1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are people so obsessed with guns?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civver_764, May 14, 2010.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

[wiki="Mars bar"]No[/wiki], but we're going too OT.

Interesting. But, then, Switzerland has been invaded time and again, and I can't remember when it was that the Swiss have invaded any other country. But the US have. They still do to this very day. their use of weaponry is offensive and the Swiss is defensive. You can't claim that you're 'defending your country' while shipping out troops to remote countries rich in natural resources and weak in military power.

2. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

What the hell does that have to do with anything? I'm just killing the idea that people are too stupid to be able to handle weapons and the weapons training is useless. America would be a lot safer if everyone knew how to handle assault rifles. Seriously. You gotta some kinda extra stupid to rob from a house where you know its occupants are well versed in handling semi-automatic weapons.

3. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

We'll bring cheeseburgers and democratic gubbmint to any nation we want!

4. elgarrick

elgarrick Chieftain

Though I'm a libertarian (or so I claim) I was never really into guns or 'got it'. I think the symbolism behind them, as well as a lack of other hobbies, mixed in with a dash of paranoia and daydreaming gives some people wood. Regardless I don't think we should take them away from people, but think about it: if we had a working society what would we need guns for?

5. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

Killing delicious animals.

6. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

If such a society worked enough to completely eliminate violent crime and the need for self-defense then why would that society care if anyone owned a gun? Ideally they'd just be inanimate objects just like anything else. You might as well ask why would we would need cars or drink machines in a working society.

7. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

White, yes. Affluent, not really. I'm not poor, but I'm hardly rich.

And that statement which everyone keeps debating about the accuracy of was basically taken from the gist of this cracked article, I didn't come up with it. :p

8. elgarrick

elgarrick Chieftain

Touche. Point being, that guns are there to solve the problem of a lack of a sufficient civilian crime prevention system.

9. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

I'm not necessarily what you would call a "gun person", but I do completely enjoy them and own several. My only real use for guns is for hobby shooting at the range, which if you haven't done it, then you probably won't ever understand that aspect of enjoying a relatively free gun ownership law system. I never keep ammo at the house, I don't generally see a need for it (of course home defense would be nice), I only buy ammo for when I go to the range, and I use up all said ammo or give whats left to a friend that I go shooting with.

You have to face the fact that guns are a major major part of history and war, as are swords, spears, shields, armor, and other aspects of war. Some people like to collect military memorabilia of the past like WWII antiques. Some people (like myself), like to make a hobby of today's guns and weaponry, taking them out to the range to shoot targets or coke cans or what not.

The idea that a society free of "guns" is going to be a safe one from murder, mass murder, accidental deaths, or homicidal rampage is completely 100% flawed. There are so many other simple ways for a crazy person to kill multiple people in one go. Take a look at recent incidents in China where people use their own vehicles to plow into masses of people or even masses of school children. One I remember involved a man plowing into a group of people then getting out with a Katana and killing/injuring/maiming more. Then there are the homemade explosives one can easily make with store bought materials.

I don't know about you all, but if I was in a crowded mall and there was a person there wanting to do me harm, I'd rather him have a handgun taking pot shots at people, rather than him have a backpack full of highly lethal pipebombs he is tossing around.

And as others have no doubt mentioned (I only cared to read the first 3 pages), the government taking away a citizens guns can most definitely lead the government taking away other rights. It would be quite simple to just point back to the gun-ban as a viable excuse to take the next thing away.

I don't fear these things so much, but I fully like to do whatever the hell I want to do within my own morals and the law. And currently the law allows firearm ownership which is something I enjoy and plan to do for many years to come. If you don't care about gun ownership and have no interest in such, then leave those of us that do alone and go whine about something else. I have no interest in playing WoW, but I'm not about to go on a crusade to get the game banned from the U.S. because it "can lead to" socially inept and obese children.

One last thing, there are an amazing amount of firearms in the U.S., and an amazing amount of unregistered firearms in the U.S. If they were to be banned, you can bet there will still be a massive amount still out there which people won't willingly give over. Only the good citizen that registers all his firearms and willingly gives them over will be at a loss here. And for victims of gun violence pushing to have guns banneed, heres a few questions for you. Was it illegal for the assailant to shoot you in the first place? How well did that law work out for you? Did that law protect you from getting shot int he first place? Obviously not.

10. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

People are too stupid to know what to use those guns for, or know the consequences of their actions. As many of us have learned to our cost, it's not that difficult to load a gun, aim and pull the trigger.
    Well, at least you're bringing in Clinton instead of Bush.
    Ooh, those. It's sadly amazing how easy it is to make some gunpowder. Put it in an adequate container with some rusty nails and you have got yourself a shrapnel-ejecting explosive.
    Molotov cocktails are easy too. But that's no reason to outlaw vodka and other drinks with a high alcoholic content. We should have to ban gasolin too.
    →You've evidently not read the arguments of those of us who want to restrict gun ownership as part of the fight against crime. Please read the whole thread next time.

11. PacoDeth

PacoDeth Chieftain

Care to quick summarize? 13 pages is beyond my threshold. :)

12. crazyunits

crazyunits Warlord

summary: pro gun vs. anti gun poop sling

13. Lord of Elves

Lord of Elves Suede-Denim Secret Police

*Unintelligent, convoluted, twisted, uninformed comment on the American government*

DISCUSS! :p

14. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I don't like guns. I only own one. I'm not a gun nut. Why have a gun? Because you never know when you'll need it.

I know they seem silly in the modern world. I admit I have this instinct to protect the women in my life. I know that may seem sexist since women are capable of defending themselves now days. But I just have this protective instinct I cannot deny. If I cannot protect the ones I love, what good am I? The world is filled with bad men.