1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are there no games in the "hall of fame"?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by oyzar, Jan 29, 2009.

1. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

There are very few games in the civ hall of fame on this site http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/index.php . Currently there are almost 250 different speed/difficulty/victory type games that are unfilled. Why are noone submitting games? There seem to be an idea that hall of fame is only for the people who "milk" the game and regenerate starts to the extreeme. That is not the case. Anyone can submit their games there(as long as they have the original save and they played with hof mod without replaying anything). People don't want to have to compete with people who milk and regenerate the game? Those people aren't submitting many games... As it is now the HOF is very uncompetetive, so there is little to no point in submitting such games. If people just submitted most of the games they are doing(even if it is just for "fun"), the hof would be way more competetive and look way better as there would be a wider varity to the kind of games there is there and what things are aimed for in the individual games. At the moment it is more like a hall of shame than a hall of fame. If people could just submit games(requires playing with the hof mod and locked modified assets), that could change.

2. vanatteveldt

vanatteveldt Emperor

Personally, I don;t really care about showing my game to other people. I like discussing on strategies etc., and I might even do a public game at some point, but playing for the HoF does not mean anything for me.

Moreover, I seldom finish a game; it is is clear that there is no way I can lose (ie largest civ, ahead in tech, etc) I just drop it and start a new one. Finally, I often reload due to the lack of an undo command (ie worker with a multi-turn move command ends his turn next to an enemy, misclicking, etc), but (generally) not when the move gave me info or used the RNG.

3. madscientist

madscientist RPC Supergenius

My excuse/reason is 2 fold. First I am not all for that hall of fame stuff and prefer to keep the game entertaining and fresh as with the RPCs I play. Second is I am just too lazy to use the HOF mod.

4. fugazi

fugazi King

I rather keep my mistakes to my self and come here bragging about my great game-fu.

5. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Because when people have to play without reloading, or using the worldbuilder, they realise they arent as good as they thought they were.

6. nokem

nokem Chieftain

I only play GOTMs and they're ineligible.

7. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

I've started playing my offline games with the HOF mod so that I can submit all of them. Unfortunately I just don't play as much as I did as before so it's a slow process. That and I hate playing marathon or epic.

8. Soirana

Soirana Emperor

hall of fame?

You mean that place where people supposed to play with no barbs and double gems in starting cross while mopping handpicked opponents?

I'd rather play Civilization. And if anybody has doubts about fairplay there are some meassures. Like using locked assets and so on.

9. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

:lol: The point of the OP is that you don't have to play with no barbs and double gems to submit a HOF game. I've been submitting randomly generated leader/map games.

10. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

There is no need to regen starts until you have a super start. I play most of my games with barbs. I have random opponents almost all the time.

I still submit every game I play through to the HoF.

11. oyzar

Did you even read the first post? The whole point is that there are so very few people doing that, that most of the types of play aren't even filled out. If more people just submitted whatever games they played(wether it is with barbs or random leaders or not), the hof would be worth a lot more than it is now and look a lot better.

@ shyuhe there really isn't a need to play marathon or epic... On diety normal speed there is no conquest/domination/religious/space colony(bts space race)/time on normal huge, large and on standard there is no conquest/domination/religious/cultural/time for example...

12. Soirana

Soirana Emperor

My point was i do not want my games to be next to guys who use special generators to achieve special starting conditions and discuss which opoonnets to pick.

I do not feel we play the same game. Just my humble personal opinion.

Edit: and yes, if you dhave doubts i am capable reading English. At least while sober.

13. oyzar

Next to? The whole point is that the hof is damn empty, there aren't many that play that way out there, which is why the hof is empty. The hof should be for everyone showcasing the best / most fun games people have played. Just because don't like chosing opponents doesn't mean someone else might not find it making the game more fun. Personally i really hate barbarians and can't stand the slower speeds, that doesn't mean I won't agree to those who play marathon not playing the same game, they just play the game differently...

14. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

15. Soirana

Soirana Emperor

Should be, yes.

They can play and have fun with they gems as long and as much they like. Just next time you will try to explain about concurrency in their world, remind about all these blank spots, okay?

Edit: oops. Good example of where you might go without checking facts:)

16. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Yep, because every #1 position on every HoF table, the player has a super start location.

Or not, because I know I have some where I didn't have a super start location.

17. Perplexity

Perplexity Warlord

Because I want to use BUG and Better AI.

18. Skurn

Skurn Warlord

I allways play with HOF mod and submit every game I win even with crappy finish date. It's more about filling the tables than getting first places anyway, but I agree with the OP, it would be nice to have more games there.

I try to optimize starting position and everything when I play a gauntlet, because that is the point of the gauntlet.
    Otherwise I go with most things random which is imho much more fun. Of course there's little chance to get a real impressive date doing that.

As of competition, I prefer the XOTM format, where everyone starts equal.

19. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Except for that they don't, due to events and in some cases huts.

If you think some combination of these two haven't already affected medal winners, you're out of your mind. The problem is determining their direct impact.

But it could be something really simple. Say, the AI pops a strong tech from a hut, which now the player in that game can trade and use earlier (Imagine if it's optics or astro on certain maps!). Global tech rate goes up, and an otherwise even game is given to one guy if two players are playing equally toward space. And that is a very MINOR possibility, some things can have very real and large impacts far beyond that.

As for HoF, I do play in it (and I don't have the patience to re-roll top starts, or even micro much for that matter :rolleyes:). It's fun to play in/post now and then, but mostly I stick to the gauntlets because there's a strategy element to them.

I could finish up immortal EQM in a day now if I cared.

20. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

I think I've said this before, but popping gems or gold from a mine early in the game is just as game-changing, except you can't in any way plan for it. Random events you can keep some money to limit bad effects, increase good effects. Huts and random resource pops, not so much.