Why are techs cheaper from some civs than others

Scyphax

Warlord
I have for some time noticed different civs sell the same techs at different prices.

Does anyone know why?

In most games the Aztecs will give me the tech much cheaper than anyone else.

I don't think it has anything to do with attitude.

Do the Aztecs sell things cheaper?
or is it that poor civilisations sell cheaper and the Aztecs tend to be poor because they spent all their cash on military development?
or is there some other reason?

IMO, i do believe it depends on Attitude, Trait (i had France, a commercial civ, always selling stuff cheaper), Wealth of the Civ (probably how much they need money), how many times you trades successfully with them, distance between the civ (i always had my neighbors offering stuff at a higher price, may be to get me weaker), or may be for how long did this civ own the tech (may be if it is a new tech to them, they ask for more to compensate for their expenses, or fearing that you will be scientifically equal to them, or depending on your military power and culture ratio... etc.
These are still all assumptions of course ;)

Several factors govern the price for a tech...

Attitude plays a part but also the nature of the tech - if all other civs know the tech then the price goes down and I suspect (although I have no proof ) that different civs price techs differently depending on their attributes so a millitarisitc civ will charge or pay more for a millitary advance than a non-millitary.

If a civ is in need of gold or luxury you may also get a reduction in the price just as a civ which has a high income or many luxuries will not entertain some trades.

Add in your reputation (not attitude of the other civ) - as either a deal breaker or keeper will also effect the value of a trade from a complete refusal to riduculous prices.

Culture groups matter, too. Do you always play the same civ? That explain any consistent results you get. Civs in the same culture group slightly prefer trading with each other. If you play with culture-linked starts, you will always start near the same few civs who will also be a lot kinder towards you.

I play the Russians about 30% of the time. And normally play Monarch on a standard map

Next time I will take a note of the civ attribute and the type of tech.

Generally I do a lot of trading.

In the early stages of the game when I am still exploring I have come across the Aztecs and try to trade with them for the first time I have often get techs for low prices (once for 6 gp!) while other civs like the French who I have done a few trades might offer me the same tech in the same turn for 100+.

The Aztecs from then on often but not always will trade techs for low prices.

The Aztecs are usually the best but sometimes the Zulus and Germans are also cheap (all militaristic civs)

The commercial civs tend to pay more and *I think* civs that have not researched that tech at all will give you more as well....

Check the thread AI - human trade revisited for a thorough explanation of a few factors that affect trade.

The short story is that above chieftan, a civ will demand more from you if it has a higher aggression level. So Germany will always demand more than India. The civs attitude towards you affect this slightly. Culture groups and governments do not matter.

This was generally checked with traits off, so I cannot say whether being commercial matters, but I seriously doubt it.

Top Bottom