Why are we linked to GoogleMaps?

Takhisis

¡Patria y vida!
I found out accidentally, that clicking on anyone's listed ‘location’ takes us to Google Maps. Why is this? It feels a tad invasive.

We could not find up yours!
Make sure your search is spelled correctly. Try adding a city, state, or zip code.

I think you're safe from our prying eyes, Tak.

I don't know why, but I wouldn't think it's any more invasive than you individually want it to be; you're not required to put down your address, and whatever you do put down is free to be googled regardless of a direct link.

Apparently Takhisis is in the United States (the default, when no actual location can be determined?). :lol:

I don't know why, but I wouldn't think it's any more invasive than you individually want it to be; you're not required to put down your address, and whatever you do put down is free to be googled regardless of a direct link.
It must be more than just the name of the city. What if you're really from Sydney, Nova Scotia? And what about people from Paris? Does Google default to France, Texas, or Canada?

Edit: I see the Google entry has the population wrong and the temperature in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. We passed 100,000 people quite awhile ago. At least the map doesn't have my street listed on it at first glance.

Edit #2: I checked my location on TrekBBS (I use a science fiction reference on that forum), and the map defaults to the U.S.

So if you don't want Google Map to know where you are, make up a nonsense location. Mind you, that still doesn't explain the problem of multiple countries having the same names for cities. Google got it right in Camikaze's case, but what about people who live in other cities named Sydney?

Last edited:
Don't think there's an issue there. Seems the forum will just pass on the words you put in your location to google maps, without any personally identifiable information.
It cannot linked back, and you can put down whatever you want, as precise if you want.

Don't think there's an issue there. Seems the forum will just pass on the words you put in your location to google maps, without any personally identifiable information.
It cannot linked back, and you can put down whatever you want, as precise if you want.
Did you put in some invisible characters in your location field? It shows North America.

Do I count as paranoid if you're really out to get me?
It still doesn't feel quite right, y'know. Anymore than the ‘connect with Facebook’ thing.
Did you put in some invisible characters in your location field? It shows North America.
Germany/Netherlands is not a place. Germany and the Netherlands, separately, are.

you're not required to put down your address
You might as well. Find the part of town where I live and you can zoom right in to the wing of the building I live in.

Nope, and for me it just shows the whole Netherlands when I click on the link for me.
Hope nobody will really think that Germany + NL are in the Americas :D. (but if so: Whatever :D)

How much would you bet that there are places called ‘Germany’ as well as ‘Netherlands’ in the U.S. of A.?
You might as well. Find the part of town where I live and you can zoom right in to the wing of the building I live in.
‘Happy goldfish bowl, everyone’ - I hope you recognise the quote.

How much would you bet that there are places called ‘Germany’ as well as ‘Netherlands’ in the U.S. of A.?

‘Happy goldfish bowl, everyone’ - I hope you recognise the quote.
Sorry, I don't recognize the quote. Where is it from?

if u dont want someone 2 no ur rough adress, dont put one down :)

Moderator Action: This is a discussion forum, not a text message. Please do us all a favor and spend a bit more effort to help us understand your point. Thanks, leif.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put mine down because at the time I joined, I hadn't picked up the online stalkers, saw no reason to hide, and the reason in the first place was that I got tired of having to explain, "I'm Canadian." Doing that helps cut down on a lot of assumptions by people who assume I'm American and berate me for the things Americans do (ie. voting for a party or politician they don't like).

Of course it does mean I get Canadian stereotypes tossed at me, but that's basically an opening to explain that the stereotype isn't really how most Canadians are.

Top Bottom