Why cant I put two or more units in a same square or city?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by dane182, Dec 21, 2010.

1. dane182

dane182 Chieftain

Hi, I started civilization V yesterday, and notice two things.
    First,when I build two cavalry units, I wanted to move them to another city.I couldn't put them to go together,they went by seperate road.
    Second,I put one in that city,like I planned,but second one could not go inside the city.
    Am I missing something,or there are new rules in new Civ.
    How can I attack somebody if my units can't be in a same square and perform much stronger attack? I guess that I will have units all over the enemy city then !

2. kosak

kosak Chieftain

U trollin son?
    Moderator Action: Calling someone a troll is seen as trolling itself.

3. YourDeath/TSAR

YourDeath/TSAR Warlord

lol

CIV 5!! new game!! new experience!!
    civilization V has a totaly new aspect of a game where u have: one unit per tile!!!!!

i quoted that from a video, so dont say im trolling
    ;)

4. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

check the manual, turn on advisors! or check this forum for threads with "1UPT" in it...
    :rolleyes:

5. Naokaukodem

Naokaukodem Millenary King

It just that now you have only one unit per tile, with the exception that allows you to put an attacking unit and a non attacking unit in the same tile.

6. dane182

dane182 Chieftain

OK I figured out that, but what about units in the city?
    Why can't I put two the same units in one of my cities? It allows me only one.
    Maybe if I construct unit in city I can do how many I like, I don't know.

7. pat4

pat4 Believe it!!!

Whether he is genuine or not it will probably have the same effect. Let the raging commence :p

8. Naokaukodem

Well cities obey to the same rule than the other tiles: only one attacking/non-attacking unit per tile. The only exception with cities is when you just built a unit and there is already a unit in it. Then, you can have up to 2 units of the same type (maybe 3, 4, etc... but i really don't know here, never tried it) but they can't attack until there is 1 unit per tile back.

9. Revoran

Revoran Prince

I'm not sure if you're ... "being genuine"

However if you are, you really should have read the features for the game - one of the main advertised features of the game was that you cannot have 2 civilian or 2 military units on the same tile. It's called One Unit Per Tile or 1UPT, look it up.

10. You may have ONE military unit in a tile, you may have ONE civilian unit in a tile, you may have a civilian unit and a military unit on a tile together, in a city you may also have one GARRISONED unit which boosts the cities' defense. (nb: A non garrisoned unit does NOT contribute to the strength of the city.)

11. Ahriman

Ahriman Tyrant

Cities defend themselves, so unlike previous versions of Civ you don't need to have a bunch of units in the city in order to stop it from being captured.
    So there is no need for you to have 2 units in the city at once.

12. Left Foot

Left Foot Chieftain

When could you actually do what you're saying? Attacks have always been made one unit at a time regardless of how many of your units happened to be in a particular square...

13. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

Technically, with Civ 3's version of Generals (Great Leaders)... you could. But I doubt he's referring to that.

14. dane182

dane182 Chieftain

Maybe I was missunderstood ( excuse me for my english ) but I wanted to say that I was feeling more comfortable to attack unit or a city when I have good defensive unit in a same place.So when enemy tries to attack me,defensive units in a same square do the job,and save my attackers.
    What will be the best to do then? Defensive units are pointless to take if they can't help attackers.
    What is the best way to defend your city,if you can't put 5-6 good defensive units? Just to put them outside the city? Hmmm... I mean,what is the chance to save your city,if you have been attacked by 2-3 civilizations? You will have only 2-3 units in the city.I guess it is now more difficult then civ 4.

15. Naokaukodem

I did not see any defensive unit in Civ5, maybe the ranged units are defensive, but they are adapated to the 1UPT.

Exactly. Anyway you have no choice.

Nobody wants to be attacked by 2-3 civs, even in Civ4. The recommended behavior in Civ5 is to attack the other civs one by one, as soon as you can, because anyway they will become enemies with time. AIs are kind of annoying punks. Kill them. :D

16. tnick777

tnick777 Warlord

But you really don't need to station more than one (if any) units in a city since their defense and attack are all there...

17. Babri

Babri Emperor

Cities can defend themselves now in ciV even if you've NO unit in the city. Regarding defending the city, the easiest way is to place an archer in the city who can attack the invaders without any harm using the RANGED attack. Try to have some infantry or 2 in the nearby forests/hills to protect the city. Have some cavalry around to take down enemy vulnerable units. Keep in mind that now units don't get destroyed in a single battle unlike in previous civs so you'll have some time to move your wounded units away in a prolonged siege.