Why are Broadcast Centers unlocked in Tech Tree?

salvatorethesecond

Chieftain
I think it goes a long way in explaining why it is so difficult to get more culture than science. Could you imagine if Research Labs were unlocked in the Civics Tree? It would make science accumulation way harder.

Wouldn't it be weirder to have it in the civics tree? Broadcast centers specifically take the radio technology to work. They don't broadcast signals out of thin air, well in a way they do. :)

I find it even weirder that the Film Studios is unlocked in the Technology Tree, when it should probably be Mass Media in the Civics Tree.

I find it even weirder that the Film Studios is unlocked in the Technology Tree, when it should probably be Mass Media in the Civics Tree.
I think certain things is just plain balancing.

But.. now that you mention it.. yeah, it is bit weird. I mean. it make sense logically but it is I believe one of very few districts whose building is unlocked by both Civic and Tech, ironically, the other being Holy Site being unlocked by Astrology and Theology.

Well musuems don't need as much technological development than radio transmissions. In game, the top of the tech tree is culture related.

The problem with Broadcast towers is not because of their spot in the tech tree, but rather because they cost too much. The difficultry with getting culture has more to do with theater square adjacency being reliant on wonders as well as the poor value of culture from the buildings themselves.

The first films were made at the end of the 19th century and shown in cinema's, the television didn't became common place till after the second world war.

The problem with Broadcast towers is not because of their spot in the tech tree, but rather because they cost too much. The difficultry with getting culture has more to do with theater square adjacency being reliant on wonders as well as the poor value of culture from the buildings themselves.

That empty Theatre Squares and Theatre Square buildings generate little culture until they're filled with great works is good design to my mind. Where it breaks down is that it's those same buildings that generate the great people points that then fill the buildngs. That's very linear, thus less interesting than it could be. But still better than the science system.

The first films were made at the end of the 19th century and shown in cinema's, the television didn't became common place till after the second world war.
That's the only Civic where it would make sense though for you to unlock, instead of Radio in the Tech tree. Besides it's icon is literally a film reel on top of newspapers.

Good question. However there is a good reason that Broadcast towers are in the Civics tree.

News, Movies, and Music are major culture contributors and drivers. Going as far as Propaganda. State news and brainwashing.

Getting a message out is what elections are made of and won. Not to mention brainwashing in some governments. Some would say all at least to a certain extent. Influencing the mind and decisions of others.

Public Service Announcements

It's good to a certain extent that Broadcast Towers are in the tech tree, it means you can't only focus on Culture to win a game. I like how a tier 3 government is important when going for a Scientific victory, but you need to advance much into the Civic tree to get one.

If you focus only on Science, you won't have a tier 3 government for a long while after you need it.

It's good to a certain extent that Broadcast Towers are in the tech tree, it means you can't only focus on Culture to win a game. I like how a tier 3 government is important when going for a Scientific victory, but you need to advance much into the Civic tree to get one.

If you focus only on Science, you won't have a tier 3 government for a long while after you need it.

I think it’s more nuanced than that. You can just focus on culture, but it’s risk because you could just end up in a bottle neck. Research culture faster enough, and you might win before ever needing broadcast centres, or you might unlock very powerful late game policies which means researching broadcast towers becomes trivial. But focus on culture and achieve neither of those, and you’ll suddenly hit a bottle neck because your science is lagging.

I think Civ VI does a lot of this stuff well - it doesn’t nerf certain strategies, but it does give them some interesting risk / reward. It’s just sometimes let down by the AI which doesn’t usually make you pay for bad decisions.

Top Bottom