1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why blazing and wht password protected?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM' started by AAjus[LTU], Jan 6, 2008.

1. AAjus[LTU]

AAjus[LTU] Chieftain

Why blazing turns are so popular? I am not fast enough to move all my units. And there is no time to think about strategy or to communicate with other players. Do you find blazing turns interesting?

And why so many games in the lobby are password protected? Are so many games played just by buddies, who don't want other players to joint? Or are passwords announced for public somewhere in forums or chats?

2. Ihmemies

Ihmemies Nikon F2

Public games suck. I wouldn't want mentally challenged people invading my games if I had an option to prevent it with a password. I've played some games in lobby with friends in pw-protected games. Others do it too.

I suppose blazing speed is used, because players want to play as many turns as possible before everyone quits. It's just that I haven't figured out why people bother to play sucky games (=public lobby) with speed turns (=blazing). Maybe they really have nothing better to do? Of course it's better than burning churches or kicking the crap out of grannies in streets.

3. Trainwreck20

Trainwreck20 King

Most of the public games in the lobby are small maps and are assumed to be pretty much every player for themselvers (little colaboration at all). On a small map, you can make an approximation of moving all your units that you need to, but that is about it. Imho, fast would be passable in on a small/ffa map. In reality, the people setting up the game don't want to plan/think...they just follow their pre-ordained strategy that they have worked out with their fav civ. Really, not that much fun. And islands on blazing is for the builders who don't want you to be able to organize any kind of attack.

the PW protected game is usually some people who plan to play for a while and know that they will stick around, and maybe even play multiple sessions.

4. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

blazzing is essential if you want to finish a game within a reasonable amount of time (3 hours). Otherwise people just forget to press enter and the game progresses very slowly.

If you are used to single player then blazzing seems too fast, but believe me after a few games you get used to it.

Also it is very important when you play against humans to dissable all animations and tech/wonder pop ups. What you do is go to the options from within the game and set quick moves, quick offence/defence and minimize pop ups.

This saves loads of time and makes the game plyable on blazzing.

5. AAjus[LTU]

AAjus[LTU] Chieftain

I don't think turns should end only by pressing enter. There are options to give say 2 minutes for a turn. And how many seconds does the blazing give?

6. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

2 min a turn to play 150 turns you need 5 hours...a long time..

7. DeaExMachina

DeaExMachina Warlord

The only time I hate blazing is when I'm in war. Often I don't get to move my entire war machine and can lose wars especially when attempting to operate multiple stacks and the dreaded two wars at once while on Blazing? You might as well just quit.

8. Trainwreck20

Trainwreck20 King

That is the problem that I have, especially when first mobilizing for war and when first reacting to an attack. It gives the attacker somewhat of an advantages (they obviously planned the attack) because you may not have a chance to move things around or make some decisions. And it wars get big, it is just not that much fun to try to get everything done in time.

90% of the game (peace time) blazing is just fine. But it really can ruin a good game during war - at least for me.

9. Speaker

Speaker Deity

Many of the passworded games are played by a private group called C4P or "the Ladder." The Ladder is an online ranking system, whose purpose is to provide fun games while minimizing (or eliminating ideally) quitting. See http://www.myleague.com/civ4players for more information.

You get used to Blazing timer on early era starts, but in later eras (Renaissance and beyond) it is usually too fast!

10. TeraHammer

TeraHammer Prince

Blazing is essential for finishing a game in one evening. You just gotta get used too it. I agree that in later eras blazing is a little bit too much, not possible to micromange your cities properly.

11. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Warlord

While I could try to get used to blazing speed, I would prefer not to. Strategy during wartime and micromanagement of cities is what CIV is all about for me. That is why I am looking for a PBEM game.

12. oyzar

oyzar Have quit civ/forums

Pitboss have all the advantages of PBEM just that it is faster.. There is no reason to play PBEM if pitboss is a possibility.