Why can't I enjoy the "one more turn" post-game?

Mojotronica

Expect Irony.
I win the game via Space Race and the world is still an interesting place. here is a chance to enjoy a slow, leisurely conquest of all the other civs using modern weapons of war.

Yet when I fire up the game I find it hard to stay focused on that, I start thinking about launching a new game and trying again.

I just finished a nice game as the Dutch. I never went to war and so there are four Civs to deal with still. All I have to think about is defeating them militarily -- fun! But all I can think about is playing again as Louis XIV France.

Attachments

• Civ IV Dutch_jpg.JPG
    Civ IV Dutch_jpg.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 218
It's because you won and there's nothing left for you to strive for. An avid SimCity player may want to play a single game forever, but for the rest of us, when there's no more room to expand physically, culturally, or technologically, there's no point in continuing.

Civ lacks any sort of feedback you get from being creative, most of it is just a means to an end, one more turn is fail because its a sandbox without any sand in it to play with.

Your already in a pretty dominant position. A war with Joao might prove interesting for a little while till you get the upper hand, but the rest of the world you'd likely just crush.

It's hard to stay interested in a game like that when you've already won.

I don't know.... It's like that message at the bottom just saps your fun away.

I've played a game, and I waited and built up my empire, made each city super perfect, and was preparing for war and all of the sudden.... "CEILING MAHN has won a Time Victory"!

"Oh, well it's alright, I'll just keep playing..." I thought, then I realized that it wasn't even HALF as fun.... So I went to WorldBuilder, saved the scenario, and played it again.

For some reason, it was still fun. @_@

(I wanted to play as The Southern Empire(Next War Advanced?), a war battered nation recovering from an extremely destructive war with America, but I didn't get to since my computer got a virus a bit later and I had to system recover. T_T)

Top Bottom