1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Can't I give cities to my Vassal?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by herald, Feb 12, 2008.

1. herald

herald Chieftain

Playing as US (Lincoln), I have India (Asoka) as my long time vassal, I just finished mowing down the Zulu, and I want to give the former Zulu cities to my Vassal, but the option is not enabled in trade. Why?

2. omglazers

omglazers Warlord

Go to domestic advisor screen [f1] and liberate them using the button in the bottom right [although this may only liberate them to the zulu]

3. Joe Harker

Joe Harker 1st in the Premiership!

I believe it says what civ it will go to. Plus the city needs Indian culture to be the greatest of all foregin culture in it to be liberated to India

4. herald

herald Chieftain

Yes, but in the "trade" dialog there is an option to "trade" cities (along with resources, techs, etc.). Why cannot I not do it that way? I certainly don't want to give the cities back to the Zulu.

5. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

is it simply not there or is it there but redded out?

6. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

I seem to remember someone posting a solution to this in a cheesy moves thread.

Basically they went into WorldBuilder, deleted all the units and took the city with a barb. Then deleted the barb, then put their vassal's unit in the city. :shifty:

7. lordqarlyn

lordqarlyn Warlord

I noticed that problem too. And I had liberated a vassal's city from a common enemy, but was not allowed actually return it to the vassal.

My guess is it is due to the rules of when a vassal can break free. Give a vassal cities, they can cross that threshold and break off from you. Just my guess.

8. bestje

bestje Big Game Hunter

they don't have to break free just because they can though, liberating cities is a pretty hefty relations bonus i think

you can definitely give cities back to your vassal in bts

9. herald

herald Chieftain

okay, let me try and be clear. Sorry if I haven't been. I captured ENEMY cities, that i wish to give to my vassal, and the option to do so in trade does not even appear.

10. King Flevance

King Flevance Deity

So there is no liberation taking place?

(I dont know the answer either way but I am curious as to if it is possible to gifts cities to a vassal and if not, why not in your opinion?)

11. Echo of Celts

Echo of Celts Just Plain Crazy

Kill all the cities defenders with Gunships and let your vassal conquer it.

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

To give a city away
    1. It should not be in rebellion (if it is you don't really' own the city yet to give away

2. The AI has to Want it (they usually don't want cities that are far away or has a lot of someone else's culture there)

13. Xhaine

Xhaine Chieftain

Yes but i've notices that your vassal has to know where the city is as well, as in have that part of the map revealed, without that the city wont apear on the trade menu, if its just redded out they simply dont want the city

14. GIDS888

GIDS888 King

I don't believe you can give cities to a Vassal, they are your footstools after all.

Also giving them a city may give them enough clout to break free from you?

15. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

In BtS you can liberate cities to a vassal.

16. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

Not with certainty. Sometimes the red fist of liberation wants to give it to the AI. :mad: