1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Why can't a canal be placed here?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hans Vuxtejs, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Hans Vuxtejs

Hans Vuxtejs Chieftain

Question: why can't a canal be placed on the lower left hex of the city's territory (the left hand side tile with a 3m mark, opposite a glacier tile, with one food)? The terrain is Tundra, without a hill. Might be something obvious that I've missed but can't figure out what.

2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

There's probably uranium or oil under there that you can't see yet

3. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

He has a quarry there so there is stone there, IE there cannot be a strategic.

OP, that red symbol just means it’ll remove the resource. You should still be able to place. The green highlight around the tile means you can place there. The game will warn you doing so will delete the stone, though.

Meluhhan and Atlas627 like this.
  4. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

He means the left bottom tile, next to the ice. I don't have GS, but I would say it would connect the same sea to itself, they are not separated, as the ice probably acts as water tile and you cannot build canals along the coast. Also there might be a hidden resource, but those do not block other districts, do they...

Turrdy and Meluhhan like this.
  5. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Right, if you mean the bottom left tile, all 3 water tiles next to it are navigable, which would force it to make an illegal connection.

Tobizi likes this.
  6. Tobizi

Tobizi Chieftain

Gifu already works as a canal which connects the lake to the sea. With another canal you'd have a canal (new one) next to a canal (Gifu), which is not allowed.

7. Hans Vuxtejs

Hans Vuxtejs Chieftain

That would be troubling because currently the glacier tile is not navigable, so I felt it really should have been possible to build such a canal to circumvent the glacier.

I wanted to connect the two sides of the sea. The most logical place I saw was the bottom left tile next to the glacier, but I was surprised that the game only allowed me to build a canal on the hex highlighted in the screenshot.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  8. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

If you want to keep stone, buy and chop the cattle tile or buy the tile between the cattle and whatever golden ring resource, build the canal there and you’ll have your connection.

9. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

Most people answering failed to get the idea where would you want to build it...
    Anyway I still think the glaciered sea counts as sea. Thus the hex borders with three continuous sea tiles and cannot be used for a canal. The visuals only support that.
    If you want a painless canal, it can be done through the lake and buying the plains (2f) tile.

Sostratus likes this.
  10. Sostratus

Sostratus Deity

My brain saw the picture and filtered out the “obvious” ineligible spots. Guess I need to read more carefully...

Sea is sea. The ice will melt anyways if OP embraces the way of the Coal plant, although he has several other choices to canal through.

Naeshar and Hans Vuxtejs like this.
  11. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

I’ve carefully read OP and think I understand the question put

My answer is that I think ice is a tile feature that exists ‘above’ the water underneath. Canals act to bridge two water tiles that have no mutually adjoining water tiles. The two water tiles are connected by a mutual water tile, which is presently obstructed by ice

It’s a fringe situation. Building in the permitted tile would accomplish the desired mobility. I imagine you could also build a Panama Canal through the desired tile and the three hammer quarry, connecting the lake with the sea (despite the latter featuring ice), which would hack a canal tile into desired tile

12. conorbebe

conorbebe King

Ice is a terrain feature, not a terrain type. Therefore, the tile it is on is recognised as coast, not land, preventing the construction of the canal because as far as the game is concerned, it would not be connecting two separate bodies of water.

13. Virdrago

Virdrago Wandering

The canal and its two connecting spots have to be in a straight line. water-canal-water. The hex you are looking at would have to have the canal turn, which isn't allowed, as far as I know.

Northwest to southeast: land-land-water
    West to east: water-land-land

14. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Canals can turn, they just can't be between two water tiles that are themselves adjacent.

15. smvalentine

smvalentine Warlord Supporter

A canal connects two bodies of water or a body of water to a City Center. As others have noted, the tile with ice on it counts as water. So the three water tiles to the South East, South West, and West are only one body of water.