Why cant both these cities build a stoneworks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhavv

Glorious World Dictator
I have two sources of stone one for each city and both the cities are built on a grassland tile, but one of the stones overlaps with both cities, and Ollan-whatever has both the stones closer to it so it wont let me build a stoneworks in Macchu:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Very sad :( I placed Ollan nearer to the second stone rather than to the horses to build a stoneworks, and missed out on a second circus thinking that this placement would let me build a stonework in both those cities.

Hmm.. That's odd. I would reckon you're right and should be able to build a stoneworks in both cities.
I wonder if this is a bug or intended (or something)?

If my memory deserves, Stoneworks can be built only in cities located on a hill, that's perhaps a bug on Ollantaytambo city

Your memory is wrong, stoneworks can only be built on grasslands, flat or hills.

I have 3 cities on flat grasslands, capital with a marble nearby, and those two. The capital and Ollan can build a stoneworks, but Macchu cant.

Yeah I've had some weirdness too.

Edit: Oh Bezurn explained it. Makes sense now.

The game uses the same logic that it uses to determine if a city can build a circus. You cannot create a circus from one source of horse / 'phat. You would need a unique source of stone that each city 'claimed' in order to build two stonework buildings (*).

When a city sets its purple border expansion square on a resource it is 'claimed' and cannot be shared with another city for purposes of building special resources.

In one case I was trying to setup a odd coastal city that had horse across two water tiles from it. I was to slow in building up the culture of that city that my capitol claimed the horse from the other city, denying it the ability to build a circus, even though the capitol couldn't work the horses.

(*) - If you were able to get two cities to claim a tile at the same time period it might be possible to create 2 special buildings from one resources. I have not tried this though, but it might be possible.

Ah, I get it, so I need to claim each source of stone with a different city to build a stoneworks in each. Annoying.

Why are there constraints other than having stone/marble?

I dont get this either. If I have a stone or marble in my BFC, why does it matter if my city is built on a grassland or a plains tile?

Why didn't you choose to settle the hills on the lakeshore ?

The Stoneworks IS a balance building with the Windmill :
- same or more (1 ; 2 ; ... ) production bonus
- available ealier
- happiness

against

- 10 % modifier bonus when working on buidings

I settled on the hills in my next playthrough, but a lot of people seem confused that there is no balance between the stoneworks and windmill.

Both can be built in the same city, if it is on a grasslands plain.

Windmills give +2 production ans 10% more production towards buildings, I like having them wherever possible.

stoneworks can only be built on grasslands, flat or hills.
I've built it in a city on floodplains, or is that what you meant by "flat"?

just curious - why would you want stoneworks in both cities anyhow? Stoneworks costs maintenance, and only gives +1 hammer per stone tile worked .. so you'd want a city with stoneworks to work as many stone tiles as possible to reduce the cost per bonus gained.

It also grants happiness too though. That may be the primary reason he wants it built in both cities. Sure it's inefficient happiness, but more is always a nice thing.

just curious - why would you want stoneworks in both cities anyhow? Stoneworks costs maintenance, and only gives +1 hammer per stone tile worked .. so you'd want a city with stoneworks to work as many stone tiles as possible to reduce the cost per bonus gained.

Why dont people try looking up look up what the thing does before posting?

Stoneworks - City must not be in plains

+1 :c5happy:
+1 :c5production:
+1 :c5production: from stone / marble
1 :c5gold: maintenance

Even with just a single resource, you get +1 happyness and +2 production for just 1 maintenance.

It also grants happiness too though. That may be the primary reason he wants it built in both cities. Sure it's inefficient happiness, but more is always a nice thing.

And an extra base production.

Why dont people try looking up look up what the thing does before posting?

Stoneworks - City must not be in plains

+1 :c5happy:
+1 :c5production:
+1 :c5production: from stone / marble
1 :c5gold: maintenance

Even with just a single resource, you get +1 happyness and +2 production for just 1 maintenance.

And an extra base production.

No need to be so grumpy and rude. He's just asking a question...

And it doesn't give two production in both cities, because one of those hammers comes from working the tile.

I thought it had to be on a hill, but apparently its "not plains".
I suppose jungle and forest become plains once you plant a city on them.

And it doesn't give two production in both cities, because one of those hammers comes from working the tile.

I have a stone resource for each city, not one resource shared between two.

I thought it had to be on a hill, but apparently its "not plains".
I suppose jungle and forest become plains once you plant a city on them.

Jungle 100% yes. Forest though can either have plains, grassland or tundra as the plot type beneath them. Hovering over a tile with forest reveals the underlying plot type.

It is weird the city working on the stone can't build Stoneworks, but the other city does. :p

Ok look, this has to a bug:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

This Time Machu acquired the stone resource into its cultural border, but it still cant build stoneworks.

Ollan acquired a stone and a horse, and can build both stoneworks and circus, but Machu which has the same resources cannot build a stoneworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom