1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can't the player produce consumer goods in Civ games?

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by historix69, Aug 16, 2016.

1. historix69

historix69 Emperor

The first civ-games can be partly excluded since they had trade yield from tiles and traderoutes which could be turned into luxury/happiness via slider. City production allowed to build caravan units which could be turned into traderoutes with distant cities to increase trade and thus also luxury/happiness in the city (when luxury rate was not set to 0%).

Civ is now 25 years old. In general all Civ games feature food and production as major tile yields with food being consumed by population/population growth and production being used to build military units, buildings and wonders. There is no such option to build an industry for consumer goods which can be traded or consumed by population providing contentedness / happiness, starting with a textile industry and developing into more modern types like an automobile industry or electronic industry.
    (Luxuries in Civ5 cannot compensate this since you get a luxury via improvement but not by working the tile. Also luxuries are not consumed like consumer goods but count as a limited happyness bonus.)

Population working on tiles in Civ is compensated with just 2 Food to consume each turn. They do not seem to get any salary for their work nor can they sell any surplus food or production from their tile-yield on the market. A salary would allow them to accumulate wealth or buy luxuries from the market to increase their personal happiness. It would also allow taxation.

If there is a city with high Food value and one with high Production value, in Civ games they cannot exchange food surplus and production surplus between the two cities. One will have a fast growing population of well-fed farmers but no production while the other will have a slow growing, almost starving population of high productive workers/miners. (Civ5 Trade-Routes do not count in this context since they do not transfer any food or production between cities, they simply create food/production like a joker and the jokers are limited. Partial exception is the caravan unit in Civ1 which allowed to contribute to production of other cities.)

Colonization allowed to produce several goods including food, cotton, fur, tobacco, ore, tools and weapons but most goods were meant simply as trade goods for export to the european market and could not be consumed by the own population. Tools were required for improvements and high level buildings while horses and weapons were used to equip/create military units.

2. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Probably because it doesn't really have much "visual" feedback. Civ has always been a game where you see your empire develop, stuff that happens entirely within your cities isn't exactly the most interesting thing to look at.

So while I like games with production lines I don't think it would really fit the spirit of Civ. But I hope we get a serious economy-focused-mod for Civ VI, Civ 5 was really lacking one.

3. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Moved to Ideas & Suggestions.

4. HorseshoeHermit

HorseshoeHermit 20% accurate as usual, Morty

Caveman2Cosmos' interleaved resource requirements and resource-providing buildings give you the feel of managing consumer goods to improve the satisfaction of your populace. I don't recall if this also exists in Rise of Mankind. Specialization is sorta ehhhh, with each city of course exporting goods that come from its own tiles, while you're free to scaffold up the other requirements however you want. But then, some buildings are just hard prerequisites for other buildings, which is an annoyance with C2C's unwieldy documentation and illegible tech summary popups.

So, I rebuff the claim that it's unexciting or counter to the genre. I love everything about C2C, and a game just like it only requires imagination.

5. nukehumvee

nukehumvee Warlord

Civ is all about the things you see on the map. I don't think consumer goods fall within this criterion, not to mention that until the Industrial Era, the concept of consumer goods and mass production did not exist. Let's just assume that later-game Production (especially if you have built Factories in your cities) involves producing consumer goods.

6. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I would love to see consumer and manufactured goods on civ. But that's a concept for an expansion I believe. When corporations make a comback perhaps we could get a manufactor disctict.

7. SMA333M

SMA333M Warlord

Corporations and producing goods would be interesting. Maybe in an expansion. But the game mechanics for that should not be too complicated. After all, this is Civilization, not Anno or Patrician. Maybe they should add an Economy Victory too with that.

8. historix69

historix69 Emperor

I think it would be fine if they added functions to produce, store, transport and consume goods to the core mechanics so people can use it for their own mods without need to add a mod dll which would increase chance of incompatibility when the game is patched or receives addons.

9. Ciarson

Ciarson Chieftain

i dont think adding a new type of victory is good, the corporation and producing goods thing can be added to the cultural victory. (dress like them, live like them, listen to the same kind of music, ...)

for that, you would need to have cities that need specific supplies to raise it's happiness (or ammenities).

if you cant have it you would need to trade with another nation but that nation would gain influence over your own nation.

let's say for example "cars":

- there could be a national wonder (something like "volkswagen") that allow you to build cars as luxury.

- then you can chose which factory would focus on building it, but it would cost you strategic ressources (like 1 iron and 1 petrol) so you have to chose between your army and your citizen.

- any extra car's could be traded to foreign countries to increse your influence (but that also mean you are reducing the amount of strategic ressources available for your army.

another example could be "wine":

wine is one of the first luxury you have in game, however there could be a world wonder that allow you to create a special wine " champagne" wich would be a unique luxury ressource, making influence spreading a little more easier.

NB: it would be special if the trading of ressource between nations could only be possible if you can build (or have already) a trade route between the two nations. that way, trading luxury ressources would be linked to a trade route and a third party could attack that trade route if he dont like the way you trade.