1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can you make peace so easily with City States?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Archon_Wing, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

In Civ V, if someone and their allied CS's war on you, you have to make peace with them collectively, as part of a deal.

Here though, you can just make peace regardless with the CS (10 turns?) That makes them pretty useless for any real conflict, I would think.

2. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

It's not an intentional behavior. It's because the game is a lazy mess.

Japper007, spfun and Roald Amundsen like this.
  3. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

Yup, that and the cede city 'bug' are so glaring and detrimental to game balance (helping make war a cakewalk), it really makes you question the competence of the developers.

4. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Your recollection of Civ V is not quite accurate. If a CS ceased to be allied to your opponent civ, you could make peace with the CS immediately. Agree that the Civ VI mechanic, as it stands now, is not the same.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. Reckoner

Reckoner Chieftain

I believe it's intentional. Suzerainity(?) is fragile and dynamic, as it should be.
    If you want to use those fighting men, pay up.

6. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

It is not working as intended. There would be no point in allowing a player to make peace with a CS allied with another player without any kind of condition attached to that peace, because there would be no reason for the player not to make peace with the CS.

Think of it this way: Kongo declares war on you, and Kongo's city states declare war on you as well. Why would you not press the "Make Peace" button on those city states? There is literally no advantage to being at war with them and Kongo at the same time. Even if you wanted to take their city in a war, you can simply declare war with a CS whenever you want without having to worry about fighting them and Kongo simultaneously.

So, if this is the behavior they wanted, then the game would not have city states declare war on you at all since a logical player will make peace with the city state 100% of the time.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    nzcamel likes this.
  7. Reckoner

Reckoner Chieftain

I can think of a couple of reasons not to make peace with a CS right away, namely Farming XP, being able to move units through their territory and being able to conquer the CS without penalty (or with smaller penalty).
    What's important to remember here is that the Suzerain already gets free passage, resources and the unique bonus from the CS. Using its units should cost more, as it does with the 'Levy Military' action.

8. The Economy

The Economy Chieftain

Dude no, it's a bug. It's very clear and obvious that this is a bug.

9. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Prince

Reasonable enough arguments. However, I'm going to cheat by posting this.

nzcamel, DizzKneeLand33 and Reckoner like this.