1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Boys With Sisters Are More Likely To Be Republicans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Formaldehyde, Jul 15, 2013.

1. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Yeah, there was no way to avoid the traditional female chores with four boys and no girls in the house. Mom could have never kept up. To this day, I enjoy washing dishes. It's fun. Folding laundry on the other hand...

BRAIN SWAP!

2. Farm Boy

Farm Boy You gave me my own tail?

Ooooh, I like this, and it seems to have gone largely unaddressed.

3. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

That is what I first thought they might mean when I first read the headline. But according to the study, it turned out the be just the opposite. That it is a lack of egalitarianism towards women which motivates those who grew up with sisters and didn't do stereotypical female chores to feel this way.

But who knows? Perhaps the sociologists were just evil liberals who wanted to spin it that way, despite being affiliated with two staunchly conservative institutions.

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

There's a reason why the measures of error in social science modeling are so high. Lots of variance, lots of variables.

My cat must be super-liberal because it needs big human to bail it out from the dog chasing it all the time.

5. Ice_Tyrant

Ice_Tyrant Prince

Huh. I got a little sister. If anything I've been luring her further and further towards the dark side away from my conservative democrat mother. Then again, my mom doesn't fit the... Gender roles. My dad has been nothing for like half my life, and my mom has done all of the work.

6. Farm Boy

Quite possibly! But I know you like this drum, so beat away at it. :)

7. IdiotsOpposite

IdiotsOpposite Boom, headshot.

Y'all are getting your pants in a knot over nothing.

8. Antilogic

Antilogic --

That's like 90% of CFC-OT. ;)

9. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

CFC-OT: Your home for exceptionalism on the internet.

10. Arwon

Arwon

Wait laundry and dishes and cooking are girly? Who the hell are these idiots?

11. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

ITT: People attempting to disprove a large sample size with anecdotes.

12. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Well the study is just far too subjective.

13. azzaman333

azzaman333 meh

Explain how.

14. Formaldehyde

I believe they are typically called traditionalists and staunch conservatives / Republicans. But I imagine there are also some liberals who refuse to do housework they think women should do instead.

15. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Rather, I think most of the academic discussion about the gender split in household chores probably come from left of center researchers.

16. Formaldehyde

Thanks for helping to corroborate my previous remark:

Wall Street Journal: Boys Mow Lawns, Girls Do Dishes: Are Parents Perpetuating the Chore Wars?

Erickson: Liberals Are “Anti-Science” Because Women Belong in the Kitchen

Link to video.

Science Daily: Household Chores: Gender Equality's Final Frontier

Link to video.

Link to video.

17. Farm Boy

Have we considered that the theory of linkage is merely one aspect of the rather broad amount of factors that both result from having siblings and later go into forming political and social opinions?

That perhaps, yes, household chore assignments may perpetuate socially and politically conservative views on work. But also perhpas that the presence of siblings may perpetuate perpetuate different views on appropriate sexual actions that are different yet also typically associated with social and political conservatives? I read through the article and there isn't any speech regarding, much less control for what seems to me to be a pretty low-hanging association here. Of course, that association's existence wouldn't disprove the chores-association the study found but it may also very well play into the at least somewhat-more-complex-than-one-variable formation of political affiliation.

TL:DR if you want. Liberals are misogynistic woman-users. I guess. Or something.

18. Formaldehyde

I now have my own tl:dr thanks to another poster:

Is it really that surprising that conservatives are typically a bit more traditional in their thinking? That in general they think traditional gender roles are a bit more important than liberals typically do?

Spoiler :

19. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Most academic discussion about gender anything comes from the left of centre. Conservatives tend to regard the function of sociology as a sort of glorified census-taking, which tends to discourage critical investigation into things like gender, race, etc.

20. Arwon

Arwon

Of course household work among adults remains heavily gendered.

I just couldn't fathom that there were households that made girls do dishes and laundry without making boys do it too. Isn't that grossly unfair parenting? (My sister would certainly have never stood for that...)