Why are Zulus expected to be the next DLC?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Jatta Pake, May 10, 2011.

1. troytheface

troytheface Deity

"Someone in another thread speculated that the Zulus will be the next DLC. What is the basis of this thought"

Fact- Zulu- There have been expansions in every version, 3 and 4 had the Zulu, however counter fact is that while history may be a guide it does not mean that much when new stuff is happening all the time

Fact-Zulu- the pike replacement idea was unexpected - i suggest the earlier a unique unit the better the unique unit

Fact- Zulu- stop making xtra powered or movement crap for unique units and have some fun like they did with the Moari Warrior, the best unit in the game, or the Conquistidor of civ3 - how about they cost a penny and can't upgrade til infantry and maitnetence is low and you can build like 8 billion of them or something

Fact-Zulu-they can't be yellow so maybe they should make them greenish but not yellow greenish which is kinda sickening which means blue greenish

the evidence is clear- Zulu- and the Colour from Space (hp lovecraft)

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, I think the fact that it's called Part 2 of a patch could be telling. It's quite possible there is no DLC since the DLC was released with part 1.

3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Yeah, I doubt they'd release yet another DLC so soon on the tails of Denmark. They'll want the sales for that DLC to peak now, then wait a month or so before releasing another DLC.

Zulus would be an interesting DLC choice, but they didn't really contribute anything lasting to the world, and were a fairly short-lived entity. Personally I'd prefer the Mayans over them, but maybe that's just me.

4. Jatta Pake

Jatta Pake Warlord

Do any UU ignore zone of control movement penalty? A pikemen replacement that ignored zoc would be cool. Impi organization seems to a good fit for Civil Service tech given the training required. Maybe add a movement point and remove all bonuses vs horse units.

The should also get a unique ability bonus that gives an renn age economic bonus that boosts trading posts called Savanna Rhino Reserve. Maybe triple gold production. Start bias location plains away from horse resources.

Another UU could be the Boer Mercenary which is a Cavalry replacement.

5. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

@troytheface: uh, what?

6. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Allright guys, We have more precise ideas on the UU and the UA thanks to the feedback. It seems there is wide support for Impi being a Pikemen replacement and if you compare the riflemen 25 strength to the pikemen 10 strength, spearmen are definitely off. Now, they aren't good against cavalry but they should remain above the spearman, right. Then, they are a maneuverable force so they suffers no terrain penalties and ignores zoc ( both transmitted to their upgrade line ) with 3 moves. Lastly, they should receive a 5% bonus to flanking from having another Impi on one or either side.
    I revised the UA to be less a pain to play against and more fun to play with :

Migratory Wars

Other civilizations cannot settle next toany zulu infantry unit and suffers a 70% failure rate 2 tiles away.
    Units in the radius of a great general cannot start their turn with less than 3 movement points.

Now, a decision should be made for the last attribute ! Suggestions so far are : Boer Mercenary, Ikhanda, Kraal , ...
    That should be it for now and tbh I don't know where this boer idea comes from so only 2 real choices.

7. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

I'm not a huge fan of that ability. What's it supposed to represent?

Also, did the Zulu use the Boers? It seems almost a better candidate for a Boer Civ using the Zulu as mercenaries.

8. Polycrates

Polycrates Emperor

Okay, here's a suggestion for the Zulu - may be massively overpowered, but I think it would provide an interestingly different playstyle.

Unique ability: Zulu mobility

Land combat units pay no movement penalty for rough terrain or enemy zone of control

Unique unit: Impi
    Replaces: Pikeman
    Strength: 10
    Move: 3
    +50% vs mounted (not 100%); provides double flanking bonus; no movement cost to pillage; +25% vs gunpowder

Unique unit: Assegai (spear) thrower
    Replaces: Archer
    Strength: 6
    Ranged strength: 10
    Move: 2
    Range: 1
    Cannot melee attack; can move after attacking

Rationale:
    The UA may be too powerful, but I think it would provide an interestingly different style of warfare. If I were to weaken it a bit, I'd make it not apply to siege. It not only creates a very fast force that can easily respond to threats or opportunities, but also allows Zulu units to easily outflank a given unit. In particular, it favours larger hordes of troops, both by allowing troops to more easily stay in formation, and by using massed flanking bonuses.

The impi is designed to fit in with this style of play, as the pikeman is the "weak" medieval unit, but when used in numbers to encircle a foe, can provide massive bonuses to take down much stronger units. The pillage bonus represents Shaka's total war style of fighting, and because it fits well with this type of unit, and because pillaging is a really underused mechanic in this iteration of the game and it's fun. Less bonus vs mounted because they're not really an anti-cavalry force.

The assegai thrower would be interesting, I think, though the strength values might need tweaking. More melee strength than an archer (like the bowman) but still very vulnerable, and of course incapable of getting terrain defense promos. Massive ranged strength for the time period, but very risky to get them in close enough to make use of it, and no real way to hide them behind screening forces. The move after attacking seems to fit with their theme, and means they're not necessarily quite so vulnerable if you use them as a skirmisher.

9. KevinMiles90000

KevinMiles90000 Warlord

I think with the recent change of the AI DOW early I'm thinking the Zulu might be the next DLC with some warrior unit capable of rushing which would be totally awesome and terrible at the same time. I hope so because this game just isn't the same without Shaka in it.

10. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Songhai might have made it into the vanilla version over Zulu because they're easily incorporated in the middle-eastern art-style and music. Zulu would have to have their own to do them justice; like the Polynesians did.

My vision for a Zulu civ:

Leader: Shaka
    "Annihilation" special ability: units heal when upgraded; rival civs must settle further away from your cities (5 tiles instead of 3)
    Impi (replaces spearman): +1 movement point; bonus against fortified units
    Kraal (replaces stable): +1 happy

Maybe it will be an "Afrikaans" DLC with Dutch and Zulu included :D.

11. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

I agree and would really like to see the Zulus in this version of Civ as well - but I think a land builder is more likely (as discussed on first page). This would indicate maybe Carthage, Korea or the Maya... or even Ethiopia (although if they even make it in they'd be a lot further down the queue IMO).

12. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

i've been saying for about a month or so now that this would make a great double pack. the dutch would most likely have a naval unit or ability, but that's okay because they can always just bombard the zulu cities to soften them up for attacking.

13. Optical

Optical The Fall of the Eleventh

Wow, you're right, it fits perfectly! :eek: I can't believe I didn't think of that :p. That's an awesome idea... and yes, I started typing that before I noticed about your username :D

14. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

no worries, brolaf

15. Lovebird

Lovebird Warlord

I think Civ needs more non-euro civs anyways. THe game is so Eurocentric, and it plays into a EUrocentric worldview. There are tons of civilizations from Asia and Africa, no need for half the game to be a bunch of white people.

16. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

there's actually a really good balance so far. there are a ton of asian civilizations in the game, at least as many european ones.

17. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Brilliant! Great job!

18. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

this UA makes mounted units too powerfull & I don't like that along with the fact that it deprives the Incas of a huge part of their ability. For throwing assegai, I don't think it ever was an effective way of using this weapon except in melee were throwing can become a desperate measure.
    Now, we should recall ourselves that Civ 5 is its own thing and not replicate what was done previously because it will never be felt satisfying enough !

19. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

Maybe have the Ikhanda as a UI available with Trapping that gives units within a two tile radius a 10% Combat boost?

20. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Do you hide a Moai statue inside your Ikhanda ? ;)