Why cant I steal Machu Pichu

schadenfreudy

Chieftain
Hey, in my last two games, I have twice conquered a city that looked like it had Machu Pichu, owned by the civ that the game said had Machu Pichu, but whent he city fell, the tile reverted to a normal looking mountain, and the city claimied to not have the wonder. What am I doing wrong?

Hey, in my last two games, I have twice conquered a city that looked like it had Machu Pichu, owned by the civ that the game said had Machu Pichu, but whent he city fell, the tile reverted to a normal looking mountain, and the city claimied to not have the wonder. What am I doing wrong?

I've had this happen a few times as well. Check out which civ built Machu Pichu (in the diplomacy screen) before targeting adjacent cities.

There's a bug with MP that makes it get destroyed when you capture the city it's in. Check the confirmed bugs forum for more details. Civ 5 gen discussion > Bugs > Confirmed Bugs

A city may look like it has Machu Picchu if its building it. Check one of your own cities bordering a mountain to see if its built already (if you have the tech).

A city may look like it has Machu Picchu if its building it. Check one of your own cities bordering a mountain to see if its built already (if you have the tech).

Or check the Global Diplomacy screen, which lists which wonders have been built by which civilizations.

Here's the thread from the Civ5 - Confirmed Bugs forum
[BUG] Wonder destroyed by capturing city (Machu Picchu)

Bibor & Phrederick, the description in the OP exactly matches what happens with this confirmed bug. So this isn't a matter of a player going after the wrong city or mistaking the graphic of a partially completed for the completed one.

I've had this exact thing happen to me and I knew for certain that was the correct city, because the pop-up told me it was that city when my neighbor completed it.

Phrederick, edcrane already mentioned he'd checked the diplo screen and knew the civ he attack had in fact built the Machu Picchu.

Every, please check out these links. Then you'll see that this is in fact a bug with this wonder only.

Welcome to CivFanatics, Adrian Barbu. I just tried the trick with the GA and confirm that I was able to take Machu Picchu in tact by first culture bombing the tile (fortunately the wonder was built on my side of the city, unlike the Damascus example earlier in the thread).

While it's not a very practical workaround, it does prove the theory that it Machu Picchu temporarily is not valid because the city doesn't have a nearby mountain before the ownership of the tiles surrounding the city are transferred. This should allow Firaxis to solve this problem.

This post in that bug thread does a very good job of explaining why this bug happens. I've emboldened the the cause to make it stand out better.

So to get around this bug you need a Great Artist to culture bomb in a position that puts Machu Picchu's mountain tile in your boarders before you take the city that built it.

What if the computer "cheats" and builds Machu Picchu, before the mountain is "in" its territory. The coding may be corrupted once the mountain does become part of the territory. That would cause it to "disappear" because it really was never attached to a tile to begin with.

After the 1.141 patch in a pre patch game, it allowed MP to be built again, probably due to the same reason.

Top Bottom