Why can't I que production?

stebbinsd

Chieftain
I'm used to Civilization 4, so maybe there is still a way to do this and they just changed the keyboard combinations.

In Civ 4, I can make a que for cities to build things simply by holding down the shift key while I click on the items to be built. If I hold down the Alt key as well, the build que will place an asterick (*) next to the item if it's something I can build repeatedly, like human units, which tells the game to make that unit in infinite amounts. Great for setting my cities to auto-pilot in the late game.

But it doesn't seem to let me do that in Civ 6. Did they take that feature out, or is there just a different way to do it? I can que my tech researching by holding down the shift key, so why can't I que my city's production?

It was a philosophical choice on the part of Firaxis to omit production queuing. It's something of a crutch, allowing you to ignore your cities for long periods.

Yes, there's a 'production queue mod' in the steam workshop, or you can get cqui which includes it.

It doesn't work on scenarios, but it works fine in the normal game.

I think I rarely used queuing even when it was a part of it

I didn't really use queues in 5 (I didn't even realize it had them), due to the small number of cities and the fact that the projects were 'indefinite'.

6 I find them a necessity, as managing 20 plus cities is a pain (especially with the non-indefinite projects) during the last portion of the game when I'm slogging my way to a victory I already know I've won (though now that I'm almost done with my win achievements, I'll likely go back to quitting when I have the clear win). There's nothing much to do with most of them end game.

4 (and earlier, though I don't remember if there were queues earlier), I found them necessary for the sheer number of cities and friggin units you had to make for a warfare (4 was lots of queues/make this unit indefinitely and rally points iirc).

Districts and requirement for wonders to be actually placed on map limit queue.

it would be nice to still have queue, though. Even if some things can't be put into it.

I'm used to Civilization 4, so maybe there is still a way to do this and they just changed the keyboard combinations.

In Civ 4, I can make a que for cities to build things simply by holding down the shift key while I click on the items to be built. If I hold down the Alt key as well, the build que will place an asterick (*) next to the item if it's something I can build repeatedly, like human units, which tells the game to make that unit in infinite amounts. Great for setting my cities to auto-pilot in the late game.

But it doesn't seem to let me do that in Civ 6. Did they take that feature out, or is there just a different way to do it? I can que my tech researching by holding down the shift key, so why can't I que my city's production?

Where have you been? :p ;)

The CQUI mod allows you to queue production. I didn't realize how much I liked to queue cities until going back to Civ 4 to play a mod. I'm old, you see. I like to make a decision once per city (the order isn't always the same, or I wouldn't need a queue, that's where I don't understand being against one -- it's not that it's *always* the same it's that it's *NOT* always the same). And, I would insert unit builds into the list as needed (say, surprise war or something fun).

There is no logic for taking it out. No one forced you to use a queue. Even Civ 3 has a queue.

It was a philosophical choice on the part of Firaxis to omit production queuing. It's something of a crutch, allowing you to ignore your cities for long periods.
Wait, is this the actual reason why production queues don't exist in VI? Did the devs say this?

Districts and requirement for wonders to be actually placed on map limit queue.

it would be nice to still have queue, though. Even if some things can't be put into it.
The queue with CQUI had no problem with districts and wonders - you pick where to place it when adding to the queue, and then it's placed when it comes up. Once you have a district in the queue, you can add the corresponding buildings in order. The only problem I've had is if you've not reached the population requirement for the district when you want to add it to the queue.

Wait, is this the actual reason why production queues don't exist in VI? Did the devs say this?

Pretty sure this is speculation as to why it's not there. I don't think they actually said anything

I think the Production Queue should be reintroduced. I can hardly see why it's a crutch - you're still the one making the decision, just doing it ahead of time. It's not comparable to Automated Workers, which is something the developers explicitly said they wanted to move away from.

Where I really miss the queue is when you interrupt building one thing in order to quickly build something else in the meantime. It's much nicer to be able to change the order of things in the queue than to cancel something entirely and go back to it later, especially as the current interface doesn't make it clear what you've already sunk production into, making it possible to forget something you thought you'd already built.

I don't think they came out and addressed it to the production queue, but that's the rationale for why they gave the builders charges and removed worker automation.

I LOVE queues in Civ, and have always used them. I've never felt they remove me from the decision making process like say automating a worker would. But....I will say.... that while I don't oppose their return in VI; I haven't missed them as -unlike the previous releases- it is rare for me to have such a clear idea of what I want to build next anywhere in advance. The game changes to a much higher degree than it ever has before. So I'm neutral on this subject.

Now were we talking about the ability to tell a unit to to the back of the order queue (aka WAIT) - that is a whole nother matter that needs addressing stat! But I'm the only one bothered by not being able to do that apparently ;)

While I barely used queues in previous installments (beyond infinite queue Heroic Epic cities in 4) I still think there is no rational reason they aren't in 6. It takes at most about an afternoon to put them in the game (as modders proofed) and everyone who doesn't want them can just, oh I don't know, not use them.

The only reason I can think of is that Ed Beach doesn't like automation in general for strategy games, hense why workers have charges now, but then why do we still have tech queues? Isn't what tech my civ is going to be researching a bigger "decision" than being able to loop units and builders out of cities on full development?

I think the Production Queue should be reintroduced. I can hardly see why it's a crutch - you're still the one making the decision, just doing it ahead of time. It's not comparable to Automated Workers, which is something the developers explicitly said they wanted to move away from.

Where I really miss the queue is when you interrupt building one thing in order to quickly build something else in the meantime. It's much nicer to be able to change the order of things in the queue than to cancel something entirely and go back to it later, especially as the current interface doesn't make it clear what you've already sunk production into, making it possible to forget something you thought you'd already built.
The build list shows production progress for anything that you have previously worked on.

The queue with CQUI had no problem with districts and wonders - you pick where to place it when adding to the queue, and then it's placed when it comes up. Once you have a district in the queue, you can add the corresponding buildings in order. The only problem I've had is if you've not reached the population requirement for the district when you want to add it to the queue.
Another problem I encounter with it is when I have the various Walls queued and I reach the tech that obsoletes them.

As someone who has ADD, I love the inclusion of the build queue. It's far too easy for me to get distracted and forget that, after I build Item A in a city, I want to then build Item B. The build queue helps alleviate this problem.

This is a TBS, not an RTS or FPS. Your ability to manage time, your ability to constantly notice things around you, and your ability to manage the interface, should not be a factor in determine skills as there is no time limit for each turn. This is about as much of a crutch as using the keyboard is.

And even RTS's have queues too even when the focus is limiting idle time.

Anyhow, CQUI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom