Why are people so obsessed with guns?

civver_764

Deity
I mean I honestly don't care about gun rights at all, whether you can own one or not I don't really care. I do support regulation for obvious reasons, but I would never make owning one illegal.

It does baffle me, however, that so many people(Americans mostly) are so obsessed with their gun rights and the second amendment(going to have to point out VRWC here with his avatar as the thing that prompted this thread, sorry). Why? What's so important about being able to have a gun? Explain the whole gun culture hype to me.

The power to kill a man with little to no effort and/or training is an intoxicating feeling that allows for a man to think that he posses some measure of independence from the outside world and government.

I mean I honestly don't care about gun rights at all, whether you can own one or not I don't really care. I do support regulation for obvious reasons, but I would never make owning one illegal.

It does baffle me, however, that so many people(Americans mostly) are so obsessed with their gun rights and the second amendment(going to have to point out VRWC here with his avatar as the thing that prompted this thread, sorry). Why? What's so important about being able to have a gun? Explain the whole gun culture hype to me.

Because if we don't push back, the ones that want to curtail our gun rights will eventually get them banned. So we make noise and I get to keep my gun locked away in my closet where it's been for months and months and months.

Because if we don't push back, the ones that want to curtail our gun rights will eventually get them banned. So we make noise and I get to keep my gun locked away in my closet where it's been for months and months and months.
But why do you value having that gun so much? Why would it bother you if owning it was banned completely?

Because Colt revolvers were the great equalizer.

Guns won us our freedom from the tyrannical King George, and if necessary they'll win us our freedom from a potentially tyrannical Washington, D.C. The only conceivable reason for the government to ban guns is as prelude to stripping us of our fundamental rights, which they know they would never dare do as long as we have an armed citizenry.

Are guns necessary? If no one has guns, then you don't have anything to defend yourself from that you can't deal with by using your fists.

Well guns are fun to shoot and collect and they are an important tool for self-defense.

Believe it or not the constitution, what it says and how it's interpreted is a big deal to a lot of Americans.

Guns won us our freedom from the tyrannical King George, and if necessary they'll win us our freedom from a potentially tyrannical Washington, D.C. The only conceivable reason for the government to ban guns is as prelude to stripping us of our fundamental rights, which they know they would never dare do as long as we have an armed citizenry.
That was over 200 years ago. And no, that is not the only conceivable reason. Believe it or not guns are often used to harm or kill innocents. And I already know you're say back, "Well duh, that's why you need them, for self-defense." And then I would say "If only a select few people who had access to the black market had guns, the crime rate would certainly go down a lot, right? And it's not like having a gun guarantees you'll have it on you when attacked."

Plus if you really had enough people to start a revolution, I think you could seize guns illegally rather easily.

Why have to deal with seizing them instead of just keeping it legal to have them to begin with??

Guns won us our freedom from the tyrannical King George,

Historical revisionism. A more accurate description would be that guns won the American populace the switch from the tyrannical rule of the British aristocracy (which was, ironically, not "tyrannical" like other European states were due to a constitutional, rather than absolutist, tradition) to the tyrannical rule of the American aristocracy.

and if necessary they'll win us our freedom from a potentially tyrannical Washington, D.C.

Completely unrealistic unless the central government is a puppet regime installed by foreign invaders, thus inspiring a significant portion of the populace to take up a guerrilla campaign which would necessarily have substantial foreign backing in order to succeed anyway. "Home-grown" authoritarianism would be immensely popular; anything more than a saboteur underground resistance movement is inconsistent with an authoritarian regime even attaining power in the first place.

Less important issues are the near-future possibility of replacing human soldiers with robotic drones (which, with extreme mechanization of industry, could be mass produced with ease), and the mildly paranoid tendencies people frequently display when advancing such arguments.

The only conceivable reason for the government to ban guns is as prelude to stripping us of our fundamental rights, which they know they would never dare do as long as we have an armed citizenry.

Or because it is believed that decreasing availability of weaponry will decrease levels of violence (which is consistent with the psychological literature). And then, again, a mildly paranoid fringe armed with pistols and probably already in pro-government fascist paramilitaries spending their time beating up/abducting dissidents anyway will not effect the policies of an actual authoritarian regime in any way.

Believe it or not the constitution, what it says and how it's interpreted is a big deal to a lot of Americans.

Which is ironic, considering the problem many individuals, including liberal philosophers amongst the "founding father" crowd, saw from the tyranny of the past. For the present generation to fanatically devote itself to the traditions of past generations, basing its identity and attitudes around them, destroys its own sovereign character and invariably leads to undesirable stagnation.

Deferring to an old sacred document for moral guidance is illogical regardless. Was slavery good when the Constitution protected the institution? This is the only consistent conclusion with a "support everything in the Constitution because it's in the Constitution" attitude.

Or because it is believed that decreasing availability of weaponry will decrease levels of violence (which is consistent with the psychological literature).
Maybe in those urban areas I avoid like the plague. In rural areas like where I live, plenty of people own guns and we don't suffer from a high capital crimes rate.

Top Bottom