Why are luxuries always only 5g no matter when?

glaciermi

Chieftain
5g no matter what the era, no inflation.

Other civs will never pay more, and their luxury's are always 8g no more, no less.

I play on Marathon.

Thanks!

It's always 6g for me. o.O I play on Standard time.

Late game is broken. It is what it is. Can't fathom why there is such a disparity in the economic game as the game progresses.

5g no matter what the era, no inflation.

Other civs will never pay more, and their luxury's are always 8g no more, no less.

I play on Marathon.

Thanks!

Just like in Vanilla and BNW, AI's value their GPT at more than your GPT.

Assuming you are on good relations with them, your 1 GPT is worth 30 of their gold on normal (x3 for 90 on marathon). This is different than Vanilla and BNW, which was 22 gold, or 45 gold for 2 GPT.

Luxuries are worth 240 gold on standard (720 on marathon), so it works out to be 8 GPT for both game lengths (the x3 modifier cancels out).

Their 1 GPT is worth 42 of your gold on standard (x3 for 126 on marathon). This is different than Vanilla/G&K, which was 31 of your gold. 5 GPT is thus 210 (of 630) gold, which is below their valuation of 240/720. If you are Friends with them, you can get the change in lump sum gold but that is not possible if you do not have a DoF. 6 GPT would be worth 252 / 756, which is more than they value the luxury. That is why they won't accept them.

Note that on STANDARD speed, they accept a little bit of rounding. In G&K, if you want to do a research agreement and are one era ahead, you needed to provide exactly 100 gold (so Open Borders + 1 strategic resource + 5 gold). But I have found that in BNW, I can sometimes get away without providing the 5 gold in change, so just Open Borders + 1 strategic. Most notably, you also get this with Accept Embassy and Open Borders. The face value of these are 25 and 50 GP, but they will accept 1 GPT (from either side).

One clever trick you can do: If you have a DoF, do NOT accept an Open Borders for Open Borders trade for them. Instead, you should sell them your Open Borders for 50 lump sum gold. And then buy their Open Borders for 1 GPT. Since they value their 1 GPT at 42 gold, you make a tiny profit off of this! However this does not work for Marathon because the Embassy and Open Borders cost do not scale.

The point of the poster is that late game one lux should be worth a lot more than early game because your income is now 400 gold a turn, not 4 like it was in 2500BC

Well the benefit of happiness don't change much (more pop)
Imo, this mechanism is completely broken, because real value of a single luxury resource can vary greatly while in civ5 it's always fixed (note: bad diplomatic relations). Consider 3 theoretical situations:

1) You are growing your 2nd city and your happiness is running low. Some ivory from your neighbor will allow you to get 2-3 more pop before you will be able to develop your newly claimed land.
2) You've just finished the trade policy branch and you have a hefty amount of happiness. You could use +6 from your neighbors ivory, though.
3) Your tall empire is developing quite nicely in modern era, however it could grow a little bit faster, if your neighbor was willing to trade you his ivory, the only luxury you don't have and therefore the one needed for celebrations in all of your cities.

5gpt is ok in situation 1) but if you were the owner of ivory in situation 2), you would likely want to get more. In situation 3) you would be willing to pay much more than 5gpt.

I could chalk up many more situations in which a single bonus resource could be a life saver, not to mention quests from city states.

Those aren't era issues. It would be good if the AI based the 'fair price' on the buyer's happiness.

So if you offer a luxury to an AI at 40+ happiness they only give you 2gpt
But if you are at 16 unhappiness, the AI will charge you 10-15 gpt for a luxury.

I've seen some variation from 5GPT, and always based on the relationship with who I'm trading with. The BASE always seems to be 5GPT so yeah there's no inflation, but I've gotten 7GPT (and maybe even 8 if I'm not mistaken).

Either way, it's better than in Civ IV or prior where if the AI only had one of something they wouldn't trade it for a stack of cities. At least now an AI with good relations will sometimes trade their single available resource thought it may go for about 15 GPT. I've gotten a single for 15-25 GPT (it seems if I get to 25 and they say no then pretty much anything past that is a no anyway).

I've seen the maximum GPT they'll give me for a lux go as low as 2 GPT!

As KrikkitTwo says, 8gpt (8x30 for 240 gold total) is the standard for good relations. Then, it starts to drop as relations drop.

I never go with below 4gpt, especially now that global happiness counts on higher difficulty levels (Emperor and above). Hint: Tourism and Ideologies. In fact, I'm finally seeing unhappy AI Civs, even before Ideology, which I never did in G&K. Didn't try Immortal yet though.

Funny how everybody says something different, nobody's correct and everybody's 100% convinced of their answer. Gotta love these forums sometimes.

Ok, Tachii was right at least. You never get more than 6 gpt for selling a luxury to an AI, even with a DOF. Of course, with a DOF you can just sell stuff for 240 gold instead.

New lux deals with DOF are (standard):
240 gold, 0gpt
198 gold, 1 gpt
156 gold, 2gpt
114 gold, 3gpt
72 gold, 4 gpt
30 gold, 5 gpt
0 gold, 6 gpt

Ha, so the gpt p/ luxury changed in BNW? In G&K I could swear that you could do the math straight. Like 240 gold (the top you can get) divided by the number of turns (30 in Standard). That would be 8gpt x 30 = 240 tops. Now it's 6gpt tops? Hum, ok.

I've gotten 8 gpt (large/epic/PRINCE). Perhaps difficulty level has a bearing on it.

I have experienced in immortal/deity is mostly 6gpt and sometimes 5 BUT if you are freinds you can lump sum for 240 gold but the weird thing is that they won't do 8gpt.

Top Bottom