Why are my cities revolting??????

northernscribe

Chieftain
I've been playing BNW for quite some time now and I've never quite understood how ideologies work in terms of happiness. I thought that if I had the same ideology as the civ with the highest tourism, I'd be fine. This is the case in my current game, but my happiness went from 7 to -29 in one turn, all because India, a civ with less tourism than me, picked a different ideology. I'm not so sharp with taking screen shots, so I'll just lay it out. Here are the civs and their relative toursim, ideologies and contentness.

Inca (me). 16 tourism, autocracy, -29
Brazil, 83 tourism, autocracy, 0
Zulu, 12 tourism, autocracy, -8
Germany, 9 tourism, order, -4
India 10 tourism, freedom (just chose this ideology, which seemed to trigger my revolt), -2
Celts, 26, freedom, -1
netherlands, 50, order, 0.
arabia, 39, freedom, 0

Now, when my civ revolted, my recently captured city of Berlin converted to arabia.
Why am I not safe since the civ with the highest tourism, brazil, shares my ideology?
Why is zulu, who has a little less tourism than I, have only -8 discontent, when I have -29, and we have the same ideology?

I swear this is so frustrating, I'm seriously considering breaking my self imposed mod prohibition and find a mod that just does away with ideologies, if there is such a thing.

I know I can probably avoid this by building more culture buildings and filling them with great works, but I would feel better if I understood how this contentedness mechanic works, so I can act accordingly. Right now, I prefer to use gw for treatises, and ga for golden ages. I had three great writers saved up. I made them all make great works, increasing my tourism from 16 to 22 and absolutely nothing changed.

If it matters, I'm playing pangea, standards, immortal.
Any feedback is appreciated.

Open your borders to Brazil, and beg him to send a diplomat into your capital and hope that brazil outinfluences india's tourism.

Because Brazil should be making your people want autocracy.

Meanwhile, shut your borders to India. Or invade India and steal his great works.

Well, to be honest I was just about to invade Brazil..I suppose I could hold off. Why is India the problem....oh wait. India is the only civ I have a trade route with. Is THAT why? should I get a bunch of trade routes with brazil and zulu so my citizens like autocracy better?

Highlight over the text about ideological discontent and it will list all sources.

Select sources of happiness within your ideology. Build the cheaper happiness buildings.

And in your next game build the guilds and run them.

They're sure ugly, but revolting? That might be a bit harsh. ;p

Well, to be honest I was just about to invade Brazil..I suppose I could hold off. Why is India the problem....oh wait. India is the only civ I have a trade route with. Is THAT why? should I get a bunch of trade routes with brazil and zulu so my citizens like autocracy better?

Trade routes, no.

But Open borders can influence it.

Open border boost tourism by 34% if i remember correctly.

Trade routes, no.

But Open borders can influence it.

Open border boost tourism by 34% if i remember correctly.

No, it's 25% (40% with aestethics).

I think northern's ideological pressure is something like this:
- 2 autocracy (brazil)
- 1 Order (netherlands)
- 3 Freedom (most influence coming from Arabia)

Also, what is your culture generation? If it is near the tourism numbers you've highlighted, then there is your problem.

Another thing, what about shared religion?

I'm getting about 84 culture per turn. NOt sure how much everyone else is getting. Well, I invaded India, which stopped all trade routes, got open borders with brazil and then I was basking in happiness (plus 8, but compared to -22 I'm not complaining). I could pop some gp but I'd prefer to pop GE's instead. I think I'm just not going to do trade routes with civs who may not choose my ideology anymore. As soon as I get an ideology, I get all the happiness tenets first, anticipating dissenters.
My big buddy brazil has now proposed autocracy as world ID. I then voted for him to host the next WC and he won it. Hoping that will help a little. I guess I'm familiar with how tourism influence works offenseively. but I don't play many culture games. I've also never had to think much about how to defend against influence. I'm taking from this that open borders with similar ideologies is good, trade routes with opposite ideologies is bad. Just trying to keep it simple so I can get my bombers going again!

I'm getting about 84 culture per turn. NOt sure how much everyone else is getting. Well, I invaded India, which stopped all trade routes, got open borders with brazil and then I was basking in happiness (plus 8, but compared to -22 I'm not complaining). I could pop some gp but I'd prefer to pop GE's instead. I think I'm just not going to do trade routes with civs who may not choose my ideology anymore. As soon as I get an ideology, I get all the happiness tenets first, anticipating dissenters.
My big buddy brazil has now proposed autocracy as world ID. I then voted for him to host the next WC and he won it. Hoping that will help a little. I guess I'm familiar with how tourism influence works offenseively. but I don't play many culture games. I've also never had to think much about how to defend against influence. I'm taking from this that open borders with similar ideologies is good, trade routes with opposite ideologies is bad. Just trying to keep it simple so I can get my bombers going again!

You're starting to get it.

BNW of CIv5 series is only series where Open borders is a dangerous thing to open up if you're careless :D I actually keep my borders shut for the most of the game until industrial era then I start to be more flexible with my borders unless I manage to find a friend or two, and they're super good friends then i will open my borders to them.

Top Bottom