negative.

It's a stroke of genius if you ask me, probably unmatched in literary English history since the time of Shakespeare.

13. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

The strawman is strong in this one.

14. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Naw, since George Orwell.

15. gay_Aleks

gay_Aleks communism will win.

I'm sorry Newspeak is banned on these grounds. After all, we're living in a brave new world, no?

16. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

Nice try, but only people on the right are using that word.

Come again when it's about something like social justice, where at least some genuine contention about the meaning of the term is going on.

17. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

I'm been using "regressive" to accurately describe the true nature of many "conservative" viewpoints for a long time.

18. luiz

There you go, a leftist using the word regressive to criticize right-wingers. That was fast :lol:

While it is indeed a buzzword, just like progressive, I think we all understand what it means. And the segment of the modern left that is identitarian, stupid and authoritarian is indeed regressive. Self proclaimed progressives are increasingly regressive, and many on the left have noted that.

19. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

I was referring to political correctness.

And I also don't think progressive and regressive are equivalent terms. I believe that terms used self-descriptively should be given more credibility than terms that are used to discredit your opposition.

20. luiz

Well, I was talking of regressive.

The thing is, this term was very much coined, as political terminology, by people on the left to criticize people on the authoritarian right. Reactionaries. But when people on the left start embracing ideas very related those labeled as regressive in the past, why not switch the accusation around?