Why are the maps so small?

Kailan

Chieftain
Love playing on huge and on V6 you only seem able to build 4 or 5 cities before all the space has gone and that means some nations can only build 1 or 2

Yep, landmass is absolutely tiny. My continents map was 70% ocean. And the continents were so badly shaped that each Civ only had space for 4-5 cities. I managed to get 6 in, which caused a thousand years of war on both sides of my borders.

Civ 5 maps felt a hell of a lot bigger. I always play on huge as well.

I also can't wait until the Earth map comes. Why wasn't it on release I wonder??

My maps have been fairly big. Make sure you select the Standard map size at least. The default is the Small map. It changes back every time you play a new game so you have to select Standard or bigger again. Standard map is definitely bigger than Civ 5 from what I have seen, with only one exception where I rolled a terrible start as Arabia stuck in Antarctica.

I have been playing on HUGE and the 'recommended' number of civs to go with yours is 12. I remove one civ (yea Egypt) and now there is roooooooom to groooow!

These are the map sizes compared to Civ V:

________Civ V_______Civ Vl

Dual 40 X 24 ____44 X 26
Tiny 55 X 36 ____60 X 36
Small 66 X 42____ 74 X 46
Standard 80 X 52 ____ 84 X 54
Large 104 X 64 _____96 X 60
Huge 128 X 80 _____106 X 66

From the same thread I got the info on map sizes there's a suggestion on how to make them bigger:

Whereveryouinstalled\Sid Meiers Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Gameplay\Data

Open the Maps file

Search near the bottom for <Row MapSizeType="MAPSIZE_HUGE" Name="LOC_MAPSIZE_HUGE_NAME" Description="LOC_MAPSIZE_HUGE_DESCRIPTION" DefaultPlayers="12" GridWidth="106" GridHeight="66" NumNaturalWonders="7" PlateValue="5" Continents="6"/>

Change the Gridwith and Gridheight value to whatever you feel like trying.

Be warned that this will significantly increase the load time when creating games, so go make a sammich or something while it loads.

Link to the thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/map-sizes.600406/

Dual 40 X 24 ____44 X 26
Tiny 55 X 36 ____60 X 36

From the same thread I got the info on map sizes there's a suggestion on how to make them bigger:

Link to the thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/map-sizes.600406/

Thank you for this vital piece of information. I won't be purchasing Civ6 after all. Because 128 X 80 is pretty much the bare minimum before I start to feel too claustrophobia on a map smaller than the bare minimum.

On other hand, its very disappointing that my prediction that firaxis will make civ 6 maps smaller than civ 5 maps come true. :/

This Precedent thing the lawyers love to use in courts really work after all guys.

Thank you for this vital piece of information. I won't be purchasing Civ6 after all. Because 128 X 80 is pretty much the bare minimum before I start to feel too claustrophobia on a map smaller than the bare minimum.

On other hand, its very disappointing that my prediction that firaxis will make civ 6 maps smaller than civ 5 maps come true. :/

This Precedent thing the lawyers love to use in courts really work after all guys.

I feel the same way about map size, but:

1) I can go in and correct it in the game files

2) Someone will create a mod for giant maps again.

I've been playing on Huge thus far, and while I feel a little bit squished, the changes to city defence just means I get to clear out a neighbour when I run out of room. Go straight for horsemen, match them with battering rams, and go nuts. :)

Dual 40 X 24 ____44 X 26
Tiny 55 X 36 ____60 X 36
Absolutely terrible

I think it's gameplay related, with the new movements you discover the map at a slower speed, because in fact the engine can handle maps much bigger than civ5

And there is still be the problem of massive slowdown on huge/giant maps, as it's exponential they may have tweaked the numbers so that there are no major issues from turns time even on huge.

I'm actually testing my next map mod with 28 civs on a giant continent map (180x90, it's around the size of the giant earth of YnAEMP)

Maybe the smaller top end maps are because of the limited civ pool at the moment?

Dual 40 X 24 ____44 X 26
Tiny 55 X 36 ____60 X 36

From the same thread I got the info on map sizes there's a suggestion on how to make them bigger

That explains why huge seemed small.

Maps seems smaller because citites take large amount of land due to districts so one city may have 10 tiles.

maps are actually bigger then civ 5 however it is filled up prety fast

Maps seems smaller because citites take large amount of land due to districts so one city may have 10 tiles.

maps are actually bigger then civ 5 however it is filled up prety fast

Up to standard they are bigger once you get huge and large then its smaller.

If there's no space left, grab space that belongs to your neighbors.

If you want more space for yourself reduce the number of opponents on the map, or edit the map files to make maps bigger. People have reported that the game is able to handle map sizes bigger than what Civ 5 could, assuming you have the hardware to support them.

If there's no space left, grab space that belongs to your neighbors.

If you want more space for yourself reduce the number of opponents on the map, or edit the map files to make maps bigger. People have reported that the game is able to handle map sizes bigger than what Civ 5 could, assuming you have the hardware to support them.

It would have to be done as a mod or else if there is any updates the newer file overwrites the edited file

Yes, making a mod out of it would be ideal. Just editing the file and having a backup that can be copy-pasted works too though.

Top Bottom