why can't I trade?

pumpkin

Chieftain
Hi,

I've been away from the game for a while so my memory is lacking a bit. I can't figure out why I am "not connected to any trade networks". I can trade techs but no resources. I have open borders with everyone. I have border contact with Ramesses but no road going into his territory. Is not border contact enough?

My Beijing is on a river that flows through no-man's land to the sea and then another river flows from the same coastal segment [sic!] to Hannibal's and Justinian's cities, and even though I have Sailing I apparently can't trade along this river.

Is not something fishy here? Should I not be able to trade with all three of them?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you need a road connecting.

What does [sic!] mean?

And i don't think you can trade along an allies river.

What does [sic!] mean?
That Pumpkin is aware that he's using the incorrect terminology, in this case calling tiles 'segments'. It's normally used when quoting someone, to let readers know that the error was made by the person you are quoting; here so that people don't wonder if segments are a new strange Civ concept, and instead realise that the correct term has momentarily escaped him.

Well, border contact is not enough. You need a route - road, or river/cost with sailing - to be connected to another civilisation.

Do you have actual trade routes with the other civs?

And, as to [sic], it comes from a latin word meaning "thus" or "so". Contrary to popular belief it is not an acronym of "said in context" or "spelling is correct".

Ok, so that explains why I can't trade with Ramesses. But what about Hannibal and Justinian? We are connected by river (all three have cities on the river1>coast>river2 stretch) and I have Sailing. But river1 flows through no-man's land, is that the reason?

(And as for sic! I was referring to the fact that I said the second river flows from the coast towards Hannibal's city.)

Thanks.

Hi,

I've been away from the game for a while so my memory is lacking a bit. I can't figure out why I am "not connected to any trade networks". I can trade techs but no resources. I have open borders with everyone. I have border contact with Ramesses but no road going into his territory. Is not border contact enough?

My Beijing is on a river that flows through no-man's land to the sea and then another river flows from the same coastal segment [sic!] to Hannibal's and Justinian's cities, and even though I have Sailing I apparently can't trade along this river.

Is not something fishy here? Should I not be able to trade with all three of them?

Thanks.

Couple of things I know:

* Only contact (and Alphabet) is required for technology trading. Trade network is irrelevant.

* The capital cities must be connected for resource trading (but I don't that's relevant to your situation)

* In BtS, the Sailing technology is required to run the trade network along rivers if said rivers are outside of your cultural borders. For rivers within borders, the Sailing technology is not required.

And one thing I'm going to guess:

The sailing tech allows the use of extracultural rivers that are connected to cities, roads, or intracultural rivers, but it won't run upstream otherwise. Hence your network capability reaches downriver and along the coast, but it cannot use the Utica river. Hannibal will need Sailing in order to cover that portion of the network.

Just a guess.

And yes, it's fishy.

-J

Now that you mention it, I've had that happen: my trade to a certain civ disappeared, and I couldn't understand as we had been trading via our mutual coastal cities (I had one, he had one). Maybe some barb or enemy civ was blockading his city for those few turns we lost trade. I had no view of his city at the time so that may have been it.

Top Bottom