1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Why are people saying that tier 3 buildings are a waste of production?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Greasy Dave, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Casualty of war

Casualty of war Warlord

Tier 3 buildings are just fine, to get Eurekas and Inspirations. Otherwise they are generally a bad return on investment, producing less benefit than what you put into constructing them and what you could have gotten if you had put that production elsewhere.

Some opinions have to be taken in context of the level you play at. At Emperor, if you don't win by Turn 300 the AI probably will. Immortal, Turn 280. Deity, Turn 250. These are old, pre-Gathering Storm estimated numbers but the point stands; you are racing for victory. The higher the level you play at, the less tolerance for pleasant diversion while still trying to win.

Hey, I love my Wonders. Which is one of the reasons why my wins are in the Turn 220-260 range. If I knuckle down I can get sub-Turn 200 wins on Deity but it's an accomplishment without satisfaction, not what I want in a game I play for entertainment. YMMV.

2. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Tier 3 are always going to struggle so long as the game is over so fast and the buildings themselves just do the same as the t1 and t2 buildings which come earlier (ie flat yields).

FXS tried to make Tier 3s more spicy by having late game cards buff them (eg Third Alternative), but the bonuses are very weak and they’re aren’t enough cards.

Fixing T3s is not hard. FXS need to just slow the game down (inc. higher research costs, and have chopping yields capped around Industrial Era), boost the flat yields of powered Tier 3s a bit, and then have Tier 3s do something more than just flat yields (eg have more policy cards that buff them, and make those cards stronger; or give them some other benefit as others have suggested).

I’m looking forward to the next couple of patches...

Equilin likes this.