[GS] Why can't a canal be placed here?

Hans Vuxtejs

Chieftain

Question: why can't a canal be placed on the lower left hex of the city's territory (the left hand side tile with a 3m mark, opposite a glacier tile, with one food)? The terrain is Tundra, without a hill. Might be something obvious that I've missed but can't figure out what.

He has a quarry there so there is stone there, IE there cannot be a strategic.

OP, that red symbol just means it’ll remove the resource. You should still be able to place. The green highlight around the tile means you can place there. The game will warn you doing so will delete the stone, though.

He means the left bottom tile, next to the ice. I don't have GS, but I would say it would connect the same sea to itself, they are not separated, as the ice probably acts as water tile and you cannot build canals along the coast. Also there might be a hidden resource, but those do not block other districts, do they...

Right, if you mean the bottom left tile, all 3 water tiles next to it are navigable, which would force it to make an illegal connection.

Gifu already works as a canal which connects the lake to the sea. With another canal you'd have a canal (new one) next to a canal (Gifu), which is not allowed.

Right, if you mean the bottom left tile, all 3 water tiles next to it are navigable, which would force it to make an illegal connection.
That would be troubling because currently the glacier tile is not navigable, so I felt it really should have been possible to build such a canal to circumvent the glacier.

Gifu already works as a canal which connects the lake to the sea. With another canal you'd have a canal (new one) next to a canal (Gifu), which is not allowed.

I wanted to connect the two sides of the sea. The most logical place I saw was the bottom left tile next to the glacier, but I was surprised that the game only allowed me to build a canal on the hex highlighted in the screenshot.

Last edited:
That would be troubling because currently the glacier tile is not navigable, so I felt it really should have been possible to build such a canal to circumvent the glacier.

I wanted to connect the two sides of the sea. The most logical place I saw was the bottom left tile next to the glacier, but I was surprised that the game only allowed me to build a canal on the hex highlighted in the screenshot.
If you want to keep stone, buy and chop the cattle tile or buy the tile between the cattle and whatever golden ring resource, build the canal there and you’ll have your connection.

Most people answering failed to get the idea where would you want to build it...
Anyway I still think the glaciered sea counts as sea. Thus the hex borders with three continuous sea tiles and cannot be used for a canal. The visuals only support that.
If you want a painless canal, it can be done through the lake and buying the plains (2f) tile.

Most people answering failed to get the idea where would you want to build it...
Anyway I still think the glaciered sea counts as sea. Thus the hex borders with three continuous sea tiles and cannot be used for a canal. The visuals only support that.
If you want a painless canal, it can be done through the lake and buying the plains (2f) tile.
My brain saw the picture and filtered out the “obvious” ineligible spots. Guess I need to read more carefully...

Sea is sea. The ice will melt anyways if OP embraces the way of the Coal plant, although he has several other choices to canal through.

I’ve carefully read OP and think I understand the question put

My answer is that I think ice is a tile feature that exists ‘above’ the water underneath. Canals act to bridge two water tiles that have no mutually adjoining water tiles. The two water tiles are connected by a mutual water tile, which is presently obstructed by ice

It’s a fringe situation. Building in the permitted tile would accomplish the desired mobility. I imagine you could also build a Panama Canal through the desired tile and the three hammer quarry, connecting the lake with the sea (despite the latter featuring ice), which would hack a canal tile into desired tile

Ice is a terrain feature, not a terrain type. Therefore, the tile it is on is recognised as coast, not land, preventing the construction of the canal because as far as the game is concerned, it would not be connecting two separate bodies of water.

The canal and its two connecting spots have to be in a straight line. water-canal-water. The hex you are looking at would have to have the canal turn, which isn't allowed, as far as I know.

Northwest to southeast: land-land-water
West to east: water-land-land

The canal and its two connecting spots have to be in a straight line. water-canal-water. The hex you are looking at would have to have the canal turn, which isn't allowed, as far as I know.

Northwest to southeast: land-land-water
West to east: water-land-land

Canals can turn, they just can't be between two water tiles that are themselves adjacent.

A canal connects two bodies of water or a body of water to a City Center. As others have noted, the tile with ice on it counts as water. So the three water tiles to the South East, South West, and West are only one body of water.

Top Bottom